The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 1501 - Bigfoot Rapids to become Calico River Rapids
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Postby Chrisrad » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:49 pm

fatdaddy wrote:I wish people under, let's say 30, would quit talking about Knott's charm, if your in your 20's you didn't experience Knott's charm. I mean the park was totally different when I was a kid, how bout this, if you have not seen 4 different coasters including Xcelerator in that spot, don't talk nostalgia.

My sisters were there in the 80s and can't believe how things have changed over the years. My mother/father remember the park from the 60s!

As long as the chicken dinner restaurant stays, at least some remnants of Ghost Town, the Mine Ride, and Log Ride, I'd be happy. At the same time, audiences/generations evolve with times and expect different forms of entertainment.

Your argument reminds me of kids born in the 90s who pretend to like the 80s (the music/clothing/etc.).
Chris #10
2011 Northeast & Cedar Point Trips
Maverick > Millennium Force

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:45 am

fatdaddy wrote:I wish people under, let's say 30, would quit talking about Knott's charm, if your in your 20's you didn't experience Knott's charm. I mean the park was totally different when I was a kid, how bout this, if you have not seen 4 different coasters including Xcelerator in that spot, don't talk nostalgia.

I don't think that is true. The things I remember most about KBF that are gone now are mostly the "little things" like the mural that used to be in the tunnel, how creepy the church+reflection lake were during haunt, the "original" berry stand/vines, and even the dolphin show! Let alone the bigger attractions I loved like Soap Box Racers, Parachute drop, and the Haunt shack.

But in the present state, it is what it is. There's no turning back at this point, so they might as well keep doing what they are doing: building thrill rides and restoring what they can inside the park to maintain some of that old charm.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby DBJ » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:34 am

I am confident that Ouimet will be able to guide Knott's and the other CF parks into a great new direction. His Disney/Disneyland track record is quite impressive.

The lack of charm imo comes down to how the coaster installations have been worked into the park. Under prior management, the Knott's coasters just kind of wiped out the charm, and replaced it with nothing. Silver Bullet I think is the most glaring example. The color scheme, q and the station have literally nothing to do with the old west. Yet it is called Silver Bullet. And the impact it had on the outdoor theater? Surely there must have been a better way to intergrate a coaster like SB into the area.

I remember Knott's from back in the day and for the most part, the park's attraction roster has made it a much better park. The loss of character, charm, and theme in parts of the park are unfortunate. However, I have to give Knott's / CF credit for restoring the peak-in's, and the intergration of some of the park's eateries (Panda, Rockets) into their locations.

So I am hoping Ouimet guides CF into the practice of improving on pre-existing charm, and not just turning the parks into a series of basic steel sheds/stations and concrete. My hopes are high.

TPR Game Exchange Moderator and RCT/RCT2 hacker

Postby djbrcace1234 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:44 pm

Went to the park on Thursday, and I have some good news regarding Pony Express. The second train that has been dismantled since October of last year is finally being put back together. It's half way assembled:
IMG_1230.JPG

And the Windseeker? More assembly has been taken care of, and the queue line itself is almost complete. The control booth is also up, so not much physical construction appears to be made, besides placing ride vehicles, and resurfacing the entrance by Jaguar.
IMG_1247.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG
Fry: Uh, is there a human doctor around?
Dr. Zoidberg: Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby PAL » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Any guesses when Xcellerator will be back to 2 train ops? On Thurs the second train was on the transfer with the shell off the front car.

Still steamed some fool stole my kid's shoes at Soak City. No, I don't blame the park one bit. Some people. :angry:

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby metrock » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Jew wrote:

I don't think that is true. The things I remember most about KBF that are gone now are mostly the "little things" like the mural that used to be in the tunnel, how creepy the church+reflection lake were during haunt, the "original" berry stand/vines, and even the dolphin show! Let alone the bigger attractions I loved like Soap Box Racers, Parachute drop, and the Haunt shack.

Ah, yes. How true it is, Joey. I do miss all those things you mentioned. To add to that list, I'm gonna give a shout out to XK-1. I loved going upside down on it for as long as it would let me.

But you know, the loss of charm is all relative. Some people might say that Knott's lost its charm with the removal of: the parachutes, Wacky Soap Box Racers, Corkscrew, etc. People of an older generation may argue that charm was lost when the aforementioned attractions were installed in place of whatever else where there before. In due time, there will be a generation of people upset at the removal of current attractions that we deemed to be ruining what was there before. So, regardless of age, no one is wrong in feeling that charm is being lost around the park.
- Chris Higgins

| Facebook | Twitter

Cockroach and rat free since 2002!

Postby Bolliger&Mabillard » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:55 pm

In 2021.......

"What? They're removing Perilous Plunge? But that's the only thing on the boardwalk that has to do with water? They're ruining the atmosphere of the park!"
"...and SuperKing, the best one of the three!"

I'm 39 and can't find the Shift Key

Postby fatdaddy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:42 pm

^You know all the charm was lost when they took out Hammerhead! (sarcasm)

Jew wrote:

But in the present state, it is what it is. There's no turning back at this point, so they might as well keep doing what they are doing: building thrill rides and restoring what they can inside the park to maintain some of that old charm.

That was actually the point I was making, that if your old enough to remember those coasters, your old enough to remember the rest of the park when it really was still the Knott's of old. I mean tons of rides, show and attractions have gone in the time since the steeple chase coaster was there. I even miss the old souveniers they used to have. I have no problem with the state of the park as it is, most of the people who complain don't visit the park anyway. There is a lot of work that still needs to be done to the park and I would guess we will see more things either removed or refurbished. Actually there is still a lot of things still there from the "old" Knott's, but again, if you are of the younger generation, you probably don't even know they are there.
WHO'S YOUR DADDY?

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:14 pm

http://ocresort.ocregister.com/2011/07/03/new-knotts-president-promises-progress-but-will-respect-history/81589/

Knott’s Berry Farm bills itself as “America’s first theme park.” Matthew Ouimet calls it a “jewel” in a chain of 11 parks owned by the Berry Farm’s parent company, Cedar Fair Entertainment Co. This week, just days after Ouimet was named president of Cedar Fair, he spent a couple of days visiting Knott’s Berry Farm, taking in the sights and talking to visitors, and of course, eating some of Mrs. Knott’s chicken. “This park has a lot of potential,” he said as he stood in front of the Silver Bullet roller coaster, the new Windseeker ride under construction right behind it. “This is one of those parks that’s a jewel.”

It was the first time he’d been to the park since February, when he visited Knott’s as research while he was a candidate for the Cedar Fair job. Surrounded by the weathered buildings in Ghost Town, Ouimet said that the historic side of Knott’s Berry Farm is one of the park’s greatest allures and needs to be preserved. At the same time, he said, progress needs to be made; new attractions must be put out there to keep visitors — especially young ones — coming through the turnstiles. “These parks — and Disney’s the same way — have to be part timeless and part timely,” Ouimet said. “You’ve got to respect the legacy, but you also have to respect the world’s changed, and the consumer’s changed. … You have to respect the future, or you won’t be here 50 years from now. “I see Knott’s evolving over time. I can’t tell you the specifics on day 10 (on the job), but we’re going to spend a lot of time asking the consumer what they want.”

Ouimet knows a little something about theme parks, having served as president of the Disneyland resort during the park’s 50th anniversary in 2005. “It’s a real advantage for me,” he said. “I know the industry. I know the players in the industry, and I think I know the consumer in Southern California. I think all of that will help (me) get traction sooner rather than later.”

Disney demands a lot from its employees to create the atmosphere its known for. Ouimet said he saw the same dedication and results at the four Cedar Fair parks he’s visited so far. “It’s the people who make the difference,” he said, adding he was impressed with “the quality of the services provided and the quality of the physical plants themselves. I suspected it from the outside, but you never really know until you see it from the inside.”

Last year, company shareholders successfully derailed the sale of the company and criticized its leadership, particularly outgoing Chief Executive Officer Dick Kinzel. (Ouimet will take Kinzel’s place as CEO in January.) The stock fight won’t change how Ouimet does things, he said. “From a park standpoint, from the individual guest, it makes no difference,” he said. “The best thing we can do for our stockholders is to provide a great park experience (for visitors). Our obligation is to make you smile and laugh in a world that is a little more complicated than you believe it should be.”

Ouimet has moved to the Sandusky, Ohio area where Cedar Fair is based, but he will retain his home in Coto de Caza. He has a wife of 29 years, Kathleen, and two grown children.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Tmcdllr » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:54 pm

I wonder what he thought of CGA.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!