The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 1463 - HangTime POV! Night & Day Footage!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:33 am

Superbatboy wrote:
thrillseeker4552 wrote:
Do we really want Knott's to look like Gröna Lund?? I think it's neat how everything sits on top of one another there, but it'd look extremely tacky at Knott's.

Yes we do.

Outside of Ghost Town, where giant steel roller coasters are out of place, the skyline isn't a big deal....especially in an area themed to a boardwalk, where rides ARE generally plopped on top of each other....

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RollerManic » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:05 pm

I really dislike how everyone uses Grona Land as an example that you can never have enough space. Grona Land looks cool, but it was built that way, with the prospect of pulling rides on each other in mind. Knotts wasn't.

Grona Land can pile rides, but it doesn't mean Six Flags or Cedar Fair wants to do so. The Boardwalk is no where near close to comparable to Grona Land, so the argument that the atmosphere of the Boardwalk is already set for stacking rides is invalid IMO. There are still miles of differences between the Boardwalk and Grona Land to settle before they're comparable enough to say that rides might as well be stacked.

The dive coaster rumor for SFMM is just some senseless pipe dream sh*t that sounds good to SFMM fanboys, so they've believed in it with dilusion. There is ZERO correlation between the speculation and rumor that because Viper has short lines, it will be replaced by (of all things), SPECIFICALLY, a B&M Dive Coaster.

Now that Boomerang is going to be removed, it is safe to speculate what will replace it. If the two ideas pitched so far (both of them having some merit of plausibility to them since California has neither), I think the B&M Dove Coaster is a lot more plausible. SoCal already has a hyper (see: Goliath) and a Dive Coaster would be unique and marketable. The footprint is much smaller than a hyper, but a Dive Coaster can still reach 200 ft. If Knotts puts a large attraction in Boomerang's old spot, its probably going to require a little bit of going over the midway of the ride is to have any decent amount of substance to its layout. A Dive Coaster could manage this by consolidating most of itself over Boomerangs old spot, with a couple of elements over midways in the immediate area (versus a out-and-back hyper that would spend most of its time outside the old plot and the immediate area by nature). However, I'm not going to defend my speculation as anything more than a possiblility. When it happens, it happens, but until then, I'll consider any other reasonable idea for a ride.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:25 pm

I really dislike how everyone uses Grona Land as an example that you can never have enough space. Grona Land looks cool, but it was built that way, with the prospect of pulling rides on each other in mind. Knotts wasn't.

Knott's already built a new coaster through an existing one (Jaguar), Wrapped Sierra Sidewinder around the Balloon Race, Built Pony Express over Bigfoot Rapids, put the annoying camp snoopy truck ride under Monte support, just built the new Calico Square stage to share backstage space with the Shutlz theater, once had flat rides inside the footprint of Windjammer, combined the parachute jump on their observation tower....

They planning team at KBF is very good at what they do.

Grona Land can pile rides, but it doesn't mean Six Flags or Cedar Fair wants to do so. The Boardwalk is no where near close to comparable to Grona Land, so the argument that the atmosphere of the Boardwalk is already set for stacking rides is invalid IMO. There are still miles of differences between the Boardwalk and Grona Land to settle before they're comparable enough to say that rides might as well be stacked.

Grona Land is the extreme example. But any famous pier/boardwalk operates with the same general philosophy of plop rides wherever you can find space. Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk put a roller coaster on a buildings roof, the Santa Monica Pier squeezes the pirate ship ride in right next to the ferris wheel...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Superbatboy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:35 pm

RollerManic wrote:I really dislike how everyone uses Grona Land as an example that you can never have enough space. Grona Land looks cool, but it was built that way, with the prospect of pulling rides on each other in mind. Knotts wasn't.

The dive coaster rumor for SFMM is just some senseless pipe dream sh*t that sounds good to SFMM fanboys, so they've believed in it with dilusion. There is ZERO correlation between the speculation and rumor that because Viper has short lines, it will be replaced by (of all things), SPECIFICALLY, a B&M Dive Coaster.

Now that Boomerang is going to be removed, it is safe to speculate what will replace it. If the two ideas pitched so far (both of them having some merit of plausibility to them since California has neither), I think the B&M Dove Coaster is a lot more plausible. SoCal already has a hyper (see: Goliath) and a Dive Coaster would be unique and marketable. The footprint is much smaller than a hyper, but a Dive Coaster can still reach 200 ft. If Knotts puts a large attraction in Boomerang's old spot, its probably going to require a little bit of going over the midway of the ride is to have any decent amount of substance to its layout. A Dive Coaster could manage this by consolidating most of itself over Boomerangs old spot, with a couple of elements over midways in the immediate area (versus a out-and-back hyper that would spend most of its time outside the old plot and the immediate area by nature). However, I'm not going to defend my speculation as anything more than a possiblility. When it happens, it happens, but until then, I'll consider any other reasonable idea for a ride.

:nina:
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:12 pm

RollerManic wrote:...I really dislike how everyone uses Grona Land as an example that you can never have enough space. Grona Land looks cool, but it was built that way, with the prospect of pulling rides on each other in mind. Knotts wasn't.

I use Grona Lund all the time for that argument, but I understand what you mean. However, Blackpool Pleasure Beach was (and probably still is, to some) considered the same as Grona Lund, although in my humble opinion, Grona Lund far outdoes what BPB has done. Because BPB (still) has way more space.

Others have already said that Knott's is still pretty spread out and there's a fair amount of room for expansion and "overlay" of attractions. :wink: And I always find it amusing how one decides "which way to go?" when you enter the main gate of Knott's. The Ghost Town? (to the left)....... or Rides, Rides Rides! (to the right).

But Ghostrider is to the left, same as Ghost Town. :airtime:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby IamDolfin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:30 pm

Haven't seen anyone post about it yet, but it looks like Sol Spin is sitting in the parking lot next to the burned down fire house. Spotted it while riding Boomerang.

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:31 pm

IamDolfin wrote:Haven't seen anyone post about it yet, but it looks like Sol Spin is sitting in the parking lot next to the burned down fire house. Spotted it while riding Boomerang.

Great news. The foundation looks like it's ready, and I believe the first piece has been laid on the Windseeker anchor bolts. Hopefully this thing goes up quickly and opens next month!

EDIT: There's a blurry photo of the pieces on Knott's Network's Instagram page. I won't post it here since I'm not sure whose photo it is and where they took it from.
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:44 pm

Sorry for the double post, but here are some (legal) photos of Sol Spin sitting in the west lot of the park. Credits go to Charles from Knott's Nuts.
IMG_0386.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0385.JPG
IMG_0382 2.JPG
IMG_0387.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:57 pm

^ Cool!

I've never been on one of those rides. Are they super nauseating?

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:42 pm

I just had a random thought... What if the new coaster in that area is indeed a Dive Coaster, and in a sort of tribute (and to fit in with the theme of the boardwalk area), it is called "Surf Racer"? That would be kind of cool, and the idea of a Dive Coaster being like riding a gigantic wave (and then crashing straight down) fits pretty well! Of course, it could be named as a tribute, and also be called "Windjammer" - though I doubt they pair the two names together into an overly long coaster name again! :lol:

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!