Ghost Town In The Sky Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Ghost Town In The Sky Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:14 am

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Ghost Town in the Sky, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

February 8th, 2007 - park plans to re-open with two new rides

March 11th, 2009 - Ghostown files for bankruptcy protection
June 28th, 2009 - Cliffhanger Testing!
June 30th, 2009 - Cliffhanger to open tomorrow, unfortunately it is only for one day

February 17th, 2010 - Creditors vote on future of the park
February 25th, 2010 - Mudslide nearby causes more problems for the park
March 10th, 2010 - Park has until June to stop foreclosure
April 21st, 2010 - Primary Owner wants to purchase park out of bankruptcy
May 4th, 2010 - Judge approves company's bid to buy the park
July 28th, 2010 - Al Harper takeover deal falls through

February 7th, 2012 - Park gets new owner who helped open it originally
February 16th, 2012 - Alaska Presley speaks about plans to revive the park
March 9th, 2012 - Park revival plans include new religious aspects
March 22nd, 2012 - Dolly Parton's sister recruit to help reopen the park
April 11th, 2012 - Park aiming for a tentative June 2012 reopening
April 12th, 2012 - Alaska Presley officially holds title for park assets
July 9th, 2012 - Park re-opens, sort of. For now it's only the old chair lift and 3 newly installed zip lines

April 25th, 2013 - Projected opening date & Old Western Town news!

http://www.smokymountainnews.com/issues ... group.html

A potential buyer might be on the horizon for Ghost Town, the Western theme amusement park above Maggie Valley that drew more than 300,000 visitors a year during its heyday. It closed in 2002 after a decade of gradual decline to the detriment of tourism regionwide.

The potential buyer is a real estate investment group from Florida, according to Wade Reece, owner of Quality Inn who announced the pending sale.

Ghost Town’s owner and founder, R.B. Coburn, would not comment on the record regarding the potential buyer. Coburn, 85, said it was inappropriate to discuss the sale publicly before the deed is signed and money changes hands.

Coburn did say that an article appearing in The Enterprise Mountaineer Monday (March 14) was inaccurate, however. The article stated that Ghost Town had been sold and a contract existed. The article was based on a press release sent to local media by Reece stating that Ghost Town had been sold.

Reece, a self-appointed volunteer who is marketing Ghost Town, found the investment group and orchestrated the potential deal with Coburn. Some of the partners in the investment group came to Haywood County one month ago to look at a $1 million, 102-acre vacation property that Reece owned. They decided not to buy the vacation property, but Reece showed them around Maggie Valley while they were here. They sat in the Ghost Town parking lot in Reece’s Denali for 30 minutes listening to Reece talk about the story behind Ghost Town and the history of tourism in Maggie Valley.

“They said ‘we’ll buy it,’” Reece recounted. “I said, ‘Wait a minute, I’ve heard that before. If you’re going to buy it, where is the money going to come from?’”

That’s when Reece learned these visitors in the market for vacation property run a development group with a circle of very wealthy — and some famous — investors. The group puts together multi-million dollar real estate deals — including golf courses, shopping malls and resorts — and then floats the projects to its circle of investors, who opt in or out on each deal.
Last edited by larrygator on Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:01 am.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:32 am

Yay!!! Credits!!!

Elissa "tired of always passing that exit on the drive from Dollywood to Carowinds!" Alvey

Idiot.

Postby Tomizzle For Rizzle » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:23 pm

Yeah, hopefully I will get to ride Red Devil...AGAIN. I have super 8 footage of that park when I was like 3 on the kiddy coaster and their Sea Dragon rules, perched on the side of the mountain.

Tommizzle

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Cesar Geranemo » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:51 am

Thanks for this little ray of hope Robb. Ghost Town is one of my childhood parks which hold alot of great memories. Did you know that Burt Reynold's worked in the park as one of the gunfighters one summer before becoming famous? Red Devil has to be one of the most visually specatular coasters anywhere due to being perched on the side of the mountain. Holding out hope that this park will someday return to us. I somehow get a feeling that these investors may have an interest in this property for other purposes. Hope I'm wrong. Seems that I may have read somewhere before that the owner will only sell on the condition that the buyer keep property as a Theme Park?
Take it easy,
DAC

CERREBELLUMED!!!!!!11!

Postby Trev32 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:22 am

YAY!

I hope they do buy it, my coaster count could use some help. ;)

Trev"i hope they get the money"32

Site Admin

The Ghost Town in the Sky Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:12 am

Nevermind
Last edited by larrygator on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:14 pm.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Ghost Town In the Sky

Postby kidcoaster » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:20 pm

Ghost Town In The Sky will reopen with 2 new rides a Drop tower and a Family Frendly Coaster.

Read More
Ken Jones

CLP will be back!!!

R.I.P. Geauga Lake 1888-2007

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby carolinacaniac » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:46 pm

This is definatley good to hear that they want to make the improvements to the place. I dunno that I will make it there this year since I am pretty booked solid for my trips/summer, but I hope I can shoot over there next summer, or maybe find a free day to go there this year. I was confused on whether the new coaster is going to replace the old kiddie or if they will have both? Anyone know?
"Imagine the Crystal Beach Cyclone with a Gerstlauer train!"

Elissa + Hangman Fanboy

Postby FlippyTrick09 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:04 pm

I :devil: HATE :devil: Maggie Valley!

Ghost town in the Sky will be the only way I will ever even think about going back for.

I hope the park does prospur, though. It will be nice going back to hell, I mean Maggie Valley, to a nice theme park.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby carolinacaniac » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:32 pm

So what do you not like about the area?

I personally become less of a fan of the state every year when I do taxes because they always want something, and then the raise my tuition. Where are my tax dollars going? The roads aren't any better.
"Imagine the Crystal Beach Cyclone with a Gerstlauer train!"

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!