TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Worlds Of Fun, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

September 7th, 2005 - Patriot announced - SEE BELOW!

September 21st, 2005 - Patriot goes vertical

January 14th, 2006 - Patriot completed

March 6th, 2007 - Park announces small upgrades for 2007

September 1st, 2008 - Prowler announced

October 18th, 2008 - Prowler Vertical Construction starts

May 1st, 2009 - Prowler: Media Preview Day

February 25th, 2010 - Announcement of Snoopy's Hot Summer Lights

November 9th, 2010 - Worlds of Fun to get 1926 M.C Illions Carousel previously at Geauga Lake

January 26th, 2011 - Planet Snoopy expansion adds an eighth new ride, Sally's Swing Set!

September 15th, 2011 - World's largest can pyramid built at Worlds of Fun

October 4th, 2011 - Half Pint Brawlers coming to Worlds of Fun!

October 9th, 2011 - Halloween Haunt trip report posted!

April 9th, 2012 - Fast lane info

August 30th, 2013 - SteelHawk announced for 2014

March 7, 2014 = SteelHawk topped off

April 4, 2014 = Opening Day Report

May 21, 2014 = Great Train Robbery Returns

July 11, 2014 = Steelhawk Strands Riders

August 26th, 2014 = Splash Island to be added to Oceans of Fun for 2015

August 20th, 2015 - Planet Snoopy upgrade with five new family rides (including Woodstock Flyers)

February 6th, 2016 - two classic flat rides: HUSS Condor and Troika to be added for 2016

August 16th, 2017 - Nordic Chaser announced for 2018

January 4th, 2018 - Timber Wolf gets an 70° over banked turn in 2018!

August 11th, 2023 - Zambezi Zinger announced for 2023!

Original Post:

"Kinzel concluded by explaining that the Partnership plans to announce its 2006 capital plans for Worlds of Fun tomorrow, September 7. Capital expenditure plans at the Partnership’s other parks for next season are in the process of being finalized and will be announced over the next month or two."

The New Pigeon!

Such a happy day tomorrow!

-Cal

It is something more of a modified Talon layout, VERY closely modeled after Talon. Of which I see NO straight sections. So you must be looking at the wrong track.

All the elements are the same except its a bit taller and they are angled differently.

Yeah.. it looks like Talon only with a shorter, less intense ending... which isnt a bad thing really. Anything close to Talon should be a great ride. I think even the zero G on Talon goes up really high like that and is drawn out, but its still packs a good punch. Hopefully this wont be too neutered.

Eric

When I first saw the cg rendering photos I thought it looked killer, but then I saw the video and it showed how slow and drawn out the elements are taken. I think the ride would be better (purely based on cg renderings) if it took the layout in a more aggressive and forceful manner.

Yey! I'm excited that Worlds Lacking Fun is getting a Talonesque ride! That means plenty of vertical loop photo opportunities for me.....when I get there, which will probably be in like 2038 when I've gotten every other credit in existence and finally decide to go to Worlds of Fun for their dismal collection. Oh well, so far 2 of B&Ms 2006 projects don't look too bad....

I love how everyone is trashing the coaster before vertical construction has really gotten of the ground. Hope for the best (Raptor) prepare for the worst (Silver Bullet). Come on people Silver Bullet isn't that bad.... Still better than any Arrow and Vekoma looper, and still smoother than almost everything out there.

So much cynicism in the coaster enthusiast world. *sigh*

Sometimes I get the feeling that we as enthusiasts dont enjoy coasters nearly as much as the GP. Isnt it supposed to be the other way around?

An "enthusiast" of any subject is going to be more critical than someone who is a casual participant. It just comes with the nature of the hobby!

I deal with this in my job. As a guy who manages the development of video games, I am constantly reading message boards about how lame our recent feature set it is in "game x" but the retail going public buys millions of copies and love it!

We do our best to keep the die-hard gamers happy, but we know our real audience is the mass market.

Same thing applies to theme parks and coasters.

I know I am more critial of the WoF coaster because in order for *ME* to ride it, it will cost me airfare, hotel stay, rental car, etc. For your random person living in Kansas City, it will cost them the amount of a discounted admission with thier Pepsi can or fast food coupon!

With that, I have a right to be more critical!

--Robb

I love how everyone is trashing the coaster before vertical construction has really gotten of the ground. Hope for the best (Raptor) prepare for the worst (Silver Bullet).

Yes, but with the new amazing technology known as animation, we can pretty much "ride" the coaster before it is even built, knowing pretty much what to expect. Its not like the Arrow coasters of yesteryear that were designed using coat hangers and you knew nothing about it until it actually opened.

Its not that I'm not enthusiastic about the ride. I'm glad Worlds Lacking Fun is actually getting a coaster without taking another one out AGAIN! But for me to be jumping up and down and booking flights for April for a ride that more or less resembles a coaster 30 miles away from me would be like me super happy that SFOT is finally getting a Batman: The Ride 6 years after my local park got one and booking a flight immediately just for that ride. Or that its finally time for me to visit VisionLand because they got a boomerang when I rode one of them first back in 1990.

For the local Kansas City person, first off I say "sorry you live there" and then I say "congrats, you've finally gotten a B&M inverted without having to drive to the other side of the state." Hey, if its even remotely like Talon, it still won't be the most forceless ride out there, just look forward to your near clone of Hydra in 2010.

Well, for people that do live far away, it is impractical unless it was another chart topping ride. We all know that those are few and far between and only a select group of parks even attempts to throw in rides like that.

I find it somewhat futile for people like you Robb, whom it would cost quite a bit, to quarrel (you havent really yet, just an example) over the rides greatness or lack there of. Same for me, Im a bit closer but I sure as heck wouldnt drive that distance.

So yea, I understand that while enthusiasts may find more joy in certain things (hence the term) than other people, the being more critical side, while natural, seems to contradict the meaning of being an enthusiast.

At least to me. Ive been with people (was one myself) who was so critical it takes all the fun out of riding coasters or even talking about them.

Guess I look at things in a utopian aspect sometimes...I can still hope.