Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

P. 753 - Cyborg Ride Announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:23 pm

^ I think Superman with less bulky restraints could be my preferred choice in all seats. I'm still hoping that happens someday considering they eventually got new trains for a 20 year old SLC.

I think the finale of Wicked Cyclone is still pretty awesome. It's slower than the other parts of the ride, but that camera hill is really wild, the last zero-G roll has a ton of airtime, and that outward banked hill has some strong air too.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby BoulderDash » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:43 pm

The trains on Superman don't appear to be in the best shape and have been really noisy lately. It still rides great but I noticed a significant amount of noises coming from the trains. I really hope that one year they invest in new restraints and replace the missing row. I just want the restraints to be identical to the way a normal T bar would fit but with a U shaped bar. Modifying the restraints would also likely allow them to ditch the headrests, I believe they are a requirement with the restraints they currently have.

Seems like Goliath has had a lot of down time lately, I wonder how long it will before they pull the plug on it. It is a maintenance nightmare, and a waste of space. I see Flashback or GCG leaving before Goliath though, but hopefully it will be soon to follow. Unless they get a new Vekoma train for it and put some money into making it work, then I am totally fine with it staying.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Jason Maier » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:59 pm

Aren't the trains on Goliath Premier built?

And IF Goliath and/or Flashback go to the scrapyard, what goes in their places?

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:59 pm

^ Goliath may have had a decent bit of downtime lately, but it seems to be pretty popular. It's not uncommon for it to have a 30-60 minute wait while Flashback is no more than a one cycle wait.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby bill_s » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:05 am

Chasehat wrote:As amazing as both are Superman has always been the one I've preferred. The combination of sustained ejector and smaller pops of ejector while mixing still mixing in big forces is just awesome to me. its layout is about as close to perfection as you can get. It doesn't have the extreme airtime of something like El Toro (while Supermans airtime is still insane) but the variety really is what makes it so good. On WindexCyanide after the hill that comes right after the second inversion the ride is just kinda meh for me. Superman kicks A$$ the whole way through so that's why I prefer it.

I think Superman's ejector is stronger than El Toro, like Skyrush it feels like it wants to rip my legs off a little much to not hold myself down. Maybe that was just the 8.5 hours in a car getting there, plus GrAdv doesn't have WC and Thunderbolt to pre-treat your thighs first. I was saying the slightly less force as well as lumping it in bigger hills on El Toro results in much more sustained air, although the bigger hills style results in the front seats not having as a good of air in the traditional way vs. smaller hills that maintain speed. I can totally see why Superman's so high rated but it left me with a appreciation of the speed and comfort of I305, believe it or not. Also, while it made sense to RMC their Cyclone, it does seem like a weird combination to have so much extreme lapbar ejector air in one park. It hurt my thighs, but my hips and back felt great for weeks from the chiropractic stretch!

P.S. Superman is still going to be more comfortable than Skyrush or El Toro for those really pushing the size limit as the lapbar sensors aren't quite as restrictive.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Chasehat » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:39 am

bill_s wrote:
Chasehat wrote:As amazing as both are Superman has always been the one I've preferred. The combination of sustained ejector and smaller pops of ejector while mixing still mixing in big forces is just awesome to me. its layout is about as close to perfection as you can get. It doesn't have the extreme airtime of something like El Toro (while Supermans airtime is still insane) but the variety really is what makes it so good. On WindexCyanide after the hill that comes right after the second inversion the ride is just kinda meh for me. Superman kicks A$$ the whole way through so that's why I prefer it.

I think Superman's ejector is stronger than El Toro, like Skyrush it feels like it wants to rip my legs off a little much to not hold myself down. Maybe that was just the 8.5 hours in a car getting there, plus GrAdv doesn't have WC and Thunderbolt to pre-treat your thighs first. I was saying the slightly less force as well as lumping it in bigger hills on El Toro results in much more sustained air, although the bigger hills style results in the front seats not having as a good of air in the traditional way vs. smaller hills that maintain speed. I can totally see why Superman's so high rated but it left me with a appreciation of the speed and comfort of I305, believe it or not. Also, while it made sense to RMC their Cyclone, it does seem like a weird combination to have so much extreme lapbar ejector air in one park. It hurt my thighs, but my hips and back felt great for weeks from the chiropractic stretch!

P.S. Superman is still going to be more comfortable than Skyrush or El Toro for those really pushing the size limit as the lapbar sensors aren't quite as restrictive.

I don't like Supermans restraints but I've never found them particularly painful. They can be very uncomfortable if you get stapled, which SFNEs Ops tend to do. As far as too much ejector in one park.... I think there's never to much ejector air :lmao:
Top 10 coasters
1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance
3. Superman the Ride 4. Maverick
5. Millennium Force 6. Storm Chaser
7. Boulder Dash 8. Wicked Cyclone
9. Fury 325 10. Diamondback

Postby coasterbill » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:55 am

The Holiday in the Park website is up (though it's clearly a work in progress) and we have a lot more information about the event now as well as some (small-ish) images of the setup at the park.

They're small so I won't share a ton, but some of them look awesome...

The ride list doesn't seem to work, but if you go to the main site and check what's not listed as "closed for the season", you'll get the list. It hasn't changed. The highlights are still the coasters (Batman, Thunderbolt, Mind Eraser, Joker and Fireball... and the kids coaster for you whores. lol), along with Buzzsaw and Tomohawk (though there are reports that Tomohawk has been winterized).

We have a lot of information on the shows too.

The main show will be Frost, a cirque style show in the Rockville theater.
The description honestly makes it sound really good. Obviously this is going to be on a Six Flags Budget in a small theater, but I'm actually really looking forward to it.
A cold North wind blew through the land creating a frosty coating in Snowflake Falls. Swirling snows conjured up a magical winter spectacle where some of the most amazing cirque acts gather on stage in this amazing spirited performance. Join us on a journey of astonishing feats of acrobatic artistry and energizing dance styles. You’ll be on the edge of your seat and entranced by amazing feats of skill, dance, music, and the mystical wonder that fills the air.

As these Six Flags events go, this one is actually pretty show heavy which is nice since they have a limited ride lineup compared to the other events since they're so far north (though they still blow every seasonal Cedar Fair park to hell in this department). They don't have 2 full blown theater shows like Six Flags America but they do have a tree lighting show in addition to Holiday Magic and their main theater show. I wouldn't be shocked if they actually beat Great Adventure in the show department this year (though everyone at Great Adventure will probably be far too busy riding Nitro to care).

A lot of the things listed under "Entertainment" are sort of bullsh*t, but aside from "Frost" there are a few others that look cool.

Apparently they'll have a tree lighting show every night over near Goliath at 5:00 (where there's apparently a 50 foot tree) and a "Holiday Magic" show every 15 minutes on the main midway. I would expect the show to be set to this audio but instead of a tree it'll feature coordinated lights on the main midway buildings and strung above the midway itself.

I actually really like that Six Flags has made this show a little bit different at every park (even though the music is the same). I know a lot of people complain about that but it doesn't really bother me. Keep doing the same thing every year, that's cool with me. Most of the time it would be annoying but the Holidays are all about tradition and sooner or later this show will become one. F*ck the haters. Um... I mean... Merry Christmas. :lol:

This event looks awesome and I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully we'll get up there in the next few weeks. ;)

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:45 am

The whole event sounds great and I'm excited to try it out.

I figured the tree would be down on the South End somewhere or the main courtyard, but placing it on the North End side should help prevent congestion since there aren't too many rides open down there.

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby coneyislandchris » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:36 am

coasterbill wrote:The ride list doesn't seem to work, but if you go to the main site and check what's not listed as "closed for the season", you'll get the list. It hasn't changed. The highlights are still the coasters (Batman, Thunderbolt, Mind Eraser, Joker and Fireball... and the kids coaster for you whores. lol), along with Buzzsaw and Tomohawk (though there are reports that Tomohawk has been winterized).

Call me crazy, but I thought the reports were in that Buzzsaw was removed? Or am I misremembering?

This does look fantastic -- I have no idea whether or not we'll be able to bounce up there at all for this due to an insanely packed schedule over the run-up to Christmas, but I'd love to come and check it out if at all possible.
That coaster dad [316] and that coaster kiddo [175]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Banshee. Top Thrill Dragster. Valravn. Apollo's Chariot. Twisted Timbers.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:07 am

There are strong rumors that Buzzsaw will be removed after Holiday in the Park and that the Teacups will take their place (as the new frisbee will go in their current location). This is sort of backed up by the fact that the teacups aren't open for Holiday in the Park even though they're right in the heart of the Holiday in the Park area, though I guess that could just be for site prep regardless of where they end up.

Personally I hope the rumors aren't true, but I get the feeling this might be your last chance to ride Buzzsaw.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!