TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I'm not surprised this lawsuit BS is happening in California. Nor am I surprised people are targeting Knott's. Sure Disney is bigger and has more money but that's the point. They have more money. Unless someone died or had a major traumatic injury Disney isn't going to settle and they'd bury the claimants in court. Disney isn't going to settle over a minor contusion or ankle scrape.

Speaking of ankle scrape, I wonder how much longer Coast Rider lasts now that they have those stupid skin guards. And do any other Cedar Fair wild mouse coasters have them or if it just Knott's?

Both parks have insurance companies for this very reason. I am sure the majority of claims are settled behind the scenes, which is why news of lawsuits is so rare when it comes to theme parks.

Also, not BS if a safety feature was not operating as it was supposed to and Knott's knew about it.

Edited by Jew

^ I don't buy the water level bullcrap story. Why has this never happened before at Knott's or anywhere else? How many years with log flumes and wild mouse rides without incident? And don't tell me it all happens behind the scenes so we usually don't hear about it. These people got a little bump on the head because their own stupidity and they heard about the Coast Rider story (another "accident" because of sheer stupidity) and thought, hey we can get some money too.

^Perhaps you don't hear about water level issues at other parks because their ride systems fault the ride if water levels are not in range? Just a thought...

According to the LA Times, DOSH had already previously found the water sensor not working on another inspection and has logged 43 incidents that require more than basic first aid since 2012 (that's the standard in CA of a reportable incident). Can you attribute some of that to rider error? Of course. Both Knott's and the rider can be simultaneously negligent and thus assigned financial liability accordingly.

Not all 43 made the news and reached the point a lawsuit was filed. Wonder why that is? It couldn't possibly be due to parks having insurance companies & lawyers working behind the scenes to reach the best solution for all parties involved, could it?

Well ,at least one of those 43 incidents was a haunt employee who unhooked her harness to get a selfie from her perch and fell onto the lift conveyor for the final drop. The reason you don't hear about most of the incidents is because they are clearly the fault of the injured party. If Knotts had settled out 43 claims since 2012 on this ride alone, they would be uninsurable.

As far as Disney goes.....the same applies, but they also do a very, VERY good job of covering up accidents in their parks. That's why you only hear about the real serious ones at Disney. We had a family friend who worked security and there are skeletons in that closet.

I went to the park for a couple of hours today from 11 am - 1 pm. I did get a ride on Sol Spin but it broke down shortly after. Ghostrider and Silver Bullet had one train waits. It was a nice uncrowded day.

IMG_20171205_105210.thumb.jpg.858d355b1defc93e591b7759133b3af0.jpg

One train wait on GHostrider

IMG_20171205_111327.thumb.jpg.8c93bb997bfddf96e4ce98a2891624e8.jpg

New coaster goodness

IMG_20171205_111455.thumb.jpg.36a69fc821647db21c2c611f61b96b16.jpg

New coaster goodness

IMG_20171205_111523.thumb.jpg.ebeb3a550360c91b8d6bb6fbb540278a.jpg

Are they working on you?

IMG_20171205_111618.thumb.jpg.aab7b9bf52e27e91c99695a61bef8fc7.jpg

New coaster goodness

IMG_20171205_111651.thumb.jpg.9c8abd0f9a206f66cc7763676509ad05.jpg

New coaster goodness

IMG_20171205_112157.thumb.jpg.dacdc26a80538423e896796e22ac13ea.jpg

There's more track back there

IMG_20171205_112901.thumb.jpg.96bddf192d8adf1507d274e64d171fa3.jpg

Was working part of the day

IMG_20171205_114629.thumb.jpg.89c4ce297fbce591e82f6cf188220c54.jpg

There are no people on that coaster.

IMG_20171205_122242.thumb.jpg.ba378ed98d6580c510f5f95c9e9184ee.jpg

New coaster goodness

IMG_20171205_123830.thumb.jpg.3e8e85dc828549bc32a8b1d6752f7c63.jpg

Rapids closed

Just got back from a weekend at Disneyland and Knotts.

Question: anyone going to Knotts Merry Farm after the 17th or so? They have an awesome tshirt that was sold out, but they are supposed to get more in. They sell them in a booth in Ghost Town. The price is $9.99 and it has Snoopy on the front.

I would LOVE one in size large.

Just message me if this is possible!

And if you need anything from the Florida Disney parks, let me know!

HangTime going up fast. I wouldn't be surprised if it opened in time for the Boysenberry Festival, which would be awesome since I'll be town around then.

I was watching an IAAPA interview with the guy from Gerstlauer, and he said a March opening for HangTime, but I would only take that with a grain of salt.

HangTime going up fast. I wouldn't be surprised if it opened in time for the Boysenberry Festival, which would be awesome since I'll be town around then.

I was watching an IAAPA interview with the guy from Gerstlauer, and he said a March opening for HangTime, but I would only take that with a grain of salt.

Well, seeing how quickly it's going up it would not surprise me, especially if the weather holds.

Saw this posted on reddit a little earlier today: https://twitter.com/canardiain/status/939954442216067072

A few of the supports have dents in them. I don't know if they buckled, or they were dented during transports\, or if it was something else entirely. But it is an interesting development.

I have two words to describe what I just read...

"Armchair engineer."

Like Knott's is going to put something up that would just collapse.

Edited by robbalvey

Saw this posted on reddit a little earlier today: https://twitter.com/canardiain/status/939954442216067072

A few of the supports have dents in them. I don't know if they buckled, or they were dented during transports\, or if it was something else entirely. But it is an interesting development.

I have two words to describe what I just read...

"Armchair engineer."

Like Knott's is going to put something up that would just collapse.

A little Bondo/Paint you will never know hahahahha

Knotts wouldn’t have assembled the dented pieces if it was a problem

EXACTLY! And I'm sure that Knott's maintenance team is rolling their eyes as hard as I am over some self-appointed high school engineer in Canada pointing out how their construction is flawed. Seriously, people are so stupid that it hurts my brain...

Explain to me why someone in Kitchener, Canada need to be preoccupied with minutia details of a ride being constructed in Buena Park, California?

626299573_ScreenShot2017-12-10at21_58_40.thumb.png.08fe7078a00c406361543faf6389598b.png

Like, you're about as far removed from that ride as someone can be in North America. But... some people just HAVE to go out of their way to attempt to trash a ride thousands of miles away from them before it's even built with comments that clearly show that they don't even understand or have any knowledge whatsoever of what they are looking at.

So incredibly stupid...

Edited by robbalvey

Say for the sake of arguement those dents are a problem. I'm sure Knotts has it under control. No need to stop construction while they make new ones. Keep building and then when the new parts come in they just remove a couple sections of track, swap out the supports and keep going. Bob's your uncle.

Right. Exactly. Why someone in Canada needs to point it out like as though Knott's would be all "Oh, whoops! We didn't notice those dents! Good thing that guy from Toronto tweeted those pictures because us here at Knott's HQ would have never noticed and the ride would have just collapsed one day!"

Again, so incredibly stupid...