TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^What do you mean about Valravn? As fantastic as this looks, and it really does look great, we don't know the reason why they've not bought a B&M since then, it could have something to do with the amount of work they're getting from china right now.

^What do you mean about Valravn? As fantastic as this looks, and it really does look great, we don't know the reason why they've not bought a B&M since then, it could have something to do with the amount of work they're getting from china right now.

Sure, that's possible. We really don't know, and obviously they would've had 2017 plans already made before Valravn opened. But as for the future, I don't see more B&M dive coasters in the chain. That ride has issues.

I've never been on a beyond vertical drop coaster. Does going beyond vertical bring more to the drop?

Not particularly, IMO. I've ridden a few (Steel Hawg, Fahrenheit, Maverick), and they vary somewhat. Steel Hawg's is so heavily braked that it barely registers as a drop (it's fun though!) Fahrenheit's feels more like an abrupt push forward (in the back at least) followed by an aggressive push back — more like tipping than dropping. Maverick's feels more like traditional ejection, but it's over very fast. I personally think these kind of drops are more about the visual spectacle / intimidation they produce than the ride sensation itself. They look fantastic and are super fun to watch, but I can think of a number of non-vertical drops that feel more intense than the beyond-vertical drops I've experienced. It'll be interesting to see where the brake releases on this one, as that'll play a role in how gnarly that drop feels.

Edited by Arthur_Seaton

This looks awesome! At first when I read Dive Machine, I thought B&M but when I saw it was a Gerstlauer Infinity I was more excited as this will be a lot more interesting. What a great replacement for Boomerang! The color scheme and design looks great and I love that it will have a lighting package that can change colors for special events like Scary Farm. Between this and Railblazer at CGA, and making a trip to Cedar Point for Steel Vengeance, I will be trading in my Six Flags Gold Pass for a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass for 2018.

Sure, that's possible. We really don't know, and obviously they would've had 2017 plans already made before Valravn opened. But as for the future, I don't see more B&M dive coasters in the chain. That ride has issues.

What issues does Valravn have? I know that the CP thread has been full of SV talk for over a year now, but I feel like these issues would have been talked about if they were that serious.

Given the footprint this ride is going in, it seems to make more sense to go with someone else other than B&M given how drawn out their layouts are. Also, this is just pure speculation, but given the rumors that Magic Mountain is going to be replacing Viper with a B&M dive machine, it also makes more sense to go with a ride that is going to look and feel completely different.

Did anybody else read the LA Times article? The VP of maintenance and projects actually confirmed that they did have plans at one time to put a large coaster in the park, but scrapped the plans because it would have ruined Ghost town and used the money to refurbish Calico and the Log ride instead. That's the first confirmation I have ever seen from Knott's that one had actually been planned. To be honest, I think they made the right choice. Ghost Town is something special and SIlver Bullet did kind of damage the shows at the Wagon Camp.

I got to ride Valvaran just a few weeks ago, and if you're in the edge seats, it is not a smooth ride. Personally, I'm finding some B & M's are starting to get a bit rough as as they age. Although not all, curiously. Just some.

What? I honestly don't know if it's possible to think of a ride that's smoother than Valravn, and we love the end seats. I've also never ridden a rough B&M (aside from the standups which have sucked since day one).

After Valravn I don't see any Cedar Fair property thinking about a dive coaster from B&M to be perfectly honest. Even if this isn't as "grand" as a B&M model, it does make sense for the park, the budget, and uptime.

I also don't know how anyone can question Valravn's uptime. Since the ride opened I don't believe there's been a single day where the ride didn't operate for a mechanical reason. Maybe JRice can confirm.

I imagine Valravn closes for wind because of how large those trains are, but that's not a fault of the ride itself. I too didn't see the ride down for maintenance once in my visits last year.

I also find Dive Machines glass smooth. Even with the old OSTRs, I can't think of a single rough spot on Griffon.

I imagine Valravn closes for wind because of how large those trains are, but that's not a fault of the ride itself.

It's actually very rare for Valravn to go down for wind. Gatekeeper, Raptor and Dragster all close way before Valravn does. The ride rarely faces the bay headwind and it generally hauls up to the midcourse. It closes for rain quite a bit, but that's just Cedar Point being Cedar Point.

During the ceremony, I like how the PR guy was comparing this ride to Dare Devil Dive, instead of to it's more recent cousin Monster. Being that Monster is an infinity coaster as well it would have made a more fair comparison. But, Hangtime's top speed isn't as high as Monster's, and they both have 5 inversions. So I can definitely see why they made the comparison they did.

I hope that Hangtime's holding break is an actual stop, like on B&M dive coaster's, as opposed to DDD's which kind of just slows you down a ton. It will be interesting to see what it's like in the end. Great addition to a park that's sorely needed a new, big, coaster. 16 people per train will definitely help with capacity.

I imagine Valravn closes for wind because of how large those trains are, but that's not a fault of the ride itself.

It's actually very rare for Valravn to go down for wind. Gatekeeper, Raptor and Dragster all close way before Valravn does. The ride rarely faces the bay headwind and it generally hauls up to the midcourse.

Sorry to derail the thread a little more but I can confirm Valran has been open for at least a little bit every day of normal operation this season. Also Valran has very rarely gone down for wind. Only once this entire season. There's been multiple days Gatekeeper, Raptor, & Dragster were down for wind, While Valran keept on trucking all day long. The direction the wind usually pushes is the direction of travel through the 270 degree roll so there's nothing to worry about there.

Back to Knott's. This was the most surprising of the Cedar Fair announcements and I think it's going to be a wonderful fit for the park! I've still never visited Knott's but this new ride is just one more awesome reason to go!

...I've still never visited Knott's but this new ride is just one more awesome reason to go!

One Weekend - West Coast Bash - Sept.2018 (Or whenever it's held, just go!)

This ride looks Awesome! I am looking forward to riding this. Well don't Cedar Fair. Knott's was in need of some love. Hopefully, this trend of amazing additions continues for 2019. One can hope? Can't they?

This was a much needed attraction. Now, if we can just get that hyper or Giga coaster. Well hell, if I'm going to wish then why not ask for a themed custom looping MACK coaster, a re-imagine BigFoot Rapids , and themed Vakoma mine train coaster that interacts w/it, and let's round out the wish list with a complete restoration an RMC custom woodie, & custom T Rex coaster featuring six inversions including two interlocking vertical loops (that loop at the same time), a new entrance, and new landscaping park wide.

Again this is wishful thinking.

That is very wishful thinking. Where a Giga or Hyper could go without completely destroying the theming in the park is pretty non existent. This is likely why they went with a coaster that fit in the footprint of Boomerang and Riptide and didn't stretch out like they did with Silver Bullet. I know many Knott's purists still gripe about that. Of course there are some griping about this addition thinking they should get more family attractions. (Just observations I've seen in some Knott's groups & comments on FB and elsewhere...lol)

Knot's has a hypercoaster. It's called Xcelerator. That's your hypercoaster. Enjoy it. It's a great ride.

Hangtime is the perfect addition to Knott's. Replacing a boomererang with an infinity coaster is just about as good of a replacement as you could (realistically) ask for. It's going to look great in its location.