TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

Given its popularity in the other parks, I'm surprised they haven't announced a Midway Mania clone as part of this expansion. Seems strange that the two parks with dedicated Toy Story lands miss out on this ride, and have a collection of mediocre flats instead.

It's an extremely expensive ride - IIRC, the original cost Disney something in the ballpark of $80 million to develop. I'm sure each clone costs much less than that now that all the R&D is done, but it's still an investment that 1) the Studios haven't earned, and probably won't until Disney is ready to massively renovate them and b) would've been crazy to add to Hong Kong's budget when they were already developing Mystic Manor and Grizzly.

^ In HKDL, they've still left space for a possible TSM to be installed. But with their current schedule,

I'm sure they won't be bothering too much about it until well after all the Tomorrowland stuff is done.

And the Frozen land, too.

And at WDS in Paris, Ratatouille is only a few years old. So I didn't expect them to do anything of TSM

until all the renovations, and re-routing of the renovated tram route, etc. are finished with.

That said, it has been a while since Disney Paris got something D-E Ticket wise. Maybe in the 25th

next year, a Major Future Announcement could be made, hmm?

(Sorry if I seem to be repeating an earlier post. I am. (o; )

^ And that was trackless technology, too. Still iffy in the cost evaluation, I'm thinking.

(Still waiting for a BIG ASS version of the ORIGINAL "Alice In Wonderland" attraction. Trackless.)

• 2 months later...

The newest HKDL hotel is ready to open soon!

Disney Explorers Lodge at Hong Kong Disneyland Opens April 30

http://tdrexplorer.com/disney-explorers-lodge-at-hong-kong-disneyland-opens-april-30/

disney-explorers-lodge-400x225@2x.jpg.a05a2c71f5cb721cb8411f2a55dd5e0b.jpg

With four different garden areas, too! Photo from tdrexplorer.com Thanks!

disney-explorers-lodge-lobby-400x225@2x.jpg.644916b45393d3fedabe6c125bb64062.jpg

The Lobby.

• 2 months later...

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/05/frozen-marvel-and-more-coming-to-hong-kong-disneyland/

We’re excited to share that our plans for a major expansion of Hong Kong Disneyland have officially been approved by the Legislative Council of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. Starting next year through 2023, we’ll be adding world-class attractions, entertainment and themed areas to bring to life some of the very best characters and stories of the Disney brand.

Included in our expansion plans are a “Frozen“-themed area transporting guests to the kingdom of Arendelle, a new Marvel-themed area with thrilling attractions and entertainment celebrating your favorite Super Heroes, and a new entertainment venue called Moana’s Village Festival with a lively stage show.

On top of all that, we’ll be transforming Sleeping Beauty Castle to showcase new daytime and nighttime spectaculars and entertainment experiences. There’s so much to do and see, and we can’t wait to bring you along on this journey with us.

Keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog for more expansion updates from Hong Kong Disneyland.

dfn8103.thumb.png.4c1fbcc9997f0a75979c0a461ab065cf.png

ksjdfq8301.png.e97eef14d34a37487827ca919b325610.png

sdkjnfb3u89.png.ef8fd26619e0af2f9b9e466c741fc549.png

^ Yay they got the $$$ approved!

When it was announced, the funding was pending approval. So, it was not clear if the plans would go through. But, we now know the HK$10.9 billion expansion will move forward as the HK$5.45 billion funding proposal has been approved by the Legislative Council.

I am super impressed and looking forward to how this all turns out....eventually.

NewStuff.thumb.jpg.071e2597594c07706f79c759cdb256bb.jpg

Planning to get back here in....2024. After a few years' shakedown of...everything! With a return to Tokyo Disney. And Universal Japan. And Bullet Train. (o:

This is great news! Hong Kong Disneyland is a good park that now has the potential to become a great one.

Edited by cfc

With HKDL and TDLR doing spectacular expansions with attractions and stuff during the next several years,

it makes me wonder what ShanghaiDLR might come up with, after Toy Story Land is built and open?

Not trying to rush things, but I am still curious.

And, I am also curious as to whether Tokyo Disney will eventually announce a timeline

of some kind, for their version of Arendelle/Frozen in Tokyo Disney Sea? Now that HKDL

...has taken the lead in the same E-themed project?

• 5 weeks later...

I am planning to go on the 25th of march next year which is a saturday. It's the only day it looks like i'll be able to make it. How busy is the park on weekends or is it worth looking maybe trying to go on a friday instead of a tour of hong kong that comes with the trip.

I am planning to go on the 25th of march next year which is a saturday. It's the only day it looks like i'll be able to make it. How busy is the park on weekends or is it worth looking maybe trying to go on a friday instead of a tour of hong kong that comes with the trip.

• 2 months later...

Tomorrow will be the last day for Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters. Honestly, I enjoy the ride but I won't miss it too much. I hear Shanghai's version is better and what with it at all the other parks it's not like it'll be missing from the region. Hopefully, all the Hong Kong exclusives replacing it and in the future will give the park a boost after the attendance dropped. As much as I love the park for its quiet lines, it can be scarily quiet on times we've been and were shocked to find walk-ons on days we thought would be busier.

Already said goodbye to the ride two weeks ago. Yes it is a clone and pretty much nothing is unique about it. But it would always have a special place in my heart as Buzz is the first animatronic, even the first robot I have ever seen back in 2005 and I was so amazed that I stood there for 10+ mins watching it (despite the ride being a walk-on)

Look forward to the Agents of Shield re-theme! My memories of Buzz would always be there plus Disney will most likely put a cameo of it somewhere inside of the new ride.

IMG_3586.thumb.JPG.2d717b3fe352b812d82dd3733a34b234.JPG

I have never waited more than 5 mins for Buzz my entire life besides two weeks ago when the line was 35 mins long!

• 1 month later...

A new photo of recent "ground breaking" for the next six years of new attractions, etc. has been posted on the net.

Looks like they are definitely going ahead with FrozenLAND judging from those crates, lol.

frozenGroundBreaking2017.jpg.8821419188c1cb9377cff4da566885e5.jpg

That's a really nice (Really Big) flat surface to work with, there. And Toy Story Land in the background, to the right.

I have been to Shanghai Disneyland, Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo Disneysea and Hong Kong Disneyland. It may surprise many people to know that HK Disney is my favorite of the four parks. All four are nice parks, but HK Disney is nice because I can spend all day there and marathon the whole time-even on weekends. Operations are efficient-even when the park is not busy.

As far as a Magic Kingdom-type Disney park goes, I believe that HKDL will eventually outshine the other Magic Kingdoms.

Based on what I see of their future plans, etc. But that's why I put it as a MK, instead of all the Disney theme parks.

DisneySea still has an cinematic beauty to me, where you can still find small beautiful touches, where and when you least expect it.

And you don't have to really ride anything, to still enjoy a total experience all around you. Not that I'm not going to, ha ha.

But back to Hong Kong. Their future plans just floors me still, considering it was a small MK park in the Hong Kong mountains.

I am definitely looking forward to revisiting this one, hopefully when (most of) everything is finished and operating.

Double Post but after looking and looking at that above photo, it occurred to me that they have cleared A LOT of land there, right up to where Toy Story Land's border, is. And then I looked back at the proposed expansion "map" of the park (I put it up again, here) and there is a Big Space, between FrozenLAND and Toy Story Land...

Things that make you go hmmm... So I am playing a hunch that Toy Story Midway Mania will show up in (part of?) that "extra flat space" right between TSL and FrozenLAND. It's a too perfect location, for it not to happen, lol. And it's literally opposite (park wise) the Antman Shooter attraction taking over Buzz. But the long shot of my speculation is, we may never know of any project in that space, until everything already planned for, finishes up in....2023?

AND ~ that Marvel Attraction space for 2023 is So F-ing HUGE, it makes me wonder if they're planning to build as big an attraction (with all the same tech, incl. trackless vehicles, and Gi-normous building!) as they're building with the StarWars:GE major attraction? And totally re-theme it to Marvel? They did it with ToT, Dinosaur was done over Indy, they're doing it with Buzz, Soarin' is getting re-done everywhere, so why not another Big E-ticket attraction? From another Disney park?...

EDIT: #BlueSkyThoughts

NewStuff09.jpg.4bec6a6e10bc7a4712fc680ef757bc87.jpg

That's a Big Space there, I'd say. (o: (o: (o: ...And, about the SIZE of that Marvel Attraction... (o;

HKDL-NewStuff06.jpg.4d794e7c8e448859dd1c1d9ab2645a5b.jpg

And that IS a f-ing Big Show Building! Concept art, Marvel Attraction, 2023. (o:

(And right edge of it is Iron Man Exp. with the new AntMan right beside that,)

Edited by Nrthwnd

I have been to Shanghai Disneyland, Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo Disneysea and Hong Kong Disneyland. It may surprise many people to know that HK Disney is my favorite of the four parks. All four are nice parks, but HK Disney is nice because I can spend all day there and marathon the whole time-even on weekends. Operations are efficient-even when the park is not busy.

I've mentioned this before, but my wife is the same. Even though she things Tokyo is the best, Hong Kong is her favorite and the one she likes to visit, especially now we have a young child. She likes that we can stroll up to a parade 10 mins before and still find a spot only a row or two back, get a photo with characters in under 15 mins, jump on 90% of the rides and grab a show, fireworks, or eat at the Corner Cafe without needing a lot of planning beforehand.

She just thinks for our son being able to walk straight up to Chip&Dale or Stitch right away and go where he wants is a great introduction to Disney before he's older for the lines and crowds of the nearby Tokyo parks.

• 3 weeks later...