The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 1463 - HangTime POV! Night & Day Footage!
Users viewing this topic: Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:56 pm

joelwee wrote:Does Knott's still have 3 trains for Ghostrider? I thought I had heard they only bought 2 new trains for it.

There are three trains, but can only run two at a time. I assume they wanted an extra to cycle through maintenance like other year-round parks do.
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby firebird81 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:01 pm

KnottsBerryMountain wrote:GhostRider’s midcourse break run is being reinstalled.

You mean they are removing the magnetic brake run and reinstalling the block brake? You're joking right?

Postby Airboss » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Quick question, when does Knott's normally release their hours for next year? Or at least the first few months of next year?

Ass is another word for Donkey!

Postby KnottsBerryMountain » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:20 pm

firebird81 wrote:
KnottsBerryMountain wrote:GhostRider’s midcourse break run is being reinstalled.

You mean they are removing the magnetic brake run and reinstalling the block brake? You're joking right?

They were reinstalling the block brake yesterday, I don't know if they're actually going to turn it on or not. I'm hoping it is to improve the pace at which they send out trains because operations are pretty slow. Or maybe it's for 3 train operations. That would be extremely useful during Merry Farm when the park is super packed.
Intamin! Intamin! Intamin!

Postby firebird81 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:49 pm

KnottsBerryMountain wrote:
firebird81 wrote:

They were reinstalling the block brake yesterday, I don't know if they're actually going to turn it on or not. I'm hoping it is to improve the pace at which they send out trains because operations are pretty slow. Or maybe it's for 3 train operations. That would be extremely useful during Merry Farm when the park is super packed.

So I'm a little ignorant on this. Having a block brake installed as a safety feature would allow two trains on track at one time? I remember when they first opened in the 90's they used to send out trains from the station just about the time the other train hit that mid course section, before they were trimming. I have noticed the last couple of times I've been there that they really seemed to be trying to get trains loaded much faster. So, maybe that's it? Bringing back the trim would ruin the ride, so let's hope not.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby El Toro_Ryan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:54 pm

If the park is attempting to run 3 trains at once again, I really hope they also reprogramming the brake run so it doesn't take 10 years for trains to advance through it. Checking restraints quickly is one step of the process but a ride that dispatches/advances quickly is also an important piece of the puzzle.

Kudos to the park though if they really are trying to improve the capacity of the ride with 3 train operations. I wonder if Corporate had anything to do with this :lmao: I know Cedar Fair are fans of good operations. If I had to guess, part of the reason the park went with permanent 2 train operations following the remodel was to cycle the ride less often to keep it smooth. But maybe they are satisfied with how it is aging and are okay with cycling it more often?

Also maybe the park is planning to purchase a 4th train from GCI to allow for year round 3 train operations? Can't wait to see how this unfolds.
#ThroughputAddict (I need rehab). YOUTUBE PAGE: http://www.youtube.com/c/ElToroRyan

2014: El Toro Team Member
2015: Kingda Ka Team Member
2016: El Toro Unit Supervisor
2017: El Toro Unit Supervisor (Month of April) and Random Team Member when I felt like working (August thru December)
2018: Millennium Force Ride Host (Halloweekends)

Credit Count: 373

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby joelwee » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:55 pm

^ The only coaster at Knott's with decent operations is Hangtime, so I'm leaning more towards it being used as a trim. But, I hope I'm wrong.
Seat, don't fail me now!
2018 Trip Reports: Castles 'N' Coasters; Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:16 am

El Toro_Ryan wrote:If the park is attempting to run 3 trains at once again, I really hope they also reprogramming the brake run so it doesn't take 10 years for trains to advance through it. Checking restraints quickly is one step of the process but a ride that dispatches/advances quickly is also an important piece of the puzzle.

Kudos to the park though if they really are trying to improve the capacity of the ride with 3 train operations. I wonder if Corporate had anything to do with this :lmao: I know Cedar Fair are fans of good operations. If I had to guess, part of the reason the park went with permanent 2 train operations following the remodel was to cycle the ride less often to keep it smooth. But maybe they are satisfied with how it is aging and are okay with cycling it more often?

Also maybe the park is planning to purchase a 4th train from GCI to allow for year round 3 train operations? Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

I pretty much share the exact same thoughts. Hopefully adding back the MCBR means three train operations, because the ride's layout is so long that two trains will never be efficient, with or without the MCBR.

Knott's is one of Cedar Fair's top parks in terms of attendance, and I have always wondered why the operations here are complete garbage but CF's other big parks like CP, KI, and CW have awesome operations. Hopefully they are trying to improve GhostRider because that is definitely the biggest capacity issue in the park, surprisingly more than Xcelerator.
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby foss123 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Went to my first West Coast Bash yesterday and absolutely loved it! The park was absolutely dead by the end of late night ERT, so I managed to get a ride on Xcelerator with a train completely to myself. Such an unreal experience. Also won a piece of track from Silver Bullet at lunch, which I still can't get over. Such an awesome souvenir. Thanks for planning such an awesome event, Robb!
Top Steel: Maverick at Cedar Point or Mindbender at SFoG
Top Woodie: Son of Beast at Kings Island

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby SoCalJasonland » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:41 pm

foss123 wrote:Went to my first West Coast Bash yesterday and absolutely loved it! The park was absolutely dead by the end of late night ERT, so I managed to get a ride on Xcelerator with a train completely to myself. Such an unreal experience. Also won a piece of track from Silver Bullet at lunch, which I still can't get over. Such an awesome souvenir. Thanks for planning such an awesome event, Robb!

I ended up feeling a little dizzy and left before lunch. I think I was dehydrated, but two questions:

1. Did Knott's send anyone to the lunch to answer questions and did they address if they are re-adding a block brake on Ghost Rider to run a third train?

2. Why do they have extra Silver Bullet track lying around and how big was your prize?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!