TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Robb, I wouldn't blame you one bit if you never held another WCB because you just couldn't bring yourself to deal with all the terrible obnoxious entitled @$$holes in SoCal. We're overflowing with them, and it seems like they're multiplying faster than ever. What you do with this forum is exactly what I wish I could do with the 405 freeway on a daily basis. Oh, the relief that would be.

Anyway, it can't be repeated enough that some of us really do love and appreciate everything you guys do, especially the efforts made to include us in your adventures. It's amazing that you're still willing to tolerate humanity on any level after everything you've been through!

I had a chance to go to a shoot for the Travel Network show "Bert: The Conqueror" on Shivering Timbers at MiA, and took my son. We got to ride ST a handful of times, got some food, and got free admission to the park. We had a blast, and in spite of not ending up in any on-ride footage they shot, it was a great event, and both my son and I will always treasure that experience!

SWEET! Did you get to meet Bert?

Yup! Funny guy! What you see on the show is him, the entire time, even off camera. He had this idea for this cheesy group walk thing, that we all did, and they used that. So hilarious! It was the lone time you actually saw me in it! Lol

I had a chance to go to a shoot for the Travel Network show "Bert: The Conqueror" on Shivering Timbers at MiA, and took my son. We got to ride ST a handful of times, got some food, and got free admission to the park. We had a blast, and in spite of not ending up in any on-ride footage they shot, it was a great event, and both my son and I will always treasure that experience!

Yup! Funny guy! What you see on the show is him, the entire time, even off camera. He had this idea for this cheesy group walk thing, that we all did, and they used that. So hilarious! It was the lone time you actually saw me in it! Lol

My kids and I used to love watching Bert the Conqueror, glad to hear he's a cool guy in real life.

Question for you Knott's regulars, I'm visiting family in Orange County for the 4th of July, and was thinking of adding a trip to Knott's. But the only days that I can do are the 5th or 6th. I figured with it being summer Friday would be busier so I was curious if it would be better to try for Thursday or Friday? Thanks in advance!

That's so great. I hear from just about everyone who has met him that he is such a classy guy.

Question for you Knott's regulars, I'm visiting family in Orange County for the 4th of July, and was thinking of adding a trip to Knott's. But the only days that I can do are the 5th or 6th. I figured with it being summer Friday would be busier so I was curious if it would be better to try for Thursday or Friday? Thanks in advance!

Thursday would be better. The 4th is the most crowded day of the year and the crowds tend to be a little smaller the next day.

Thursday would be better. The 4th is the most crowded day of the year and the crowds tend to be a little smaller the next day.

Ok thats what I was thinking but wanted to get a second opinion. Thank you!

I went to the park on Thursday for a couple of hours. The park was busy because of all of the school groups, so I pretty much got my Boardwalk BBQ, Monte, and a few flat rides before leaving. SOL Spin is for Dummies. Wipeout's pad is almost ready for its return adjacent to the Sky Cabin. Hangtime waits haven't been added to the app yet but appeared to be about one-hour. Plus, I love cat filters now.

20180524_110909.thumb.jpg.9cbd329382ca5f6609b02cf1cc27b152.jpg

SOL Spin for Dummies

20180524_113457.thumb.jpg.36cf9d626694cf31d803d46e33525f37.jpg

New Wipeout pad

20180524_114024.thumb.jpg.1ddc002acf1807e9fdd9e8c5a2f227bf.jpg

Hangtime

1820601975_Screenshot_20180524-112106_KnottsBerryFarm.thumb.jpg.dd97d311f525f61e7159be5452a9a471.jpg

I waited 20 minutes for Monte so the wait times weren't too accurate

Edited by SoCalJasonland

it'll be interesting to see if Hangtime has any affect on the Ghostrider queue. I'm kinda guessing not, but now I know when visit the park, I'll have to make a choice of what to run to first.

About 1 pm last Friday when hangtime opened it had less wait then ghost rider.

(after looking at wait times on previous page...)

Whoa.

Jaguar ~ Thrill Level......HIGH?

The same Level as Excelerator is?

April Fools is long gone, by now.

Last Thursday I went to Knott’s to ride the new HangTime. It was awesome and I got three rides on it in the course of my day. I love having this and Xcelerator so close to each other, it’s going to be my hangout area of the park when I go visit. Anyways here are some pictures of mostly HangTime on my day there.

ad3f1d815a70b42e4973c44c4a0ecc8a.jpg

I didn’t make it to the park until 1PM, but I went straight for HangTime.

985ba8a0fba96e7978e85026057873ec.jpg

The fountain by the entrance of the revamped Boardwalk looks nice.

533e9d3e4588e94c27ae233cf2f438e2.jpg

My first in person view of the completed HangTime.

13600f887548735bc712de61ea0e6c58.jpg

They were sending some test trains and were temporarily down so I went to fill up my souvenir drink cup.

63a72dfe6bf26ae6a1f20c552ca80655.jpg

By the time I came back from filling my drink cup HangTime was reopened so I got in line.

3e0368f977cf5e1e9ef1ed7579604d7c.jpg

The line took just under 30 minutes and I was on board.

bfe1b999f83d9f98ad51aba632ba3dd9.jpg

As soon as I got off, I got in line to ride again. The line got quite a bit longer and was about an hour wait to ride the second time.

92bd84a4c2f28982301357fc32dbb1f0.jpg

They had some nice touches in the queue line like these Boysenberry colored flowers by the footers.

8611f357c3a12d43a717e68a2c4731b0.jpg

They also had some mini palm trees planted by the HangTime footers to fit into the Southern California beach theme.

60cdaf1164444e3e6d136920bbbaaf65.jpg

The first time I rode in the back row, the second time I rode in the front row. I liked the front row a bit better.

6de7a0547ab13e1c1fb03afa1f0228e7.jpg

HangTime was running three trains. I don’t know how much of a difference the third train makes as the first train didn’t get dispatched until the third train hit the brake run. The line was moving constantly and the ops were pretty good though.

44ddbed1817a8fd223366039996acb74.jpg

HangTime cresting its lift hill.

1063d2fee731c8579490fde4bdbbf07d.jpg

HangTime holding right before the drop.

ed97175b0f307be68eaf7e13171a4b2a.jpg

And HangTime going down its 96° drop.

9eeb4a80986614388efa7512422aa5fc.jpg

With HangTime’s line getting longer I decided to move on to other things after two rides. There wasn’t too much general public on this Thursday but there was a quite a bit of school buses.

ea8ff13633e98b3a0a87a65ae3b16e79.jpg

I love the way HangTime takes its inversions.

942f91beb5de62f77753be85ffd49f4b.jpg

Since Xcelerator had an 1hr 15 min wait, I decided to ride the Sky Cabin next for the views. Here’s the view of HangTime right before getting into the Sky Cabin.

85c25d77bcbd71eab3cc9b725f94d7d7.jpg

Here’s the birds eye view of HangTime from the Sky Cabin.

58b04fd9ab7e46fa580c309c5b357d61.jpg

These guys are ready to drop.

dc8595ac9c546356878f3981d21067d2.jpg

Great views of the rest of the park!

d57e3593902f68649ea6d0a70fed38d1.jpg

Ghostrider was closed btw.

1d6e994c3a71aa48f7befa8a1cd4dfcb.jpg

Knott’s full scale replica of Independence Hall and Soak City which opened the next day.

1e48d609924e530704aa346593526896.jpg

Silver Bullet and Timber Mountain Log Ride which I rode later in the evening.

64fad8292b40b97bc083f93561ec9292.jpg

Supreme Scream and Xcelerator.

13a9189a0460dfbee2f7f91d11a37232.jpg

North end of Knott’s.

3f932cb9570e40688f36ea83c546d5d0.jpg

Xcelerator view from the Sky Cabin.

c6cac5cf53c0d592c9f64f29464a3d37.jpg

Coast Rider and the west end overflow parking lot where I parked during Boysenberry Fest.

33983ecd6361283c3a9e7c8842d68dfc.jpg

Time to hang loose for a bit.

4829415e03a36f586a3aa8aef51a5324.jpg

I had ribs w/ beans and cornbread for lunch at Boardwalk BBQ.

20e867d597cc914f5c8a0b802a089723.jpg

They had one of these machines promoting the new Barrilitos Aguas Frescas line at Boardwalk BBQ.

76e8e5a34a327f867e6a2cb48d18f306.jpg

Move over Boysenberry, I’m trying the new Mango Lime! (Which was really good btw).

3a4c5db815d0a35f3d8f97cfc14e79a6.jpg

After lunch I was ready to ride Xcelerator since the line had shrunk considerably.

a855f236dc98a34af2ab29b32e2733de.jpg

Even though Xcelerator was only running one train, I only waited about 30 min.

After Xcelerator, I rode Supreme Scream, Jaguar, Montezooma’s Revenge, Sierra Sidewinder, Silver Bullet, and Timber Mountain Log Ride all with minimal wait. Of course Sol Spin was closed being in the cursed Windseeker spot.

331ce2c3fcd629b419888a727422afee.jpg

Here’s the money shot I got right before boarding the Silver Bullet station. Love having these two rides back to back in the Boardwalk area of Knott’s.

1e74e9fc9463126fae54f630b18fff7c.jpg

HangTime going down its beyond vertical drop.

cecce6ad53ebba3678bd217f7f56e75e.jpg

View of HangTime from the Log Ride queue.

7a39f41cf3c64951653f837cdd4ae740.jpg

After the Log Ride since Ghostrider was closed I went back to HangTime. It was after 7PM now and I waited about 20 minutes to ride. I was going get back in line to ride again but it had technical difficulties shortly after I got off and they weren’t letting more people into line so I ended off the night with a ride on Xcelerator. I waited about 15 min for Xcelerator and these lights came on at 8PM right when the park was closing.

839dec4a529acb43b81161af428a4644.jpg

HangTime is great addition to Knott’s and it now feels more like a complete full day park with this. Xcelerator is still my favorite but I think HangTime might be my new #2 at Knott’s - I need to ride Ghostrider again. I’ll have visit Knott’s later on in the summer when the park in open later to get some night rides on HangTime.

f447e5e95de8565b8421fae92f46b762.jpg

After Knott’s I finally tried the Chicago themed Portillo’s near the park. I got a Hot Italian Beef w/ a chicken noodle soup (it was 66°F during the day at Knott’s and was down to 60°F at night which is cooler than normal for late May in SoCal) and a chocolate cake shake which was all good so I can recommend this place to others. It’s a lot more than just hot dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great report! I agree that Xcelerator and HangTime complement each other really well, not just in ride experience but in looks as well. It's nice to have Xcelerator, HangTime, and Sky Cabin all open. The Boardwalk is finally alive again!

Also, I couldn't help but notice all the empty seats on HangTime. It looks like it's between 1 and 3 almost every train. I wonder why Knott's (or Cedar Fair for that matter) hasn't considered single rider lines, considering their popularity at Disney and SFMM.

And if they are triple stacking all the time, a third train makes almost zero difference. It's only useful if they dispatch a train while the previous one is still cycling the track.

I totally second the idea of a single rider line. They do assigned seating, and while YMMV depending on your grouper, ours denied our request to try out the front seat (we've already been in the back twice, but never been in the front). In the meantime, tons of empty seats are going by. They do occasionally shout for single riders in the line, but very few volunteer.

I also think it's a bit odd they run three trains when there's nearly always two sitting on brakes... but maybe that's something that will get worked out over time. I do think park of the problem is the semi-unusual release mechanism for the seat belts. It's not super intuitive, and a lot of people have trouble releasing the seat belt, often causing delays getting people on the next train.

But really... if they're going to continue doing assigned seating, they really need to add a single rider line.

I totally second the idea of a single rider line. They do assigned seating, and while YMMV depending on your grouper, ours denied our request to try out the front seat (we've already been in the back twice, but never been in the front). In the meantime, tons of empty seats are going by. They do occasionally shout for single riders in the line, but very few volunteer.

I also think it's a bit odd they run three trains when there's nearly always two sitting on brakes... but maybe that's something that will get worked out over time. I do think park of the problem is the semi-unusual release mechanism for the seat belts. It's not super intuitive, and a lot of people have trouble releasing the seat belt, often causing delays getting people on the next train.

But really... if they're going to continue doing assigned seating, they really need to add a single rider line.

I agree on single rider, but it's doubtful... none of the other rides in the park do it. But, cross my fingers.

Re: the seatbelts. My friend was one of the actors in the safety video, and he told me they just did a re-shoot specifically regarding the seatbelts. The hope being that it'll help people not get stuck trying to exit.

^^^^^ AWESOME photos, Andrew!

Hey everyone. I'm preparing a bit early, but can someone help me with how Sunday is going to look in terms of crowds? (I'm going to KBF on Sunday the 3rd) I'm at 49 creds, and want to make HangTime #50 (HangTime will be #50 no matter what, I have every other credit at Knott's except Timberline Twister because I'm too tall), but is that the coaster I should run to? Keep in mind that I'm going to be there the whole day (this is my yearly KBF visit), so I want to ride as much as possible. Should HangTime be first, or should I follow a different plan of attack, basically.

^^^^^ AWESOME photos, Andrew!

Hey everyone. I'm preparing a bit early, but can someone help me with how Sunday is going to look in terms of crowds? (I'm going to KBF on Sunday the 3rd) I'm at 49 creds, and want to make HangTime #50 (HangTime will be #50 no matter what, I have every other credit at Knott's except Timberline Twister because I'm too tall), but is that the coaster I should run to? Keep in mind that I'm going to be there the whole day (this is my yearly KBF visit), so I want to ride as much as possible. Should HangTime be first, or should I follow a different plan of attack, basically.

The park has been really busy this week, so this Sunday should likely be busy too and it will be hot near 90 degrees. I would run to either Ghostrider or Hangtime first. Both coasters will have waits in the 1:30 - 2-hour ranges. Xcelerator and Silver Bullet will be closer to 1 to 1:30-hour waits. The rest of the park will range from 10 minutes to an hour waits.