TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Was planning on heading to the park today to finally catch a ride on Sol Spin but it looks like it's closed again already? At least according to the website. Bummer.

i didn't walk up to it yesterday, but from walking by near the arcade, i didn't see any action at all over there.

Was planning on heading to the park today to finally catch a ride on Sol Spin but it looks like it's closed again already? At least according to the website. Bummer.

i didn't walk up to it yesterday, but from walking by near the arcade, i didn't see any action at all over there.

I just called to double check and they said "they thought it was working," but the front desk person hadn't been notified. It is indeed down again, and Montezooma is down too. Maybe I'll try again next week.

This is what was listed on Knott's site.

Knott's Scheduled Ride Closures

Xcelerator

Now - TBD

Sky Cabin

Now - TBD

Montezooma's Revenge

Now - 12/15

Bigfoot Rapids

Now - 12/15

Sol Spin

12/13

Information is subject to change without notice. Individual rides not listed here may occasionally close.

Probably a dumb question but has anybody heard anything new regarding Xcelerator recently?

Other than Dippin' Dots types claiming that pieces of the track have been removed, I've heard nothing. I'm planning on visiting Knott's within the next month or so and am bummed out I won't get to ride Xcelerator.

Probably a dumb question but has anybody heard anything new regarding Xcelerator recently?

Other than Dippin' Dots types claiming that pieces of the track have been removed, I've heard nothing. I'm planning on visiting Knott's within the next month or so and am bummed out I won't get to ride Xcelerator.

They were probably removed because of dents in the supports and need to be replaced.

Went to Knotts today, got there around 3:30 because me and my girlfriend just purchased 2018 season passes and got a free day in 2017 so why not.Ghostrider, Sol Spin, Xcelerator, and Bigfoot we’re all closed. I knew Xcelerator would be closed but I was bummed Ghostrider was when we got there. Is it normal for them to shut it down later in the day?

Went to Knotts today, got there around 3:30 because me and my girlfriend just purchased 2018 season passes and got a free day in 2017 so why not.Ghostrider, Sol Spin, Xcelerator, and Bigfoot we’re all closed. I knew Xcelerator would be closed but I was bummed Ghostrider was when we got there. Is it normal for them to shut it down later in the day?

That's strange that GhostRider was closed. It was obviously unexpected and you just had bad luck, because it isn't listed on their website, and it just finished a refurbishment only a couple weeks ago.

This is off topic, but I finally ate at the new Boardwalk BBQ today, and I had no idea that you can get a variety of sauces outside: Boysenberry BBQ, Mild BBQ, Spicy BBQ, and Sweet Heat Mustard. This changes my life.

In other news, Sol Spin is indeed still down, and I didn't see it reflected on the park sign. Never made it over to Ghostrider, but it seemed quiet. Park was pretty busy today! Line for Monty was all the way to the bottom of the ramp.

In other news, Sol Spin is indeed still down, and I didn't see it reflected on the park sign. Never made it over to Ghostrider, but it seemed quiet. Park was pretty busy today! Line for Monty was all the way to the bottom of the ramp.

That's too bad. I'm heading to the park tomorrow, mostly to check out HangTime construction, but I'll be bummed if GhostRider and Sol Spin are both down. I understand it's sort of the off-season (although not really with busy winter crowds coming), but dang, come on Knott's. I long for the day when every ride in the park is open...

This is off topic, but I finally ate at the new Boardwalk BBQ today, and I had no idea that you can get a variety of sauces outside: Boysenberry BBQ, Mild BBQ, Spicy BBQ, and Sweet Heat Mustard. This changes my life.

I agree on the sauce options. Boardwalk BBQ is my go to spot at KBF now. They also carry the boysenberry beer and cider year round!

Went to Knott’s yesterday. Everything was open except Xcelerator and Sol Spin. GhostRider was open and actually running really well, not just the ride itself but operations too. They were assigning rows (which I know bothers us enthusiasts but it really helps keep things organized and running well), and the line (which filled the building) only took about 45 minutes. Props to them, because usually they suck.

Silver Bullet was also running two trains (one of which was the brand new one) and it was essentially a walk-on all day. The new train definitely felt smoother, but the ride was already far from being rough.

As for HangTime, nothing has really changed since the recent batch of photos other than the holding brake track placed and a little more of the lift hill. It still isn’t topped off yet. Can’t wait for it to open. I’m loving the colors.

B2278EF6-1413-49FB-916D-6EAEE8300E05.thumb.jpeg.19693f74669d25468a06053a6b727ca4.jpeg

GhostRider was open and actually running really well, not just the ride itself but operations too. They were assigning rows (which I know bothers us enthusiasts but it really helps keep things organized and running well), and the line (which filled the building) only took about 45 minutes. Props to them, because usually they suck.

Is the train still stopping a mile from the station and then braking a thousand times taking twenty minutes to pull in? I'm exaggerating but that's what it feels like.

We go to Knott's a lot and typically it takes them about 5 minutes from the time the train pulls in the station to it actually pulling out with a full load on Ghostider. The other train typically sits waiting for at least two minutes while the first train is being loaded. The people loading from the exit side play a big role in slowing down operations and it's gotten out of hand. There will be a line of thirty or more people over there a lot of times. On the flipside, the fast lane folks don't seem to have too much of an affect. There have been many times waiting in line where it seems like the ride may have broken down, but what's really happening is loading a train is taking forever. They aren't goofing off up there. It's mostly customers screwing it up. Operation seems to run a lot better if one particular woman, looks like she may be in her early 30's, is working. She seems to get everyone moving a LOT faster.

Took a trip to the park today to take advantage of the one-free-entry deal that comes with a 2018 pass. I’d been delaying to try and maybe catch Sol Spin open — a ride I’ve yet to try at Knotts or in general. No luck today, though, as the ride was still out of operation all day. Despite that, Xcelerator and Sky Cabin were the only things not working, but that’s not news. The place was pretty quiet aside from the Ghost Town holiday market stuff, with most rides maxing out at three-train waits / cycles in the time I was there (2pm to 5pm-ish). Ghost Rider had a constant 30-45 min line, but I caught it right after a breakdown and basically got two back-to-back walk-on rides. To respond to a recent post, yes, the brakes kick in a long way from the station still, and you crawl through multiple hissing blocks as the next train dispatches. It still seems odd, but I’m sure the engineers have their reasons. The crew seemed on the ball, but I wasn’t around there for very long.

IMG_0150.thumb.jpg.6b9282565f7a57fc4df3ff8d1b3df584.jpg

Ghosr Rider ERT.

IMG_0169.thumb.jpg.8dd705fa1a2b1bead96397695faecdb9.jpg

The holiday market area was pretty busy.

I got to ride Coast Rider and try out the new shin restraints — which were surprisingly bad. I expected something more like the RMC shin restraints and was surprised to find these bizarre things instead. I know the ride is mainly for children, but those new shin things don’t accommodate adult frames well at all — your legs actually prevent the lap restraint from closing all the way.

Hangtime looks fun. It’s smaller in person than I thought it would be, fitting into a fairly compact footprint. Also, the way the first inversion sits kind of echoes Boomerang’s inversions. The ride’s position in the park, and the fact that there’s going to be ample opportunities to watch people “hang” over the drop, will make this one a hit I think. I don’t think there’s been any major work that people here haven’t seen yet, but I’d say that more than half of the track is installed now.

IMG_0112.thumb.jpg.cd8193c44980aff2e221c86e2483f094.jpg

This part will be fun to watch.

IMG_0126.thumb.jpg.655b2e3b60105ef682e2e61e674a4f92.jpg

If the holding brakes are set that far back, it seems like the train will roll into the drop pretty fast.

IMG_0129.thumb.jpg.d7cb0e2b5ec2278a899afdfae49c6e01.jpg

The "beyond vertical" bit.

Over the course of a few hours, I rode all the good stuff a bunch of times. I still think Silver Bullet is my favorite B&M invert (and I’ve been on some of the popular ones around the country), and La Revolución is still one of my favorite rides in the park. I overlooked it for years, but I think it’s fantastic now.

IMG_0101.thumb.jpg.4d35b982800eb62860a9f218384312ec.jpg

Good old Silver Bullet.

IMG_0171.thumb.jpg.52aa4b1bc79c3aae5c58d12cad689345.jpg

The new skyline is looking good!

Edited by Arthur_Seaton

I still think Silver Bullet is my favorite B&M invert

I'm genuinely intrigued. What makes Silver Bullet your favorite? I grew up near Buena Park so Silver Bullet and Batman were my only inverts until I recently rode Raptor, Great Bear, Banshee, Alpengeist, and Afterburn. Silver Bullet is now one of my least favorites. I don't think it's bad at all and it has nostalgia value but it's just not quiet with the others, imo.

I still think Silver Bullet is my favorite B&M invert

I'm genuinely intrigued. What makes Silver Bullet your favorite? I grew up near Buena Park so Silver Bullet and Batman were my only inverts until I recently rode Raptor, Great Bear, Banshee, Alpengeist, and Afterburn. Silver Bullet is now one of my least favorites. I don't think it's bad at all and it has nostalgia value but it's just not quiet with the others, imo.

B&M inverts are one of my least favorite styles of coaster in general, and I generally want more from a coaster than a catalog of elements (Banshee was an example of this). For me, SB has the right mix of intensity, fun, and visual interaction with the environment. It's often condemned for its drop, but I don't find drops on inverts to be that thrilling anyway. This one switches from mild to intense as soon as it hits the loop. The overbank offers a weird airtime moment that's unique to the ride. The boomerang looks fantastic off-ride. The corkscrew finale lets the ride go out with a bang — very snappy corkscrews followed immediately by an extreme, blackout-inducing helix. Combine all that with no brakes and solid ops. It's been my favorite for a long time, and it's a must-ride when visiting Knotts.

I have to take motion sickness pills before riding Silver Bullet. Even then, I have to focus my eyes on a fixed point in front of me. That coaster really twists you around.

Yeah, I agree, it's disorienting — especially the second half. I prefer my ride intensity to be matched by fun, and SB is perhaps a little unbalanced in this regard but I can usually go a good three or four laps before really starting to feel it. To me, SB was the logical progression of the Batman clones — not quite as intense, but in a similar vein.