Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 1717 - Firehawk to be removed after the 2018 season
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby bgtlover » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:48 pm

Vortex can rot in hell...lol
Seriously though, it was my least liked coaster in the park. It's crazy I enjoyed all the Vekoma's more than that aging Arrow creation. I appreciate the history and look of it, as it's very picturesque. There are a lot of pretty coasters that are just horrible in regards to rider experience...Vortex is at the top of that list for me.
Coaster Count: 125
Top 12:
1-Steel Vengeance...2-Fury 325...3-Maverick...4-Millennium Force...5-Storm Chaser...6-Mako...
7-Diamondback...8-Kraken...9-Montu...10-Banshee...11-Afterburn...12-Cheetah Hunt

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby joelwee » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:39 pm

Vortex wasn't anything mind-blowing, but I didn't think it was that bad in terms of roughness. Same with Invertigo.
Seat, don't fail me now!
2018 Trip Reports: Castles 'N' Coasters; Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:48 pm

Invertigo to Dorney
"Next, we are going to solicit the children of strangers so that we can go on a ride designed for children. This is so I can post online and impress other people who are very good at procuring unfamiliar children in order to go on rides designed for children, and thus have a higher arbitrary number than me."

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby DorneyKid14 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:03 pm

Ed Farmer wrote:Invertigo to Dorney

not happening.
Favorite Steel: GateKeeper
Favorite Wood: Outlaw Run
Home Park: DPWWK
Steel: 76 Wood: 24
Total: 100 Parks: 16

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby joelwee » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:07 pm

DorneyKid14 wrote:
Ed Farmer wrote:Invertigo to Dorney

not happening.

Why not? They can put it up in Stinger's spot during the off-season, and when opening day rolls around next year, they'll be like, "Psych!!"
Seat, don't fail me now!
2018 Trip Reports: Castles 'N' Coasters; Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby Intamin_coyote » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:08 pm

Even though Vortex's popularity has been declining gradually over the years, it still give more rides than people think (it's a people eater - so yes there will be many times when it's a straight walk-on, but lines don't necessarily indicate ridership!)

As of 2014, it still got over 1m riders.

Granted, it's probably well below that by now, but I could imagine its still in the 750k range.

As far as I know, Arrow loopers are among the most inexpensive coasters to operate (as is most sit-down coasters with a traditional chain lift.)

Whatever Vortex's ridership is now, I still don't think the yearly total operating cost / # of riders is high enough to justify its removal.
RCCA - What in the HELL were you thinking?!

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby SFOG1991 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:22 pm

Intamin_coyote wrote:Even though Vortex's popularity has been declining gradually over the years, it still give more rides than people think (it's a people eater - so yes there will be many times when it's a straight walk-on, but lines don't necessarily indicate ridership!)

As of 2014, it still got over 1m riders.

Granted, it's probably well below that by now, but I could imagine its still in the 750k range.

As far as I know, Arrow loopers are among the most inexpensive coasters to operate (as is most sit-down coasters with a traditional chain lift.)

Whatever Vortex's ridership is now, I still don't think the yearly total operating cost / # of riders is high enough to justify its removal.

Where does that ridership info come from? I love that.

Anyway, I generally agree with you but I also know most of the Arrow mega-loopers have been removed in recent years so I wonder if they just have a shelf life due to their design. I mean honestly couldn’t it come down to how thick the tubular steel track is or something as simple as that? At a certain point a steel coaster requires retracking or removal and obviously due to cost most just get removed. I wish they could just replace track easily like a wooden coaster.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:43 am

I don't think it's for Invertigo. At least that ride is much more reliable than Stinger ever was. Besides, in order to make way for a "gate coaster" you have to do something with Bat and the old Timber Wolf site.

I have a feeling it could be Vortex and it would make sense if it is closing in 2018 to make way for what's coming in 2020. Kings Island has needed to focus on livening up that back corner of Coney Mall. Losing Vortex would be sad but given my last rides on it back in July I think it's time to retire it.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:49 am

Thanks for the ridership table, really helps put things in perspective.

I like Vortex and Invertigo just fine. Neither is getting me to go to the park, but I ride both while I'm there and enjoy them. If they were to remove either one, I wouldn't shed a tear, especially if they get something as good as their last 3 coasters.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:53 am

Interesting...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!