TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Since the image is frozen it makes an easy "before and after". The cobra roll and catwalk are both likely still there but you can't tell from this angle, then again it doesn't really matter anyway. I was interested to see how large of an area they blocked off with walls and I'll be interested to see the construction process but where exactly they are in the process of dismantling Boomerang and loading it on flatbeds for their trip to Michigan isn't really all that important.

Since the image is frozen it makes an easy "before and after". The cobra roll and catwalk are both likely still there but you can't tell from this angle, then again it doesn't really matter anyway. I was interested to see how large of an area they blocked off with walls and I'll be interested to see the construction process but where exactly they are in the process of dismantling Boomerang and loading it on flatbeds for their trip to Michigan isn't really all that important.

The entire track, including the cobra roll, are still there. I just didn't see the catwalk or stairs.

And are they not doing anything during the day? Just looked at webcam and looks dead over there.

So am I to believe, lookng at diferent videos on youtube, that Sol Spin only spins one direction while Eletro Spin at Carowinds and Shockwave at CW goes forwards and backwards?

That is correct, it's currently running a short program where the main arm only spins in one direction and the individual seating arms don't flip very much.

Knott's hasn't exactly had the best of luck with flat rides that flip. It makes perfect sense to me why they'd want to "break it in" so to speak...

I rode Sol Spin 10 times on Monday and it broke down on ride # 5 for approx 10 minutes. Maintenance had to come over the clear the ride and get us down. The people next to me in line said it broke down 4 times while they were watching it on Sunday. I am guessing you are right about the "break in" period.

I think I only got to flip a total of 20 times between the 10 rides. The cycle definitely could be a little longer or faster but not until it stops breaking down.

PS - Xcelerator was closed on Monday and doesn't appear to be operating in the webcam today.

Edited by SoCalJasonland

I was under the impression that both of the new CF models were used rides purchased by the parks?

How could these rides need a "breakin" period when they travel all over Europe in carnivals that are set up overnight then proceed to run kickass long cycles? Check out some youtube videos of these things in action... these 2 don't even seem like the same ride. I guess we'll hold out on wishful thinking that they'll fix them later.

I was under the impression that both of the new CF models were used rides purchased by the parks?

How could these rides need a "breakin" period when they travel all over Europe in carnivals that are set up overnight then proceed to run kickass long cycles? Check out some youtube videos of these things in action... these 2 don't even seem like the same ride. I guess we'll hold out on wishful thinking that they'll fix them later.

This is what I thought but the carnival models are 6 arms of 5 riders. Knott's version has 6 arms with 6 riders. I don't know if the extra arm length/weight of each arm messes with the motors?

top-srcan-03.jpg.2704099486884ba5fedfcf4b2b1e5f3f.jpg

Regular Top Scan only has 5 seats per arm

22632808_SolSpinWebsiteHeader.jpg.8aaa5c8981d4f312108f855d5eb9a8e6.jpg

Sol Spin with 6 riders per arm

That's disappointing, you're correct. Even the Canada's Wonderland park model only has 5 seats per arm.

Looks like Mondial should have just left this version on the engineering room floor if that's all it can put out... you spend more time awkwardly hanging on your side than flipping.

PS - Xcelerator was closed on Monday and doesn't appear to be operating in the webcam today.

Xcelerator is closed through May 5th for maintenance.

Looks like Mondial should have just left this version on the engineering room floor if that's all it can put out... you spend more time awkwardly hanging on your side than flipping.

I love how in the span of 2 posts it's been decided that the one extra seat per side is the reason that the ride is running a different program than some of it's counterparts, that the design is flawed and that Mondial "should have just left this version on the engineering room floor". How about we give it a little time to break in and see if this continues to run this way?

^ Or someone could end the discussion quickly by posting a video of a 6-seat model doing anything other than running in kiddy mode? Would end the speculation immediately.

Top Scans have long had a reputation for being one of the more extreme thrill rides out there... it shouldn't be surprising that people are a bit sad to see these 2 barely running after a year+ of excitement about them.

Thanks for the clarification WestCoasterKing re: the Knott's model. I know the Carowinds model was used and has 5 seats.

^ Or someone could end the discussion quickly by posting a video of a 6-seat model doing anything other than running in kiddy mode? Would end the speculation immediately.

The burden of proof is on the person jumping to conclusions, not the people who are suggesting that we should take a "wait and see" attitude before assuming that the professionals who designed the ride should have left it on the cutting room floor after it's operated for less than a month and the ride program is likely still being adjusted.

Park models will get cycled WAY more than carnival versions will.

So Knott's Network just posted Facebook photos of Boom showing that indeed a piece of track was removed from the cobra roll but we just couldn't see it because it's blocked from the webcam by the lift hills. I don't how to upload pics from my device so here's the FB link:

boomerang photos curtosy of Knott's Network.

Edited by WestCoasterKing

The webcam near live Boomerang stopped working. It is weird that just that one cam would go down at the time Boomerang starts to come down.

I wonder if the short program on Sol Spin is intentional. If they build something big that uses the old splashdown pool; the bridge to Pacific Spin and Surfside Gliders could be blocked and they will need all of the ride capacity that they can get if those rides go down along with Wipeout, Boomerang and Sky Cabin. It's either that or Mondial could have screwed up with Windseeker and Sol Spin.

I wonder if the short program on Sol Spin is intentional. If they build something big that uses the old splashdown pool; the bridge to Pacific Spin and Surfside Gliders could be blocked and they will need all of the ride capacity that they can get if those rides go down along with Wipeout, Boomerang and Sky Cabin. It's either that or Mondial could have screwed up with Windseeker and Sol Spin.

Wait... what?

Surfside Gliders and Pacific Scrambler are NOT being removed, the Sol Spin cycle is intentional, and Mondial did not screw up. The ride has been open for less than a week, my goodness.

Wait... what?

Surfside Gliders and Pacific Scrambler are NOT being removed, the Sol Spin cycle is intentional, and Mondial did not screw up. The ride has been open for less than a week, my goodness.