Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

P. 362: Timber Wolf gets an 70° over banked turn in 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

Postby WOF_Fan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:38 pm

Shavethewhales wrote:Meh... While it's going to be a slight improvement on the current ride experience, I wish they would have just shelled out the money to retrack the whole thing at once. These band-aid fixes over a several year span haven't made the ride much more enjoyable. The helix was rough, but it was also interesting and was fun when it was smoother.

This ride has been neutered and modified so many times that it is barely recognizable compared to what it once was. Even with this modification it will probably still be too rough for a lot of kids, but it's too mild and unremarkable for anyone else. I would just tear it down and replace it with a junior woodie from M&V or Gravity Group at this point.

Too rough for kids? With the re-tracking, Timber Wolf has been smooth the last couple years until the Helix.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby SFOG1991 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:46 pm

It's disappointing that they are removing the entire helix and replacing it with a single curve. I hate to see coasters get shortened. Especially when so many new coasters are so short.

Anyways, at least the final rough section will be fixed. That helix was deadly last summer. Fun though.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Jaykethekid » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:51 pm

SFOG1991 wrote:It's disappointing that they are removing the entire helix and replacing it with a single curve. I hate to see coasters get shortened. Especially when so many new coasters are so short.

Anyways, at least the final rough section will be fixed. That helix was deadly last summer. Fun though.

I'm super happy to see the helix get destroyed. It was nothing but rough and it really killed the pacing as it barely made it through the end of it. I'm super excited to see this turn as it seems like it will make this intense ride even more so than it was before. Its going to be interesting to see how the rest of the ride will be effected by this.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/a119863cb40d603ccb6f817858d7c1d5.jpg[/img][/url]

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby SFOG1991 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:42 pm

Jaykethekid wrote:
SFOG1991 wrote:It's disappointing that they are removing the entire helix and replacing it with a single curve. I hate to see coasters get shortened. Especially when so many new coasters are so short.

I'm super happy to see the helix get destroyed. It was nothing but rough and it really killed the pacing as it barely made it through the end of it. I'm super excited to see this turn as it seems like it will make this intense ride even more so than it was before. Its going to be interesting to see how the rest of the ride will be effected by this.

I enjoyed the helix and hate the shortened ride length, but yes I'm sure it will make that final return stretch more exciting!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:36 pm

Shavethewhales wrote: Even with this modification it will probably still be too rough for a lot of kids,

Eh, I've got an eight-year-old who loves this coaster, at least up to the helix. It's not a great helix either; replacement with an overbank sounds great to me.

I agree with you that it should have all been done in a year, but at least it's being done.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Shavethewhales » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:59 pm

When I rode it last June I still thought it was still too rough to be very enjoyable - and I'm usually a fan of old woodies. It's a certain type of jostling that just ruins it. The helix was certainly the worst part, but the whole ride has issues. Maybe I just rode on a particularly bad day though - it's happened before.

I would have really liked to see new trains after a full GCI retracking though. I don't think it will be long before the PTCs tear it up again. Seems like a wasted effort.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby EliHorton » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:07 pm

I think I'm part of the 2% that have always liked Timber Wolf, helix and all. :lmao: I never thought it was that rough. Though I am 16 so I'm still young enough to take a beating and not really feel it. The helix was always my least favorite part of the ride because it was so slow at the top. I was actually super excited when I saw this! And super surprised! I'm excited! The last part of the ride should be a lot quicker now and I'm excited! I'm so glad this classic isn't getting RMC'd, at least anytime soon. Now, if only they could ever run more than one train at once. The last few times that I've gone to Worlds of Fun, they've only run one train on the Timber Wolf, even on a busy day. Not only that, they'd dispatch a train about once every seven minutes.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Jaykethekid » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:14 pm

Yeah new trains would’ve been a good idea. Like you said, these PTCs are just gonna tear up the new work within a few years. You can already feel little bumps and jolts albeit small on the first section of retracking. Although maybe GCI has something up their sleeves to prevent major issues.

EliHorton wrote:I think I'm part of the 2% that have always liked Timber Wolf, helix and all. :lmao: I never thought it was that rough. Though I am 16 so I'm still young enough to take a beating and not really feel it. The helix was always my least favorite part of the ride because it was so slow at the top. I was actually super excited when I saw this! And super surprised! I'm excited! The last part of the ride should be a lot quicker now and I'm excited! I'm so glad this classic isn't getting RMC'd, at least anytime soon. Now, if only they could ever run more than one train at once. The last few times that I've gone to Worlds of Fun, they've only run one train on the Timber Wolf, even on a busy day. Not only that, they'd dispatch a train about once every seven minutes.

I’m the same here. I absolutely adore Timberwolf as it was my favorite ride in the park before the refurbishment simply due to the insane experience it used to give before the neutering. I still remember the last year it ran before the start of the refurb and they had the trims off the whole season. The airtime was unreal. Helix was deathly rough though. This ride has a special place in my heart as it started my coaster obsession, so I’m glad to see it refurbed. Anyways, back to what you said lol. I do hope they fix the restraint issues it’s been having recently and speed up the horrendous dispatches. Getting it to run more than one train would require a change and improvement and operations parkwide and heck, we know that ain’t happening :lmao:
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/a119863cb40d603ccb6f817858d7c1d5.jpg[/img][/url]

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby CaptainUnknown » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:28 pm

Can a park just put Millennium Flyers on a coaster that has been using PTC stock? I get the feeling that would require more retracking. In 2018, the park is getting:
-A new flat ride
-Winterfest
-Overhaul of a major coaster which includes the complete teardown, re-engineering and rebuilding of an element
Which is more than anyone thought the park would get. But yes, I'd eventually like to see Millennium Flyers on the ride.
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 21
Credits: 101 (20 wood/81 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby ZeroGravity55 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:44 pm

CaptainUnknown wrote:Can a park just put Millennium Flyers on a coaster that has been using PTC stock? I get the feeling that would require more retracking.

Straight from GCI's website:

"Our Millennium Flyer trains may be available for existing wooden roller coasters that meet Great Coasters' strict standards for track and structure condition, as well as acceptable dynamic profiles. We are available to assess these conditions and help you with any necessary improvements that may be required in order to make your coaster fly."

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!