Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 1717 - Firehawk to be removed after the 2018 season
Users viewing this topic: KarlaKoaster and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby silvercrew1 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:36 pm

Thanks for that pic! The webcam isn't working for me. Was this morning but of course not when they install the last piece.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:04 pm

This just in from Kings Island:

KINGS ISLAND, Ohio – Workmen finished installing track on the new Diamondback roller coaster at Kings Island on Monday. Track piece number 129 was the final piece of track installed on the 5,282 foot-long $22 million steel coaster.

Diamondback stands 230 feet at its highest point with a first drop of 215 feet at a 74-degree angle. The ride features 10 vertical drops overall, including drops of 193, 131, 129, 110 and 106 feet; two helixes and a splashdown ending. Riders will travel at speeds in excess of 80 miles per hour.

Designed by Bolliger and Mabillard of Monthey, Switzerland, Diamondback is the tallest, fastest and meanest roller coaster to ever strike Kings Island.

Diamondback opens to the public April 18.
Diamondback012609056.jpg

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby carolinacaniac » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:13 pm

This coaster really is pretty awesome looking! Especially from the top of the lifthill. I am still jelous of my co-worker who is doing the KI/CP combo visit.

-Gary T.
"Imagine the Crystal Beach Cyclone with a Gerstlauer train!"

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby BuschSchoe » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:14 pm

Yay! Thats great news. :airtime:

I don't know the difference between waist and waste.

Postby CPmaverick » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:27 pm

April 18th can't come fast enough :b

Come one. Come all. Ride the roller coaster in my pants.

Postby SFOGdude25 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:29 pm

So nice to see that last piece of track put in place after sitting there for the past several weeks.
Bring on the trains!

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby BuschSchoe » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:37 pm

Its going to be interesting to see when testing will begin... especially since there is a splashdown.
Now I know that most parks usually do not test their coasters for the first time in the snow... but Diamondback is supposed to open in April, so I'm guessing that there will be at least some snow during testing.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby silvercrew1 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:45 pm

BuschSchoe wrote:Its going to be interesting to see when testing will begin... especially since there is a splashdown.
Now I know that most parks usually do not test their coasters for the first time in the snow... but Diamondback is supposed to open in April, so I'm guessing that there will be at least some snow during testing.

Yeah you bring up a good point with the splash down. We are supposed to have a storm linger for the next couple of days with some snow. But after that no one can tell you the weather with Ohio's unpredictable, ever changing forecast.

Thought "Laser Snake Horse" was real.

Postby Speeddeamon128 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:45 pm

Yay Diamondback completed =) Now I have to try & ride it in July if my parents let me drive from South NJ to KI. I've got some convincing to do.
2010 Coaster Laps: 342
-Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II Tour 2008, East Coast Tour 2008, West Coast Tour 2009

Neil Peart makes me erect

Postby DiSab » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:15 pm

One step closer to testing and opening day. Can't wait to see this thing start running. =)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!