Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread

P. 105 - ALL of the 2018 announcements!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Re: Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread

Postby DirkFunk » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:08 pm

CaptainUnknown wrote:
Superbatboy wrote:So what's this about Six Flags adding 5 recording breaking and/or first for North America for 2018?? Can't wait to see what these are...

Some of them will probably as asinine as half the "records" Valravn broke. But after Cedar Fair's 4 new coasters announcement, I'd like to bet that it was a scramble by the SF marketing team to appease the stockholders.

It was made to a room full of ACErs at CoasterCon.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:43 am

CaptainUnknown wrote:
Superbatboy wrote:So what's this about Six Flags adding 5 recording breaking and/or first for North America for 2018?? Can't wait to see what these are...

Some of them will probably as asinine as half the "records" Valravn broke. But after Cedar Fair's 4 new coasters announcement, I'd like to bet that it was a scramble by the SF marketing team to appease the stockholders.

I do find it interesting that both companies kinda went quiet for 2017 and are going extreme in 2018. I think everyone would've benefited if one went big in 2017 and the other in 2018.
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club.
Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club
Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club
Joined January 30, 2015

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Themonerd » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:02 am

Rollercoaster Rider wrote:
CaptainUnknown wrote:

I do find it interesting that both companies kinda went quiet for 2017 and are going extreme in 2018. I think everyone would've benefited if one went big in 2017 and the other in 2018.

Maybe it's because the theme parks in Orlando (Disney, Universal) make huge investments this year, and those parks make a shit ton more than Cedar Fair and Six Flags.

Edit: Not maybe, DEFINITELY
Last edited by Themonerd on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:54 pm.
If it has :airtime: count me in!
I've created 3 locked threads. I should start using that search function.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:08 pm

I'm still HIGHLY skeptical that this will be anything remotely resembling "extreme", or actually even very sizable investments... Six Flags is still in "conservative spending mode" until they prove otherwise to me.
Top 10 Coasters! 1.Fury 2.Millennium Force 3.Maverick 4.The Voyage 5. Lightning Rod 6.Storm Chaser 7.El Toro 8.Phantom's Revenge 9. Goliath (SFGAm) 10. Ravine Flyer II Honorable Mentions: Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:24 pm

Themonerd wrote:Maybe it's because the theme parks in Orlando (Disney, Universal) make huge investments this year, and those parks make a shit ton more than Cedar Fair and Six Flags.

So you think Disney/Universal destination parks compete directly against Six Flags/Cedar Fair seasonal parks? Isn't that special?
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby chammonds96 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:08 am

DILinator wrote:I'm still HIGHLY skeptical that this will be anything remotely resembling "extreme", or actually even very sizable investments... Six Flags is still in "conservative spending mode" until they prove otherwise to me.

SF capital investments are based on a formula. One that they are very happy with and have no intention to change soon by their statements. They are not likely increasing investments over 9% of revenue and actually heavily hinted in last quarters conference call, that the % may decrease as revenue increases. One could interpret that to mean SF has a capital investment cap in mind and when that is reached by the formula, the % will decrease. Currently SF formula gives them about 75M/yr for rides. The question may be when the formula reaches what level do they cap it...80M, 90M, etc... Each 100M in revenue increase adds 9M to the overall capital investment budget and out of that about 5.4M would go to rides using the formula outline.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby VegasBaby » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:03 pm

DILinator wrote:I'm still HIGHLY skeptical that this will be anything remotely resembling "extreme", or actually even very sizable investments... Six Flags is still in "conservative spending mode" until they prove otherwise to me.

Exactly, as an enthusiast I'd love to see Six Flags go back into big spending mode but I just don't see that happening. They haven't purchased a B&M since X-Flight in 2012 and the last coaster that wasn't a RMC-makeover or S&S Free Spin was Fu11 Throttle in 2013. They seem to be content doing smaller annual updates and putting the same rides in every park.
Coaster Count: 187 Last Coaster: Mako
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) Twisted Colossus 6) Maverick 7) Top Thrill Dragster 8) Mako 9) Lightning Rod 10) Storm Runner

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Manic Monte » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Perhaps. But to be fair, within those parameters Six Flags has still managed to be the ones to grab RMC early to create some of the best rides on the planet starting with New Texas Giant. They've also manged to created a pretty slick dark ride (something nobody could have seen coming), AND bring back the "flat ride package" to their parks (something else no one saw coming).

If they can do that again in 2018, I'm all in.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:32 pm

They've stated numerous times on calls that they are still in the same mode of spending and are projecting to decrease their expenditures as a percentage of revenue. If people want to believe that they've decided to change now and build a bunch of gigacoasters and not that they've contracted for attractions with records that are basically meaningless (oh, the tallest S&S Freefly coaster! The tallest VR coaster!), that's on them to be disappointed about later. This thread exists to act as a reality check for them.

In the meantime, be happy about the array of top notch B&M, RMC, and Intamin rides already present along with their commitment to indoor rides/attractions that Cedar Fair doesn't even try to match.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:40 am

Manic Monte wrote:

Perhaps. But to be fair, within those parameters Six Flags has still managed to be the ones to grab RMC early to create some of the best rides on the planet starting with New Texas Giant. They've also manged to created a pretty slick dark ride (something nobody could have seen coming), AND bring back the "flat ride package" to their parks (something else no one saw coming).

If they can do that again in 2018, I'm all in.

Yes, this is very true. I haven't ridden any of the S&S Free Fly coasters yet, and only one Six Flags RMC conversion, but I respect the heck out of their foresight in working with that company in the first place, and I love the Justice League dark ride! I just can't help but chuckle at the marketing hyperbole they're likely using here, when we know we're not looking at a bunch of large, record breaking B&M or Intamin coasters here.
Top 10 Coasters! 1.Fury 2.Millennium Force 3.Maverick 4.The Voyage 5. Lightning Rod 6.Storm Chaser 7.El Toro 8.Phantom's Revenge 9. Goliath (SFGAm) 10. Ravine Flyer II Honorable Mentions: Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!