TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

^ Hmm...there is no reason why any sane, rational, hygienic person would regret skipping a Boomerang, but there is one reason a coaster enthusiast would: It's being replaced and you missed your chance for a...*gasp* credit. With that and the dinosaurs gone, there's a lot of real estate for a coaster in Zambezi Zinger's old spot.

^ Hmm...there is no reason why any sane, rational, hygienic person would regret skipping a Boomerang, but there is one reason a coaster enthusiast would: It's being replaced and you missed your chance for a...*gasp* credit. With that and the dinosaurs gone, there's a lot of real estate for a coaster in Zambezi Zinger's old spot.

Hey, man! Boomerang can be fun on occasion!

Looks like a big cleanup job is on WOFs hands now. Few haunt decorations were destroyed and lots of tree limbs down. Quite a mess. Hopefully they can get things cleaned up soon! Here are some photos that were posted in the comment section of WOFs most recent Facebook post.

79EBC7F4-BBC6-4F02-9E69-D3ACEAF4D9F1.jpeg.3cca31f2b0bda08e41b752f04c06026a.jpegD4C04932-E681-4AFC-8ECF-8CBB0FBDC677.thumb.jpeg.72de502e237fa4a1d92595d6d2aa8c3c.jpegE3346B6A-63F0-451D-95CD-9CA17D34763E.thumb.jpeg.9e6abd9b444fdc1786c9f2b1ec8a1926.jpeg

I was there Friday and Saturday. I was on the carousel when the storm came up and remained huddled underneath it for the duration... I have never been so scared. Massive winds and branches coming down all around me. Fortunately, my Geauga Lake carousel knew I was there and she protected me. (I grew up at geauga)

I will post some pictures later. We left around 6pm so I don't know if the park closed for the night at that point... the parking lot was a standstill, so that took almost another hour to get out of. I drove by the hotel where I stayed the previous night (Fairfield Inn) and the massive 70' sign was down.

And yes, I rode the boomerang. They seemed to close some of the high rides earlier in the day because of wasps.

I was also at the park on saturday during the storm. We took cover in the antique car queue since it wasn't crowded, had nice roof to keep us dry (that didn't happen, thanks crazy wind), and was uphill. The heavy rain and high winds cause leaves to fall which which clogged most of the drains on the midway causing most of the pathways to be at least ankle deep with water. The most interesting part of the night was finding out that the guest services building flooded meaning that they were not able to work with guests who had fright lane passes or those who just arrived for the night. All the employees were very nice and informed people that they just need to call guest services during the week and they will make it right. We ended up calling guest services since we had fright lane for Saturday and they said they could be used and any of the remaining days and offered us free admission to come back this year. So it looks like we will be making another trip to Kansas City and try haunt for a second time.

I am looking at bringing my 3 year old for the day time festivities, does anyone know if there is a place in kansas city that would have discount tickets for him?

Resized952017101495180917.thumb.jpg.89c084ab8682d98710192243fc624041.jpg

Large tree down

Resized952017101495181036.thumb.jpg.118257382927731938b548b05db8f02b.jpg

Canopy down!

Resized952017101495181123.thumb.jpg.d04fdfd172cfaffc44e5ac938ab8d2ac.jpg

More tree limbs down

Resized952017101495181324.thumb.jpg.5eba082abdaf1399a6e895a23dec78ba.jpg

Fallen tree on drink stand

Resized952017101495181255.thumb.jpg.69e8f07c2e7089f4f16a09b56694cbcc.jpg

Minor damage to log ride from fallen tree

Welp. WoF just announced Finnish Fling will be closing at the end of this month. I'm really kicking myself for giving up on trying to plan a WoF visit this year now (I haven't been on it yet before - I didn't know about it on my last visit in 2009.)

2018 probably will be the most exciting year of the century to date but the arrival of 2018 unfortunately has come at the cost of the closure of several good rides in 2017.

I enjoyed my few rides on it back in 2014 (but not when I hit up Bamboozler, Finnish Fling, and Zulu in a row). I'm upset that another Rotor is gone. But at least we know now where Nordic Chaser is going.

The park is also auctioning off the last rides for charity.

wof.thumb.jpg.9afdf155e0ac581b69a1117beafa3152.jpg

There is also this t-shirt

Photo taken from WOF social media

Sad to see a rare classic leave, especially for such a minor ride as Nordic Chaser. Though, it wasn’t my cup of tea, not a lot of people enjoy that mad amount of spinning and I assume maintenance costs for it were higher than they would’ve liked for a low popularity ride. I do like how they have special merchandise for it though!

I purchased a last ride on Finnish Fling for $100. Pretty high for a flat ride but it doesn’t sting too much after selling the admission part.

Really sad to see this classic go, especially considering how rare the ride is now. Hopefully Nordic Chaser exceeds expectations.

Well, that's disappointing! Rotors were already in short supply as it was.

Well dang! I'm actually pretty bummed about the loss of yet another Rotor... Where are there still some of these great, classic flats, once this one is gone?

Dangit! At least I rode it in 2015. I really enjoyed Finnish Fling. I really hope they decide to sell it instead of scrapping it (even though I doubt that will happen).

It’s being sold back to Chance to put in their museum.

Chance has a museum? I live in the same city as them and there is no mention of any museum. All they have is a small office building and the manufacturing building. Did you mean that one museum in Texas, I’m drawing a blank on the name, but it’s located on or near Larson’s facilities?

So it seems the only parks left with Chance Rotors are Frontier City and Sylvan Beach. Canobie Lake has a Rotor as well, but theirs was made by SDC (only one?). I know there are several overseas from a variety of manufacturers, including the historic Pluschies Rotor at Oktoberfest, which I believe is the only remaining Rotor with a multi-level viewing gallery.

I guess paying to watch riders "stick to the wall like flies" isn't quite as exciting as it was back in the 50's!