TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags [FUN] Corporate Discussion Thread

p. 91: Six Flags and Cedar Fair to enter "merger of equals" agreement, company will still be called "Six Flags"

I learned that with EPR's Parks that are managed by Premier parks like Elitch Gardens, Darian Lake, Frontier City, White Water Bay OKC, Magic Springs,Wild Waves,Clementon Park The Wet n Wild Parks, and Nashville Shores that if you have a season pass at any of these parks. New this season With your season pass you will get a one time free admission with your pass to any of the companies Sister Parks. I learned this at the beginning of the season I emailed my home park Frontier City and they responded confirming what I heard about the pass. It is something new they started this season it is not advertised something the company is testing out this season. So this summer I plan on visiting Elitch Gardens and Magic Springs. I still do wish Six Flags would lease/buy some of their former parks. Getting that Gold Pass would go a long way with numerous parks.

In my opinion: they handle it for a year and see how it goes. If it's okay if they buy it

Well, that's not usually how these things work. How many years has Cedar Fair been managing Gilroy Gardens but they don't own it?

True, the girloy was in the paramount package (and cmq tried to sell it together with cga years ago). Here are six flags that went looking for waterworld. And honestly I do not think the company aspires to just manage ,dividing the earnings

And most of all, I would love to see them try and buy back Six Flags New Orleans. I know it would be a stretch, considering the city is probably not very trusting of them, but I think it is possible. They have recently rejected just about all offers from the park (and all three of the offers were more than what the property is worth), because the city said those companies have the finances to buy the park, but they don't have the funds to back their projects. I mean, Six Flags has the immediate funds to buy and rebuild the park. Imagine if they RMC'd the Mega Zeph!

That would be awesome, but there is no way Six Flags will buy that New Orleans park again. It was their least profitable park while operating and, as it is, the cost of repairs would exceed the park's worth. That was the reason Six Flags cut their losses and got out of Dodge (with their hefty insurance check in hand). That was right after the hurricane. Since then, the park has been looted, vandalized, infested with snakes and gators, and left to rust in the weather for 12 years. The cost to refurbish the park would be much more now.

Now, if another company rebuilt the park into something profitable, I can see Six Flags looking to buy it again. The way it sits now, I don't think the company would touch it with a 100-foot pole.

Maybe. I'd love to see that one company lead by Tonya Pope win the favor of the city so they could reopen the park. Their plan would include retracking the Mega Zeph and getting Timberliners for it (imagine, it was a fantastic ride back then, even with Gerstlauers, imagine it with Timberliners!), reopening the Jester with new trains and a lot more themeing and under the name "Driskill Mountain," a full new water park, they would use the old Jocco's building for a recreation of the classic "Laff in the Dark" ride (they said there would be some Jocco Easter eggs), new water rides, more shows, and more overall themeing. But I don't see why the city is so reluctant to let anybody have the property. The Jazzland Park (the one lead by Tonya Pope) Facebook page gives weekly updates and the city has been pushing this around for SIX YEARS. But something interesting I learned when listening to in interview of Tonya Pope on In the Loop, is that Six Flags New Orleans actually pulled pretty good attendance numbers. She said that each year, the park averaged about 800,000 guests, which is pretty good.

And most of all, I would love to see them try and buy back Six Flags New Orleans. I know it would be a stretch, considering the city is probably not very trusting of them, but I think it is possible. They have recently rejected just about all offers from the park (and all three of the offers were more than what the property is worth), because the city said those companies have the finances to buy the park, but they don't have the funds to back their projects. I mean, Six Flags has the immediate funds to buy and rebuild the park. Imagine if they RMC'd the Mega Zeph!

That would be awesome, but there is no way Six Flags will buy that New Orleans park again. It was their least profitable park while operating and, as it is, the cost of repairs would exceed the park's worth. That was the reason Six Flags cut their losses and got out of Dodge (with their hefty insurance check in hand). That was right after the hurricane. Since then, the park has been looted, vandalized, infested with snakes and gators, and left to rust in the weather for 12 years. The cost to refurbish the park would be much more now.

Now, if another company rebuilt the park into something profitable, I can see Six Flags looking to buy it again. The way it sits now, I don't think the company would touch it with a 100-foot pole.

Maybe. I'd love to see that one company lead by Tonya Pope win the favor of the city so they could reopen the park. Their plan would include retracking the Mega Zeph and getting Timberliners for it (imagine, it was a fantastic ride back then, even with Gerstlauers, imagine it with Timberliners!), reopening the Jester with new trains and a lot more themeing and under the name "Driskill Mountain," a full new water park, they would use the old Jocco's building for a recreation of the classic "Laff in the Dark" ride (they said there would be some Jocco Easter eggs), new water rides, more shows, and more overall themeing. But I don't see why the city is so reluctant to let anybody have the property. The Jazzland Park (the one lead by Tonya Pope) Facebook page gives weekly updates and the city has been pushing this around for SIX YEARS. But something interesting I learned when listening to in interview of Tonya Pope on In the Loop, is that Six Flags New Orleans actually pulled pretty good attendance numbers. She said that each year, the park averaged about 800,000 guests, which is pretty good.

That is interesting, as I'd always heard that the park hardly made any money because of its location in a relatively poor area, where many of the locals either weren't interested in, or couldn't afford, season passes. The park was already on the verge of bankruptcy when Six Flags scooped it up. But then again, I received that info from enthusiast blogs, so it may or may not be true.

I hope Tonya Pope is successful in reviving the park, though. I never visited the original park, but the idea of a Mardi Gras theme park seems like a lot of fun. The Mega Zeph looks like a great ride, too.

That is interesting, as I'd always heard that the park hardly made any money because of its location in a relatively poor area, where many of the locals either weren't interested in, or couldn't afford, season passes. The park was already on the verge of bankruptcy when Six Flags scooped it up. But then again, I received that info from enthusiast blogs, so it may or may not be true.

I hope Tonya Pope is successful in reviving the park, though. I never visited the original park, but the idea of a Mardi Gras theme park seems like a lot of fun. The Mega Zeph looks like a great ride, too.

Yeah. She thinks the park could have pulled even MORE guests in and kept them there for the entire day if there were more indoor attractions that guests could go to during rain showers, which there is usually a rain shower each day. She also thinks that the water park should have been part of the original plan because that would give a place for guests to go during the day when it is really hot then maybe go to the park when it cools off. One of my favorite parts of her plan is a lot more natural shade. She said they will plant a lot more trees and such, but instead of putting up giant shade structures for until they grow, they are going to put in a lot of fake trees that will provide shade until the real ones are big enough. The only thing I mind weird is that they are building an entirely new entrance, but not where the old one is. It will be kind of near the old Looney Toons area. But they are keeping the old one, which I find weird. And there are SOOOOO many dark rides. They are going to have The Wax, Laff in the Dark, Sea of Love, Haunted House, Voodoo Queen's Battle of the Bands, 4D simulator, a hunting dark ride to tie in with the new sportsman area, and I think there are one or two more! Eitherway, the new Jazzland looks like it will be a blast! But I still wish Six Flags hadn't abandoned it.

• 1 month later...
So what's this about Six Flags adding 5 recording breaking and/or first for North America for 2018?? Can't wait to see what these are...

Some of them will probably as asinine as half the "records" Valravn broke. But after Cedar Fair's 4 new coasters announcement, I'd like to bet that it was a scramble by the SF marketing team to appease the stockholders.

So what's this about Six Flags adding 5 recording breaking and/or first for North America for 2018?? Can't wait to see what these are...

Some of them will probably as asinine as half the "records" Valravn broke. But after Cedar Fair's 4 new coasters announcement, I'd like to bet that it was a scramble by the SF marketing team to appease the stockholders.

1) Announcements like this usually have the opposite effect on stockholders and institutional investors

2) Announcements like this entice the end users.

3) Marketing teams are infrequently involved in efforts to appease stockholders and institutional investors.

It was made to a room full of ACErs at CoasterCon.

I do find it interesting that both companies kinda went quiet for 2017 and are going extreme in 2018. I think everyone would've benefited if one went big in 2017 and the other in 2018.

I do find it interesting that both companies kinda went quiet for 2017 and are going extreme in 2018. I think everyone would've benefited if one went big in 2017 and the other in 2018.

Maybe it's because the theme parks in Orlando (Disney, Universal) make huge investments this year, and those parks make a shit ton more than Cedar Fair and Six Flags.

Edit: Not maybe, DEFINITELY

Edited by Themonerd

I'm still HIGHLY skeptical that this will be anything remotely resembling "extreme", or actually even very sizable investments... Six Flags is still in "conservative spending mode" until they prove otherwise to me.

Maybe it's because the theme parks in Orlando (Disney, Universal) make huge investments this year, and those parks make a shit ton more than Cedar Fair and Six Flags.

So you think Disney/Universal destination parks compete directly against Six Flags/Cedar Fair seasonal parks? Isn't that special?

I'm still HIGHLY skeptical that this will be anything remotely resembling "extreme", or actually even very sizable investments... Six Flags is still in "conservative spending mode" until they prove otherwise to me.

SF capital investments are based on a formula. One that they are very happy with and have no intention to change soon by their statements. They are not likely increasing investments over 9% of revenue and actually heavily hinted in last quarters conference call, that the % may decrease as revenue increases. One could interpret that to mean SF has a capital investment cap in mind and when that is reached by the formula, the % will decrease. Currently SF formula gives them about 75M/yr for rides. The question may be when the formula reaches what level do they cap it...80M, 90M, etc... Each 100M in revenue increase adds 9M to the overall capital investment budget and out of that about 5.4M would go to rides using the formula outline.

Exactly, as an enthusiast I'd love to see Six Flags go back into big spending mode but I just don't see that happening. They haven't purchased a B&M since X-Flight in 2012 and the last coaster that wasn't a RMC-makeover or S&S Free Spin was Fu11 Throttle in 2013. They seem to be content doing smaller annual updates and putting the same rides in every park.

Perhaps. But to be fair, within those parameters Six Flags has still managed to be the ones to grab RMC early to create some of the best rides on the planet starting with New Texas Giant. They've also manged to created a pretty slick dark ride (something nobody could have seen coming), AND bring back the "flat ride package" to their parks (something else no one saw coming).

If they can do that again in 2018, I'm all in.

They've stated numerous times on calls that they are still in the same mode of spending and are projecting to decrease their expenditures as a percentage of revenue. If people want to believe that they've decided to change now and build a bunch of gigacoasters and not that they've contracted for attractions with records that are basically meaningless (oh, the tallest S&S Freefly coaster! The tallest VR coaster!), that's on them to be disappointed about later. This thread exists to act as a reality check for them.

In the meantime, be happy about the array of top notch B&M, RMC, and Intamin rides already present along with their commitment to indoor rides/attractions that Cedar Fair doesn't even try to match.

Perhaps. But to be fair, within those parameters Six Flags has still managed to be the ones to grab RMC early to create some of the best rides on the planet starting with New Texas Giant. They've also manged to created a pretty slick dark ride (something nobody could have seen coming), AND bring back the "flat ride package" to their parks (something else no one saw coming).

Yes, this is very true. I haven't ridden any of the S&S Free Fly coasters yet, and only one Six Flags RMC conversion, but I respect the heck out of their foresight in working with that company in the first place, and I love the Justice League dark ride! I just can't help but chuckle at the marketing hyperbole they're likely using here, when we know we're not looking at a bunch of large, record breaking B&M or Intamin coasters here.

Good points. Most non-enthusiasts would agree that Six Flags is overloaded with roller coasters and would like to see different kinds of rides and attractions. They're really okay not building very many coasters for a while amd focusing on rounding out their offerings. That's exactly what they've been doing since the bankruptcy, and it's a great strategy. It's made me much more willing to visit Six Flags, knowing that my wife and daughters have things they can do and really have a good time, and not just follow my son and me around sitting on benches while we ride coasters.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if anybody saw this but it sounds like there will be no Justice Leagues in 2018. Interview with Sally Corp CEO by Coaster101

Coaster101: Are you able to tell me if there are any more Justice League rides coming for Six Flags, or any other projects for Sally coming up?

John Wood - CEO Sally Corp: I think that Six Flags is going to pause. I’m hoping it’s just a pause, but after three good hard years of rolling these out I think they’re going to step back and see how the results are. But, we’re very hopeful that there’s more in the future.

That frees up money as JL's were the most expensive ride SF bought in 2017. 3 JL's in 2017 at 10-12M each, total coast 30-36M. What will SF buy? This could mean potentially some coasters besides 4D's. Instead of 30M+ on JL's like 2017, they could buy 2 coasters at 15M or 3 around 10M They could also buy a boat load of flats.

Once upon a time my friends and I found website that listed the booking costs of all major bands. We had a ton of fun playing what if. Cot's contracts spreadsheets baseball contracts and salaries. Is there a place to find what rides cost and what parks have spent yearly?

Don't know if anybody saw this but it sounds like there will be no Justice Leagues in 2018. Interview with Sally Corp CEO by Coaster101

Coaster101: Are you able to tell me if there are any more Justice League rides coming for Six Flags, or any other projects for Sally coming up?

John Wood - CEO Sally Corp: I think that Six Flags is going to pause. I’m hoping it’s just a pause, but after three good hard years of rolling these out I think they’re going to step back and see how the results are. But, we’re very hopeful that there’s more in the future.

That frees up money as JL's were the most expensive ride SF bought in 2017. 3 JL's in 2017 at 10-12M each, total coast 30-36M. What will SF buy? This could mean potentially some coasters besides 4D's. Instead of 30M+ on JL's like 2017, they could buy 2 coasters at 15M or 3 around 10M They could also buy a boat load of flats.

Thanks for reading my interview. For those of you who are interested in the whole thing, here's the link (it's pretty fascinating stuff, even beyond this): www.coaster101.com/2017/07/11/how-sally-corp-builds-top-end-dark-rides-to-regional-parks-with-john-wood-and-rich-hill/

Guess who's back, back again, Shady's back, tell a friend.

Reid-Anderson Named Chairman, President and CEO at Six Flags

GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Six Flags Entertainment Corporation today announced its board of directors has appointed Jim Reid-Anderson, who has been serving as Executive Chairman of the company since February 2016, as the company's new Chairman, President and CEO effective immediately, replacing John M. Duffey who has retired from the company. Reid-Anderson formerly served as Chairman, President and CEO of Six Flags from August 2010 through February 2016. Under his leadership the company set a new strategic direction, achieved all-time high guest and employee satisfaction ratings and significant operational improvements, and drove a ten times return on investment for shareholders. Among other leadership roles, Reid-Anderson previously served as Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Dade Behring Inc., a manufacturer and distributor of medical diagnostics equipment and supplies, where he also drove a ten times return on investment for shareholders along with significant employee morale improvements and customer satisfaction increases.

“Six Flags is the leading regional theme park company in an extremely attractive industry, and we have significant global growth opportunities in the short, medium and long term," said Reid-Anderson. ”I am very proud and excited to rejoin the operating team and look forward to executing our business strategy. We have had seven record years in a row and I believe that the best is yet to come. I do want to wish John all the very best for the future and to thank him for his major contributions during his excellent tenure with the company, including his time as president and CEO."

As previously announced, the company will release second-quarter 2017 financial results on Wednesday, July 26, 2017.

BusinessWire