TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

IDK....I was jut reviewing MF POV.....there’s only 2 air time hills....what’s up with that....it may be a hundred feet taller than Supe at SFNE but it doesn’t hold up against Supes 3 epic airs before it heads into the spaghetti bowl of insaneness....Supe at SFNE really is great

I totally rank Superman higher than Millennium Force BUT if there is one thing I've learned in this hobby is to never judge a coaster by a POV. As much as I prefer Superman, MF is reeeeally good. In essence, don't knock it til ya try it.

If it wasn't for the painful restraints, superman would be in my top 10.

Why are the restraints so terrible? I keep hearing this and IDK, I don't mind them.....thing is though - Superman is really the only hyper I have ridden.....I need to get out more lol

Why are the restraints so terrible? I keep hearing this and IDK, I don't mind them.....thing is though - Superman is really the only hyper I have ridden.....I need to get out more lol

There was an accident early in the early 2000s. I forget which year, but when it reopened the state would not allow the original T-bar restraints it was designed with ala Millenium Force or Top Thrill Dragster. Now they’re thick yellow U-bars? Correct me if im wrong, I haven’t been in a few years, kind of similar to the thickness of El toro.

There was an accident early in the early 2000s. I forget which year, but when it reopened the state would not allow the original T-bar restraints it was designed with ala Millenium Force or Top Thrill Dragster. Now they’re thick yellow U-bars? Correct me if im wrong, I haven’t been in a few years, kind of similar to the thickness of El toro.

The accident happened in early 2004. They added weird ankle restraints and side bars to the T-bar restraints. I rode it for the first time later that season, and compared to the T-bar system of MF/TTD, they were the exact same but just more crammed due to the additions. In 2009 they got totally new trains, which included the massive new lap bars that land directly on the mid-thigh (they are much thicker than Toro's lap bar as well). They are also now ratchet-style, so they are easier to click down even further during high g-force moments than the old restraints, which further compounds the stapling/painfulness.

Ya the guy that got ejected was from Bloomfield, CT near where I live.....he was ejected on the last turn before the brake run - the restraint did not lock in from what i've read - IDK how a train can be cleared to leave if theres a restraint not locked but maybe back in 2004 it could.....his size was an issue and he had cerebral palsy.....

Currently the restraints are black and your legs go in between the connecting bars rather than straddling a single bar as I imagine it would be like with T-bar......I will admit the restraint is bulky and never seems to land right on my lap - I much prefer the kind on wicked cyclone...those are comfortable

Yeah there's just something about MF that is just so amazing. I will say though if it weren't for the restraints, Superman would probably beat MF for me.

I totally rank Superman higher than Millennium Force BUT if there is one thing I've learned in this hobby is to never judge a coaster by a POV. As much as I prefer Superman, MF is reeeeally good. In essence, don't knock it til ya try it.

The two coasters are pretty different now that I look at it - MF drop is higher by like 80 feet and the top speed is faster by 16 mph with a longer track.....but Superman makes up for it with more airs and that ridiculousness after the third big hill.....the tunnel and the last two bunny hops is nice.....I'm sure the drop on MF and those G's you pull at the bottom of the drop are nuts and that first overbank looks very tight - probably where it pushes the 4.5 G's listed on Wiki....Superman maxes at 3.8 probably in the same overbank after the first big hill.....

I also looked at layout of the two coasters and Superman is more linear running along the CT River bank and had the available length to fit the lift hill, drop and first hill in before turning it around at the overbank.....then the twisty track through the cutouts and two airtime hills coming back for the spaghetti bowl.....MF also runs along the shoreline but they had to take it inland a bit onto that island to get the length they wanted......probably why they couldn't get a big hill in after the drop....I'd love to design these things....would be so fun

I finally got on MF and to CP this year at Coastermania. The pure speed is just awesome but between the two I still think Superman, can’t use possessive because of contracts with DC, is the better layout but MF’s restraints and trains are so much better. Both are just awesome coasters.

Six flags made what seems to be a test site that looks like rides from New England and great escape

https://www.sixflags.com/springfield

Looks like the kids area could get a make over

I miss the lumberjack theme tbh

This isn’t real....Illinois? Haven’t heard S about this in Mass....our home park is SFNE....

Springfield is the next town over and the park is sometimes referred to as being in Springfield. It also comes up when you google six flags New England

Six flags made what seems to be a test site that looks like rides from New England and great escape

https://www.sixflags.com/springfield

Looks like the kids area could get a make over

I miss the lumberjack theme tbh

This isn’t real....Illinois? Haven’t heard S about this in Mass....our home park is SFNE....

Springfield is the next town over and the park is sometimes referred to as being in Springfield. It also comes up when you google six flags New England

I know where Springfield MA is and it’s proximity to SFNE....thing was when I went to that site the underlying map background had towns in Illinois....certainly not MA or CT.....

Site appears to be down now....so can’t reconfirm

MF is overrated but definitely a more comfortable ride now so it has staying power in rankings while Superman has slipped. Superman won most head to heads between about 2003 and when it got bizarro'd.

MF is probably the 3rd or 4th best coaster at CP now which is amazing because it is a great coaster.

Last few rides on Superman were on red train - we all know that blue train is idle - generally in car 4 or 5....I like to be close to the train center of gravity so I’m not getting held back toward the front or yanked over in the back....question is what’s making the train rattle and chatter so much in the spaghetti bowl? Is the fron or back better for that?.....lots of lateral back and forth shimmy especially as you transition out of the first helix into the second one as you go between track towers and under some track.....very distracting

Yea...the restaurants produced a painful ride. Enough pain to only ride it once with only a 2 train wait.

I'm all for safety but when you come off the ride with bruises on your legs and dreading every airtime hill because of the restraint digging into you, it loses a lot of points in my book.

I wonder why they felt the need to change the restraints on this intiman, but not the others?

Btw...not sure when the blue train went down, but it was running when I was there a month ago.

20180627_162648.thumb.jpg.436c7177aa0a1693c45c7ebf245c2d25.jpg

20180629_152556.thumb.jpg.50673fd74563e40717589b514f21efdb.jpg

Yea...the restaurants produced a painful ride. Enough pain to only ride it once with only a 2 train wait.

I'm all for safety but when you come off the ride with bruises on your legs and dreading every airtime hill because of the restraint digging into you, it loses a lot of points in my book.

I wonder why they felt the need to change the restraints on this intiman, but not the others?

Btw...not sure when the blue train went down, but it was running when I was there a month ago.

See above posts. There was an accident in 2004 when someone died when the ride hit the brake run, the restraints were changed after that.

^The evolution of the restraints on Superman are probably subject to local regulation more than anything else due to the 2004 incident.....it’s a bummer....IDK they can’t use a restraint like wicked cyclone....those are very comfortable

See above posts. There was an accident in 2004 when someone died when the ride hit the brake run, the restraints were changed after that.

Hence the reason I said I'm all for safety.