TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which Coaster Gives The Best AIRTIME???

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based purely on my expearence I would say that Cornball Express and Shivering Timbers both provide wonderful amounts of airtime that are fully enjoyable... No pain nor is the whole thing dulled by steel tupes... However I will admit B&M Speed coasters (Raging Bull) and Intamin Hypers (I've only been on SROS @ SFA) are both quite amazing. Now for suprisingly awasome air... Raptor, backseat right, I've done it and I love it, Most of them old arrows do a nice job too... Ride Wicked Twister the the back car too... That's crazy fun, I can't help but sware in fear as it climbs the rear spike the 2nd time. It's terrifyingly tasty.

ride6

S:TE? Airtime? Nah...can't be....there wasn't any airtime when I went on it...we barely made it 2/3 up the tower...Booo!!!

Anyway, now that I'm done with my S:TE rant, I would have to say Giant Dipper. All I remember on that thing was my hiney flying off the seat, thighs hitting lap bar, butt slams down again, and up up and away...repeat several times. I had like 4 inches or so on the GD, maybe even more between me and the lapbar. *hint* Ride Giant Dipper with a larger rider being as the 2 of you share a single lapbar.

Shivering Timbers + back seat + about a 4 click ride...safe, but terrifying that first time. AMAZING airtime, standing up on almost every hill, was simply mindblowing.

Next to that goes Cornball...buzzbars and CCI, mmmm.

Magnum can be great if you get room in your bar + you dont get trimmed. Coming home is airtime bonanza.

BTW I know about the Raptor, right side back seat, thats wonderful airtime.

Out of the ones I have been on, I would say Magnum is tops - maybe because it was wet and they didn't have the trims on because I was counting on each bunny hill and I was getting to 4 or 5 every time. Also it was just brutal too, I'm surprised my thighs weren't badly bruised from the lapbar. Note this based on rides in 2004.

Quality airtime - the second and third hill on Millenium Force, quantity airtime - SFNE Ride of Steel has lots though I think Nitro had more but it was so gentle and floaty which didn't impress me as much as the other three.

Goliaths 3rd hill, Ghostrider and California Screamin have pretty good airtime. Superman is a MAJOR letdown on airtime.

Kevin"Who has never experienced ejector air before "Bujold

Edited by X

ok im missing something here, I've ridden S-te several times, and never have felt airtime on any of the rides. for some good air time in my opinion, go ride Viper at SFGA its one of my favorite woodies! The Screamin Eagle used to provide alot of airtime back in the day, but its been changed so much and its gotten tamed over the years, why they even took out one of the best airtime hills on the whole ride! put a straight section of track down in it's place..

ok im missing something here, I've ridden S-te several times, and never have felt airtime on any of the rides. for some good air time in my opinion, go ride Viper at SFGA its one of my favorite woodies! The Screamin Eagle used to provide alot of airtime back in the day, but its been changed so much and its gotten tamed over the years, why they even took out one of the best airtime hills on the whole ride! put a straight section of track down in it's place..

About not being able to feel the 0g's on Superman. Let me try to put this in a way that sounds okay. Lets say your on Goliath at SFMM. < The first drop. As you know you catch a lot of air on that first drop. But I think that half of the feeling of being weightless is being able to see the ground,track, and other elements around you. On Superman all you really see is just blue sky and maybe a few other rider's heads. So there is no visual infront of you showing you that you are going down or up. Also on Superman it's important that:

A) You don't push your lapbar too far down or else that can kill a lot of airtime. < But not loose enough that you fall out

B) When on the vertical part of the ride let go of everything! Don't hang on to the lapbar. Just put your arms out infront of you and just sorta glide.

Did you get that first part okay? I know it's a bit confusing :?

I Thinke there are several types of airtime:

Here are my favourites:

"Floating" Airtime: Colossos ( Heide Park)

"Ejection Seat" Airtime: Expedition GeForce ( Holiday Park)

The longest Airtime :I think it´s Superman the Ecape ( Six Flag Magic Mountain), but I´ve never been there.

Of the coasters I have been on the one with the most memorable airtime for me is the Giant Dipper at the SCBB, near the end of the ride is a series of bunny hops with great head choppers and some butt lifting airtime

I loved Thunder Run, but it was quite rough. It was my first ever ride on a woodie (Twisted Sisters/Twins doesn't count because of its ugly steel supports.) The best airtime I have ever experienced was on Magnum XL 200. Somehow I started daydreaming and falling asleep during the pretzel turn, so the airtime on the bunny hills literally took me by surprise. Many people would say that MF has a ton of airtime, but I only noticed airtime on the first drop, maybe because it was raining really hard and I was in pain from the raindrops pounding my face.

(Twisted Sisters/Twins doesn't count because of its ugly steel supports.)

I totally don't agree, they have been making wood coasters with steel supports for a long time (see Coney Island Cyclone), and while I love the look of a completly wooden coaster, the ride experiance is not drastically diffrent as to try to put it in it's own category