Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

P. 362: Timber Wolf gets an 70° over banked turn in 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Re: Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

Postby Jaykethekid » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:01 pm

super7 wrote:They are stating the helix was the finale. Its really the middle of the ride.

It was an upward helix, which loses speed instead of gaining it. A downward helix is usually more exciting.
the
It is however a shame when coasters get their length cut. Six Flags is the champion of shortening coasters when they re track them with their Rocky Mt. conversions. Like everything Six Flags do, they retrack as cheaply as possible. Cedar Fair has been much better at keeping their original length until this.

My take on the length argument, its better to have a short ride that packs in non stop action from start to end than a long ride that just meanders and crawls into the next element. Also, its not like they're taking out half of the ride here. Its literally just the helix.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/a119863cb40d603ccb6f817858d7c1d5.jpg[/img][/url]

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby michaellynn4 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:24 pm

I'd rather have a shorter ride that doesn't beat the crap out of me than a longer one that does. Guess there always has to be something for someone to complain about, though. :roll:
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby 11slataus » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:40 pm

I rode Timberwolf in 2012. First ride of the day, I believe. I didn't hate it. I thought the layout was okay and while it was rough, it didn't seem THAT rough to me. Parents hated it though; bad first ride of the day for them.

The helix didn't stand out to me too much. I don't remember too excessive roughness, and it was fun at first but it just went on for too long. And it really divided the ride into two distinct halves. So while the loss of ride length is a shame, the new turn looks great in that the whole ride will seem cohesive now, and the second half should REALLY fly, and that is exciting. It will be a unique surprise too, seeing as the other two major turns on the ride are high, flat turns. Good move by WoF!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:55 pm

Okay, so are they just taking out the helix and replacing with an overbank, or are they taking out the 2nd lap through the inner part entirely and just making a left turn from the overbank straight into the brakes?
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby bluestreak » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:00 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Okay, so are they just taking out the helix and replacing with an overbank, or are they taking out the 2nd lap through the inner part entirely and just making a left turn from the overbank straight into the brakes?

Judging by the renderings it looks like swapping the helix for the new turn. Everything else is the same.
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:16 pm

That's what I had thought. Just really not sure why people are complaining about a loss of length, if the coaster is still basically the same length, just without the helix. And that was the second most boring A$$ helix ever, after Rattler's triple helix. So the few feet lost with that taken out makes the ride better. I don't get it.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:42 pm

Is this a "first" in a long time, that being a lot of discussion
going on, over a single element change? Just curious of me. :smile:

Usually, and for these past several years to me, it's all been about the total
re-design of a wooden coaster, with one or more inversions involved.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby Vonni » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:21 pm

Why would anyone be upset about the Helix being removed? There was nothing thrilling about it. It crawled through that section of the ride. I cant speak for roughness because I have not ridden it in almost 13 years, but I do remember how lame that section was. I don't think the "loss of length" will be noticed when the ride will be more thrilling. And I wouldn't be surprised if the airtime through the rest of the ride will be better too, as I'm sure there will be more speed after this element than there was with the helix. Unless they throw a trim in there. But I don't expect that.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Jaykethekid » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Vonni wrote:Why would anyone be upset about the Helix being removed? There was nothing thrilling about it. It crawled through that section of the ride. I cant speak for roughness because I have not ridden it in almost 13 years, but I do remember how lame that section was. I don't think the "loss of length" will be noticed when the ride will be more thrilling. And I wouldn't be surprised if the airtime through the rest of the ride will be better too, as I'm sure there will be more speed after this element than there was with the helix. Unless they throw a trim in there. But I don't expect that.

I bet what they will do is use the trim that is currently on the flat turn inside the first 180* turn after the drop (I don’t really know how to describe that location :lmao: ). It hasn’t been used in a few season, but with the extra speed, I see it likely being used as that turn already had insanely forceful lateral gs.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/a119863cb40d603ccb6f817858d7c1d5.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby cal1br3tto » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:25 pm

First thought: this is exciting! Followup thought: this announcement is anticlimactic. Upon review of the posts here: this seems to be a positive change. I rode Timber Wolf in 2010, when it suffered a poor reputation, but I enjoyed it enough that it's still in like my top 30 woodies based on those rides. It sounds like the ride has changed a good deal since then; it'll be interesting to hear about how this improves the experience.
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!