Liseberg Discussion Thread

Pg 272: Valkyria Construction Tour
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:40 pm

I just hope no hot Swedish chicks were hurt!

Hot Potato!

Postby sfne2005 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:59 pm

"Pain Relieving and Intravenous drips" should be offered more often after riding some coasters....maybe thats a good idea (but of all parks, not in Lisenberg)

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby turbolaaf » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:21 am

Damn looks like i'm going to miss a credit.
For the first time i'll be traveling to Sweden and Norway in the next two weeks and we planned Liseberg on tuesday :(
Since it should be one of the better coasters around there so poor old me....
Still a bad thing to happen and i'm sorry for those who injured.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Casper » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:21 am

It says in today's morning newspaper here that the cause of the accident was that the chain snapped shortly after the train had engaged it. That's probably why they're looking into the channel in the picture above. Since only part of the train was on the lift hill it had not "activated" (their words) enough anti-rollback devices so those that had been "activated" were not strong enough to hold the train and prevent the rollback. According to Liseberg only 1 or 2 anti-rollback devices out of 11 on the train had engaged. Liseberg claims that if the train had made it just a little bit further up the lift hill the rollback would not have occured, and that the accident was "unforseeable". Accordning to Liseberg the entire train had not even left the station before it happened and only the first few cars were on the lift hill, but witnesses claim that the train were higher up the lift, even as far up as "the fifth or sixth flag" (which would mean the entire train was on the lift).

The train struck the train behind it while it was unloading in the station so people were standing up in the train and were "thrown around" when the collision occured. No one was seriously injured though some may have sustained whiplash and similar injuries. Witnesses claim there were smoke as the colliding train pushed the train in the station through the station brakes.

I'm guessing Lisebergbanan will be closed for quite some time now. First there's going to be an official investigation by the swedish equivalent to the NTSB and then I'm guessing they need to rework the anti-rollbacks so they engage earlier.

That random nerd

Postby Vekoma Fan Boy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:09 pm

Here's an idea. Make the ride mannually operated ant stick some traction tires at the bottom of the lift to make sure the whole thing engages.

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby Astat » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:53 pm

Well, there is a bright side to this: Since the train wasn't even fully on the lifthill, it didn't roll back very far and the collision must have been relatively low-speed. Hopefully it won't be down too long, hate to see this happen to a Schwarzkopf. =(

Books are dumb

Postby Loefet » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:50 pm

I went to Liseberg earlier today and the trains were still on track, as they were after the collision. But later in the day we heard some loud bangs from the station and trains had been moved into the maintenence area. We talked to some staff at the entrance to Lisebergbanan and they didn't know when the ride was going to open again. Hopefully it would do so asap.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby viking86 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:54 pm

Im going there not the upcoming week, but the week after. I sure hope its open by then because its a really good coaster.

^Going slightly off-topic here, but Im going with a friend whose not so eager to go if theres only two of us. If you live near Liseberg, would you like to meet up with us? Maybe bring some friends along? I really need to ride a coaster now, but if he doesnt want to go then Im not going either. PM me or contact me on MSN if youre interested.

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:50 am

I was really sad when I heard this news, poor banana. Hopefully it will be fixed and reopened with any necessary modifications and will continue to be the capacity monster that it is. I'd hate to see it only run 1 train. :cry:
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:24 pm

Let's see now...

1) Stabbing incident at KFC in Thorpe Park.

2) Rollback Accident w/Lisebergbanan coaster @ Liseberg...

I guess it's me, but it now seems, different parks the UK Tour group visited in June - are now starting to have problems, coaster and non-

:omg:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!