Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

P. 362: Timber Wolf gets an 70° over banked turn in 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:07 pm

That helix has been terrible and boring for a long, LONG time. I can't believe anyone would be complaining that they would be doing anything to improve the ride. Seriously, people are bitching about this??? Get a new hobby...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:23 pm

This is great news. I’ve never ridden Timber Wolf, but based on all the negative things I hear about that helix, this can’t be anything but an improvement.

And even though I am too stupid to spell Steel Vengeance so I'll just write SteVen and pretend I'm being cool and Twisted Timbers look so amazing, I respect that Cedar Fair still likes to refurbish and reprofile their existing wooden coasters like this, GhostRider, Shivering Timbers, etc. Good for them!
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby WOFanatic » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:08 am

I had a conversation with the former maintenance director when they started the reprofiling and he said that Millinieum Flyers are much harder to rebuild during the off-season than standard PTC’s, which is why the park has decided not to install a pair just yet. The problem is that the PTC’s on Timber Wolf are falling apart. On a good day, only only 2/3 of the lapbars would release once arriving in the station, therefore slowing down operations. The ride at the very least needs some major work on it’s trains during the off-season. But I feel Millinieum Flyers would take this ride to the next level.

As for the new element, I like it. I am looking more forward to the little airtime hop than the turn itself, however 70 degrees is enough to add a good amount of thrill to a previously terrible element.
Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. Maverick 3. Monster (Adventureland) 4. Outlaw Run 5. Beast 6. Storm Chaser (Kentucky Kingdom) 7. Incredible Hulk 8. Goliath (Great America) 9. Mystic Timbers 10. Rougarou

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:39 am

I rode Timber Wolf back in 2010, and thought the ride, while a bit rough, had the potential to be great. We'll see if this helps.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:09 am

It's likely that I'll be visiting Worlds of Fun this year for the first time, so I'm all for anything that can improve this coaster. GCI did a fantastic job mostly restoring and slightly modifying GhostRider, so if they're doing something similar to Timber Wolf, it should be tracking much better.

I was looking through old Mitch Hawker polls a few days ago and was shocked to see Timber Wolf was at one point a top 5 wooden coaster in the mid-1990s.
That shows the ride has potential. Looking back, Cedar Fair acquired Worlds of Fun in 1995 and the ride opened in 1989, so it at least was a world-class wooden coaster (by Mitch's poll) for the first 6-7 years.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Boulder Dash, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Stricker's Grove & Camden Park

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Jaykethekid » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:20 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:It's likely that I'll be visiting Worlds of Fun this year for the first time, so I'm all for anything that can improve this coaster. GCI did a fantastic job mostly restoring and slightly modifying GhostRider, so if they're doing something similar to Timber Wolf, it should be tracking much better.

I was looking through old Mitch Hawker polls a few days ago and was shocked to see Timber Wolf was at one point a top 5 wooden coaster in the mid-1990s.
That shows the ride has potential. Looking back, Cedar Fair acquired Worlds of Fun in 1995 and the ride opened in 1989, so it at least was a world-class wooden coaster (by Mitch's poll) for the first 6-7 years.

That was before Cedar Fair came in and screwed it up :lmao:

If I remember right, it used to have buzzbars and no headrests. Just imagine buzzbars and the ejector air it used to have. That’s probably why it was so high ranked, even #1 when it opened. I’m not sure wether the new lap bars, headrests, seatbelts, and the trim brakes were added before of after cedar Fair buying the park or the accident where the girl released her lap bar.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/a119863cb40d603ccb6f817858d7c1d5.jpg[/img][/url]

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Dombot » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:53 am

Well, this was a bit surprising. If the ride really is as bad as people say, I'm a fan. of this announcement. Props to WOF for maintaining their rides the right way!
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Mako 5. Alpengeist

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:20 am

Timber Wolf was really good in the early 90s. I didn't ride it opening season, obviously, but I do remember liking it and Zambezi Zinger when I was probably 8 or 9 (1993 or 1994).

It had gotten really rough, to the point where it was painful. The new track so far is awesome. The ride is very good until the helix, where the old track still exists. You can tell a big difference between the new and old track, like driving on a highway where the newly paved section ends.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby John Peck » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:32 pm

I made my first and only visit to Worlds of Fun back in October and had one ride on Timber Wolf... it was pretty good... UNTIL that damned helix. As I rode it... the trains shuffled and didn't stop until the final breaks, so I am happy to see it removed and replaced by that awesome looking curve... it's going to make that last part of the ride FLY and that should eliminate most of the shuffling... those trains can't take corners worth a crap.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby super7 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:59 pm

They are stating the helix was the finale. Its really the middle of the ride.

It was an upward helix, which loses speed instead of gaining it. A downward helix is usually more exciting.
the
It is however a shame when coasters get their length cut. Six Flags is the champion of shortening coasters when they re track them with their Rocky Mt. conversions. Like everything Six Flags do, they retrack as cheaply as possible. Cedar Fair has been much better at keeping their original length until this.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!