TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags [FUN] Corporate Discussion Thread

p. 91: Six Flags and Cedar Fair to enter "merger of equals" agreement, company will still be called "Six Flags"

Any idea when six flags is going to announce the 2019 additions?

No official date has been announced, but it's typically on August 30/31. But it sounds like SFA has some kind of announcement to make on 8/16, given a mysterious sign that appeared near Apocalypse.

Ya I got an email today that SFNE is announcing on 8/30.....they play it up line it’s amazing but I don’t expect anything as big as HQ:S from last year.....they did dismantle Crime Wave but the footprint isn’t huge for anything epic IMO.....and I’ve been told Crime Wave is coming back.....who knows really

Ya I got an email today that SFNE is announcing on 8/30.....they play it up line it’s amazing but I don’t expect anything as big as HQ:S from last year.....they did dismantle Crime Wave but the footprint isn’t huge for anything epic IMO.....and I’ve been told Crime Wave is coming back.....who knows really

The email was cut and paste. I'm on the email list of several parks, it was the same. Insert park name...."incredible, UNBELIEVABLE new attraction for the 2019 season."

The more interesting, if you want to call it that things, was SF turning a season membership into essentially a hotel rewards program like Wyndham or Choice Hotels.

The email was cut and paste. I'm on the email list of several parks, it was the same. Insert park name...."incredible, UNBELIEVABLE new attraction for the 2019 season."

The more interesting, if you want to call it that things, was SF turning a season membership into essentially a hotel rewards program like Wyndham or Choice Hotels.

Ya figured as much. I saw that rewards program announcement too in that email.....looks like they're rolling it out as a test now and then will go live with it next season......I don't really care much about discounts cuz we don't buy stuff really at the park - we already have the dining passes so our visits are essentially free - but offering skip the line passes as a reward would be good.....

Ya figured as much. I saw that rewards program announcement too in that email.....looks like they're rolling it out as a test now and then will go live with it next season......I don't really care much about discounts cuz we don't buy stuff really at the park - we already have the dining passes so our visits are essentially free - but offering skip the line passes as a reward would be good.....

The tracking rides for points seems like it will be a nightmare unless SF makes major investments in a automated scanner system..ie..how CP does it for fast lane on Steel Vengeance. The scanner system could incorporate the skip line passes for members too. Currently people have to go to get paper passes from guest services.

I’ve seen some complaining about the new reward program on twitter and Facebook. I don’t get it because 1. You don’t have to join and 2. You check in for rides using the mobile app. So it’s essentially a way for them to figure out what is popular and give you some FREE rewards for helping out. Who doesn’t like FREE crap?

Ya they need to start using the mobile app in a better way with or without a rewards program....its assinine that I have to stop in at Flash Pass center to get those dumb paper STL passes and its equally assinine how you have to declare your ride and that it expires after the day.....I've always said they need to just link up that feature on the app and then have scanners at every ride.....once you use the STL pass its deactivated on the app and you can't use it again....implementing this would make it easy to tie in the rewards all into the same system......but they would need an upgrade in equipment and software for that - honestly not sure how they can offer this program without system upgrades

They need the wait times on the app to be more accurate too and available away from the park.....anybody notice how when your not there the wait times don't show up? lol.....they want you to go to the park before they'll let you see the wait times

The only thing that frustrates me about the whole membership thing... Is that it seems like Six Flags is caring less and less about their "traditional" season pass holders. It's like "Oh, hey, you don't want to pay monthly for a membership to our parks? Well F-U!"

If I could pay the entire 12 months worth of a membership up front, and move on with my life then I'd gladly buy one... But until that day comes... No membership for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The only thing that frustrates me about the whole membership thing... Is that it seems like Six Flags is caring less and less about their "traditional" season pass holders. It's like "Oh, hey, you don't want to pay monthly for a membership to our parks? Well F-U!"

If I could pay the entire 12 months worth of a membership up front, and move on with my life then I'd gladly buy one... But until that day comes... No membership for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would pay in full too but I don't see the monthly thing as a deal breaker, especially cause it's not expensive. I switched to a membership last year before they made the bigger changes simply because I didn't want to have to go to the park before October 31st to get my free upgrade to gold again.

I've been debating canceling my membership in December though and waiting until next September to sign up again simply because I haven't been going a lot. I've been going to Busch and Kings Dominion more this year even though it's way further.

Edited by Satans Hockey

The memberships marketing is partially about FOMO. For the lower memberships they are trying to get you to pay significantly more for stuff you already were getting with a gold pass. The marketing of FOMO on this starts with the red cups instead ofthe purple ones. No reason to have them other than to show "I'm part of exclusive group supposedly." It's not like the other cups where colors denote all season vs pay for refill. The 2nd layer is the membership lanyard which you notice people seem to all wear while a lot less wear lanyards for season passes. There are a bunch of other things that are just about the appearance of exclusivity with none or small practical meaning in many cases on park experience.

I would pay in full too but I don't see the monthly thing as a deal breaker, especially cause it's not expensive.

For me it's not the cost of the monthly payment that bothers me... It's more the "why pay for something I'm not really using" factor. We typically hit up SEVERAL Six Flags parks early on in the season, and then a few Six Flags parks late in the season. So a traditional season pass makes sense. Where as a membership it's like "Why pay every month for all these months in the middle that we never use it?"

I'm sure I am in the minority here... But the membership just doesn't make sense for us. Personally.

That being said, obviously they are doing great for Six Flags, or they wouldn't be pushing them as much as they are.

I've been debating canceling my membership in December though and waiting until next September to sign up again simply because I haven't been going a lot...

*ding ding ding* This is my exact issue with them... Is I just can't justify paying a monthly payment (no matter how small) for months on end when I'm not even using it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would pay in full too but I don't see the monthly thing as a deal breaker, especially cause it's not expensive.

For me it's not the cost of the monthly payment that bothers me... It's more the "why pay for something I'm not really using" factor. We typically hit up SEVERAL Six Flags parks early on in the season, and then a few Six Flags parks late in the season. So a traditional season pass makes sense. Where as a membership it's like "Why pay every month for all these months in the middle that we never use it?"

I'm sure I am in the minority here... But the membership just doesn't make sense for us. Personally.

That being said, obviously they are doing great for Six Flags, or they wouldn't be pushing them as much as they are.

I've been debating canceling my membership in December though and waiting until next September to sign up again simply because I haven't been going a lot...

*ding ding ding* This is my exact issue with them... Is I just can't justify paying a monthly payment (no matter how small) for months on end when I'm not even using it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's still the same money though no matter which way you look at it. You're either paying $65 or so up front or $5 and change a month so the membership doesn't bother me because it's not costing more. As long as you go more than 3-4 times a year it easily pays for itself. I'll definitely hit up the park more to get my money's worth and I'm going to great America for a day too so that makes it worth it too, I've just been busier this year and been going elsewhere.

I'm only considering canceling come December and joining again in September 2019 simply because I have no plans next year to go to any other six flags parks and I can wait until September to hit up great adventure again cause even though it's my home park and it has great rides I just enjoy going to Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion more.

It's still the same money though no matter which way you look at it. You're either paying $65 or so up front or $5 and change a month so the membership doesn't bother me because it's not costing more.

The pricing is not the same. It's not $65, which is what Gold Passes during flash at many parks.

Parks like Stl, NE, OG, Escape all had Gold Flash sale prices of $54, the lowest memberships at those parks is now $7.25 to 7.99 which means $87 to $96 per year cost. It's another 12/yr unless people choose a $20 deposit. So it's potentially $99 to $108 for what the same benefits as a gold pass in 2018 for a 2019 membership.

The second group of parks which had flash sale prices at $64 to $67, OT, FT, GAm, GAdv have their lowest membership now at $7.85 to $8.40 which means $94 to $101 per year cost. Without the deposit they go up to $106 and $113 per yea cost.

Memberships are a brilliantly designed massive price hike on previous Gold Pass benefits, disguised by a small monthly payment instead of a lump sum. It will be interesting to see how many people figure it out it's around a $35 up to $55 price increase from the sale prices for 2018 season passes. For now FOMO appears to be prevailing. I was at SFFT and SFOT and was talking to people waiting for rope drop. They never calculated it out, they were enticed by the monthly not realizing how much more they were paying until I started talking to them.

You don't think they are going to have their labor day sales where you can get a membership cheaper than that? I'm paying $5 and change right now from last years labor day sale. I know they rolled out this new memberships after that but I'd still be surpised to see them not roll out their usual labor day sale prices.

Until there's free dining added to the memberships like my Combo Gold Pass currently has, I'm never touching the memberships no matter how many emails/surveys they send me about it. There isn't any immediate benefit to switching either, unless you're a big spender inside the parks and really care about a special ticket line.

You don't think they are going to have their labor day sales where you can get a membership cheaper than that? I'm paying $5 and change right now from last years labor day sale. I know they rolled out this new memberships after that but I'd still be surpised to see them not roll out their usual labor day sale prices.

65% off the "list price" is what they stated in the latest newsletter... Figure $0.25-$1.50 less per month than what they currently list at basically...

65% off the "list price" is what they stated in the latest newsletter... Figure $0.25-$1.50 less per month than what they currently list at basically...

All SF list prices are inherently bogus. Nobody actually pays the $250 list gold pass price b/c it's always a fake sale for it being a high % off so it's like $85 and then flash sale it's like $65. Memberships pricing is just like passes, there is always a fake sale, it's currently 58% to 63% off. It's actually the price they have always had it at. Memberships have never been included in flash sale, they have kept it at the always fake discount price, which is the standard price in actuality.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.sixflags.com/xxxxxxxx/store/flash-sale-zap

Get a preview of flash sale prices for your local park by replacing xxxxxx with your local park website name. Not all info is entirely accurate yet, but it looks like I'll be processing my Darien Lake pass on August 30 and heading straight to some other Six Flags parks for the holiday weekend!

Assuming they have their s*it together. Which I bet they won't and they won't have any idea what I'm talking about our why anyone in their right mind would buy one...

For memberships you get the 2 (or 4 at some parks) pass discount for single passes during the flash sale, as well as 3 free months at the end of your term... so when you cancel you get 3 months after that.... at least that's how I understand the fine print. As pointed out below, not really a deal compared to the regular pass, but, *shrug* guess it's better than nothing.

Edited by anonymouscactus

https://www.sixflags.com/xxxxxxxx/store/flash-sale-zap

Get a preview of flash sale prices for your local park by replacing xxxxxx with your local park website name. Not all info is entirely accurate yet, but it looks like I'll be processing my Darien Lake pass on August 30 and heading straight to some other Six Flags parks for the holiday weekend!

For memberships you get the 2 (or 4 at some parks) pass discount for single passes during the flash sale, as well as 3 free months at the end of your term... so when you cancel you get 3 months after that.... at least that's how I understand the fine print.

The 3 months free for people that already have 2018 passes really is just making you whole. You already paid for the rest of 2018, but they start charging you the membership now. The 3months free at the end is making up for the double charge in 2018. It all balances out in the end.

Quick question for those with Diamond Elite passes. For SINGLE DAY flash passes It says flash pass discount of $15 but it also says free level upgrade. So if REGULAR flash pass is $40 it would cost $25 for a gold flash pass? Do they double stack like that? I would imagine it wouldn't be one or the other because the upgrade is already going to win out price-wise. Seems like a good deal if that's the case.

Is one pass discount good for multiple people when it comes to purchasing flash pass? Ie: can I get the discount for a 2 person flash pass with only one diamond elite card? (since it's all one transaction anyways? Or does every person need the elite?)

Just trying to price out my game plan for the flash sale... thinking of doing one diamond elite and one standard gold pass for maximum value for a couple. I'm pricing out every single option because I'm a cheapo like that.