Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: kenban and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby Geauga Dog » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:50 pm

Before another coaster is built I'd like to see the Racer get a full refurb first, especially after my one ride on the red train a few weeks ago. Now that we're already past the halfway point of the season they have a little over three years before the park's big 50th anniversary and bringing Racer back to its original glory (including bringing back the red, white, and blue paint scheme the ride opened with) would be awesome.

One other note - Kings Island NEEDS more flat rides outside of Planet Snoopy. Carowinds and Canada's Wonderland should not be the only parks to get decent flat ride packages.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:49 pm

LiftThrill wrote:I haven't been on Mystic Timbers, but my thing with KI when I went was that all of their good major coasters are kinda lacking in intensity.

Wait... What?

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby KristenLeigh » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:00 pm

Will anybody be at Kings Island on Wednesday or next Sunday? Hopefully it doesn't rain again. We've only been able to go 3 times this year so far and it's kind of disappointing that every time I have a day off it tends to rain/storm. I'm needing some more rides in and a couple more waterpark visits before the season is over.
I've stated before that I think it would be nice to have some sort of water coaster in the waterpark even though it wouldn't compare to Wildebeest and Mammoth at HW. The dry park needs a tilt a whirl at some point. Those are my favorite flat rides at a theme park.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/984681da7168be3a7e78a7aa6ad1aac2.jpg[/img][/url]

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby WOFanatic » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:48 pm

LiftThrill wrote:I haven't been on Mystic Timbers, but my thing with KI when I went was that all of their good major coasters are kinda lacking in intensity. Diamondback and Banshee are more of chill rides, and Beast is about going really f*cking fast through straight or slightly banked track through the woods.

I completely agree. The park’s collection of coasters is solid, however nothing at that park really blew me away aside from Beast and Mystic Timbers. The rest of their rides are kinda “bleh” to me.
Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. Maverick 3. Monster (Adventureland) 4. Outlaw Run 5. Beast 6. Storm Chaser (Kentucky Kingdom) 7. Incredible Hulk 8. Goliath (Great America) 9. Mystic Timbers 10. Rougarou

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:12 pm

I wouldn't say bleh.

KI has awesome coasters, but their top 3 (again, I think Timbers probably counters this to some extent) are not intense rides at all. The most "intense" coaster at KI is probably Flight of Fear.

I'm using the dumb nerdy enthusiast definition of intensity and not just "it's tall and fast" for this because honestly, KI's lineup is pretty great and would be fine without ANY new coasters. But what I'd personally look for in a new coaster is fast pace and strong forces because that's something they're kind of lacking in.

Just as a point of reference (that's hard to compare ANYTHING to, but whatever) CP has Raptor, TTD, SV, and Maverick in the high intensity department and MF, Rougarou, Valravn, and GateKeeper in the more chill department. At a smaller scale, SDC has an insanely balanced lineup in that regard and they have half the coasters that KI does.
1. Millennium Force | 2. New Texas Giant | 3. Outlaw Run | 4. Maverick | 5. Iron Rattler | 6. The Voyage | 7. Goliath (SFGAm) | 8. Time Traveler | 9. Raging Bull | 10. Diamondback

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby DavidB » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:22 pm

I wasnt overly thrilled by Diamondback, but Banshee was plenty intense. I thought the speed and positive Gs it carried though the bottom of the elements was impressive.

Invertigo, FoF, Diamondback, Vortex, and Firehawk provide a second tier of intensity.

It doesn't have a Skyrush or SV, but I find KI to have a well rounded, quality collection top to bottom that isn't lacking for intensity. Just my opinion.

Postby coasterbill » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:06 pm

Just a friendly reminder that Bat exists, it’s intense and it’s great.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby DavidB » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:28 pm

Almost included Bat on my list and should have...its been a long time since I've been on it, as I didn't get it last time I went. Definitely remember it being worthy of mentioning in this discussion though.

Postby prozach626 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:47 pm

It's all subjective, but I think the majority of the non coaster enthusiasts consider Diamondback, Banshee, and Mystic Timbers pretty intense. I'd hate to be the type of enthusiast that needs more than that to consider a ride fun, thrilling, and intense. I'm not quite sure when 230 feet at 80 mph became obsolete, but I'm glad I haven't moved on. Then again, I may focus too much on enjoyment and appreciation rather than comparison. In a world where Millennium Force is lame I guess King's Island sucks.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:09 am

^ I'm with you there. Diamondback is still one of the tallest and fastest in the world. I could look up which spot it's in, but I don't care and neither do you. Point is it's plenty exciting. A lot of the reason why I like hypers and gigas is that they do the stuff I expect from a coaster: They go up and down real fast. It's kind of fun to ride the coasters that do bizarre things, but there's a reason most coasters still just go up and down real fast. People love that.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!