TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^ Well, it looks more impressive, if it has to be sticking up above the mine train 'mountain,' than Boomerang ever did.

(The lighting on it at night, will make that lift hill look amazing, above the mine train!)

IMG_2099.JPG.0130d9945cdebd1a7aaf1d641e5c8c65.JPG

One last Boomerang (r.i.p.) look - Sept.12, 2016. After West Coast Bash weekend.

Looks like most of the vertical track has been installed. The drop is about complete as well, minus the holding brake.

Construction is moving faster than I expected. If it is anything like Monster, you all are in for a treat!

Samurai at Lagoon has been down all year for "maintenance" and never opened for the season. Even with it being a prototype, Mondial has never had the best of luck with their thrill rides ever. Both Samurai and Cliffhanger at Lagoon have so much downtime between themselves, I see why Lagoon hasn't bought a ride from them since, even if those rides are some of the best at Lagoon.

^For whatever reason, Mondial seems to do a lot better with portable rides than they do with permanent ones. As much as I normally love Top Scans, I'm kind of surprised Knott's approved of another Mondial flat to replace an extremely problematic Mondial flat, only for the replacement to have a completely different set of critical problems.

^For whatever reason, Mondial seems to do a lot better with portable rides than they do with permanent ones. As much as I normally love Top Scans, I'm kind of surprised Knott's approved of another Mondial flat to replace an extremely problematic Mondial flat, only for the replacement to have a completely different set of critical problems.

The official unofficial Dippin' Dots rumor says that Mondial gave Knott's a super big discount. Another very uncredible rumor says that the ride was free and Knott's only had to pay for the installation.

The official unofficial Dippin' Dots rumor says that Mondial gave Knott's a super big discount. Another very uncredible rumor says that the ride was free and Knott's only had to pay for the installation.

They definitely got a large discount plus Knotts saved on having to do new foundation work with the existing windseeker foundation there

^ Unfortunately that foundation is probably going to haunt Knott's for years to come if Sol Spin doesn't work out. I have a thought. Use the existing foundation for a launching tower ride. Sure I know they already have a drop tower, but launching towers are wicked sick rides. I'd dare say better than most drop rides.

Love the POV video. It's amazing how much they really squeezed this ride in.

Also, besides Karnan, I believe this is the tallest vertical lift hill, right? It's taller than any eurofighter, and like I said, the only one taller is Karnan. Pretty cool!

EDIT: I fact checked myself on RCDB. I forgot about the Maurer Skyloops, which are one foot taller. And Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket. Either way, this ride really is gonna change the skyline.

I hope the lighting package in person looks the way it does in the concept. Something tells me the concept is a bit exaggerated.

It's not. Take a look at Monster's light package, the colors are very saturated.

I hope the lighting package in person looks the way it does in the concept. Something tells me the concept is a bit exaggerated.

I wonder if they should have gone with white track for that.

White wouldn't work for the effect they're going for. They're looking to simulate the surf/curl crashing under a surfboard. Having the blue track highlighted by white light as the car passes over achieves that.

Hate to be the eternal naysayer, but can we talk about the drop? A lot of the photos I've seen don't capture the proportions of it, and I was really underwhelmed seeing it in person.

In picture #1, we see that the lift hill/drop support structure has 4 roughly equal segments (marked by horizontal bars). We also see that the drop bottoms out noticeably above the construction wall, which would be about 10 feet off the ground. In picture #2, we see that the holding break pre-drop has a really significant elevation change. It's one entire segment of the support structure. We see that the drop goes vertical for one more segment before leveling out.

So, the drop on this 150 ft tall coaster is going to be WAY less than 150 feet. 1 out of 4 segments is taken up by the holding break, 1 more segment is the vertical track, and then about 1.5 segments are used to level off. 150 feet divided by 4 segments, puts each one at 37.5 feet. So, if you deduct the holding break (37-ish ft) and the 10 feet off the ground from the end of the drop... this 150 foot tall coaster has a drop that's just barely over 100 feet.

Hate to be the eternal naysayer, but can we talk about the drop? A lot of the photos I've seen don't capture the proportions of it, and I was really underwhelmed seeing it in person.

In picture #1, we see that the lift hill/drop support structure has 4 roughly equal segments (marked by horizontal bars). We also see that the drop bottoms out noticeably above the construction wall, which would be about 10 feet off the ground. In picture #2, we see that the holding break pre-drop has a really significant elevation change. It's one entire segment of the support structure. We see that the drop goes vertical for one more segment before leveling out.

So, the drop on this 150 ft tall coaster is going to be WAY less than 150 feet. 1 out of 4 segments is taken up by the holding break, 1 more segment is the vertical track, and then about 1.5 segments are used to level off. 150 feet divided by 4 segments, puts each one at 37.5 feet. So, if you deduct the holding break (37-ish ft) and the 10 feet off the ground from the end of the drop... this 150 foot tall coaster has a drop that's just barely over 100 feet.

I don't know what all the complaining is about, the people here look to be having a lot of fun.

I don't know what all the complaining is about, the people here look to be having a lot of fun.

latest?cb=20150321072440

Yeah, I don't get it either. I think maybe these people worked themselves up with delusions of a giga coaster, and nothing else will do for them?

If Ghostrider and Silver Bullet are any indication, a drop of just over 100 feet doesn't seem to prevent a quality ride for Knott's.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I think maybe these people worked themselves up with delusions of a giga coaster, and nothing else will do for them?

The Knotts thread over the last year (in pictures):

Knotts is rearranging the entire park and getting a B&M giga!

rve.gif.72958238b1095174372f031e87393443.gif

Oh cool Knotts is getting a B&M hyper!!!!

Cheer.gif.cc1ba6624a8954f3de89d29ea6def881.gif

Actually... Knotts is getting a B&M DIVE coaster!!!! First dive coaster on the west coast!!!!

meryl.gif.8b62d037baad5f27590035dcf401ecf8.gif

*Announcement day*

Knotts is getting a 150foot Gerstlauer Dive Coaster?!? :/

confused.gif.a3c28a3de46c643fb27b5ba7ea7d8a28.gif

*Months later*

Knotts new coaster only drops 100 feet.

jack.gif.09072704e6042a40b557cb34e315227f.gif

Abridged version

The Knotts thread over the last year:

"Do you want to grab some sushi for the first time?"

"Nah, I hate sushi"

"but, you've never had sushi... how can you hate it?"