TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

My 2 c. about your comments:

Diamondback is not rough at all. If slight jiggling is considered rough, then everything at KI and basically everywhere is "rough." Banshee back seat is a lot worse.

Well, it wasn't as smooth as before. I'll probably be back this Sunday so I'll see how it's running then, but it wasn't just me. On my first ride in the very back while going down the first drop there was almost an Arrow-like vibration and my brother and I looked at each other as to say; are we on Diamondback or Magnum...

I'm not saying it's a rough ride, but it was certainly less smooth at certain points in certain seats.

Excited to finally get to this park.

I feel kinda bad I've blown it off for years, mostly for Cedar Point, but with DB, Banshee and Timbers now that's a nice lineup.

I will be there May 31 a Thursday. What can be expected for a weekday that time of year in terms of crowds, the need for a fast pass, etc etc

Im also trying to temper my expectations for Beast. A legend I know and a solid number of enthusiasts seem to like it, and while Im all for sense of speed and racing through the forest...just looks boring. Half the time is spent on lifts, all the long straight parts and trims....we shall see I guess.

Excited to finally get to this park.

I feel kinda bad I've blown it off for years, mostly for Cedar Point, but with DB, Banshee and Timbers now that's a nice lineup.

I will be there May 31 a Thursday. What can be expected for a weekday that time of year in terms of crowds, the need for a fast pass, etc etc

Im also trying to temper my expectations for Beast. A legend I know and a solid number of enthusiasts seem to like it, and while Im all for sense of speed and racing through the forest...just looks boring. Half the time is spent on lifts, all the long straight parts and trims....we shall see I guess.

I think you will appreciate it for what it is.

After dark you can't even see the track. It gets really, really dark in those woods. Kings Island is in a suburb, but right on the edge of the urbanized area, maybe a mile or two from where it dissolves into farmland. Once you're out there, you just feel the wind and can't tell which way is what. The sensory deprivation focuses your attention in a way that is completely relaxing. There's nothing else like it. Don't expect to compare it to any other coaster. There can be only one Beast.

I still enjoy Beast in the daytime. It's cool flying through the woods and tunnels. I agree with others that it provides better rides at night, but I don't think it's useless during the daytime. It's non-typical, which is fun.

I enjoy being on a traditional old school wooden roller coaster that can fly through the tracks but not beat you up with violent jack hammering and turns that provoke uncomfortable high lateral G's. I look at Beast as an out of control trip through the wilderness.

^In addition, the one thing that pops into my head on the night rides is when the train gets closer to the river, you can immediately feel a temperature drop that remains with your body until the final brake run/shed where the temps creep back up. It's very odd and hard to explain but to me, it just adds to the immersive experience. There is NOTHING like the Beast at night. #LongLiveTheBeast

^In addition, the one thing that pops into my head on the night rides is when the train gets closer to the river, you can immediately feel a temperature drop that remains with your body until the final brake run/shed where the temps creep back up. It's very odd and hard to explain but to me, it just adds to the immersive experience. There is NOTHING like the Beast at night. #LongLiveTheBeast

I've experienced something like this on Diamondback. As the train would ascent the large airtime hills, it would gradually get warmer. However, as the train made it's descent back into the troughs, the air would gradually cool (I'm talking 10-15 degrees). It was an odd thing to experience, once the train hit the final brake run I asked around and everyone who I asked replied they had felt the abrupt temperature changes. Really odd.

I still enjoy Beast in the daytime. It's cool flying through the woods and tunnels. I agree with others that it provides better rides at night, but I don't think it's useless during the daytime. It's non-typical, which is fun.

This is exactly how I feel.

This is exactly how I feel.

I wouldn't say it's "useless" during the daytime, but it's definitely nowhere near as good as it is at night in my opinion! And if I'm going around, making sure to ride everything, and have to plan my day, I'll definitely plan for that to be a night ride, as opposed to a day ride. I'm just not the biggest "Beast" fan though, truth be told... Is it unique? Sure. Is it fun? I mean, it's a roller coaster, so yeah, generally speaking! lol But there are many wooden coasters I prefer to it, and I think it gets a bit overhyped due to its night rides.

When is your trip to KI sir?

Emily and I usually do a trip, but I'm not sure we'll be making it out this year unless it's for the haunt. Aside from that, three of my friends who are really casual about roller coasters and I are going to take a trip on one of the 10a-12a days. We took advantage of that admission, parking, and FL+ pass sale that was going on a couple months ago. The price was insanely cheap.

As far as the temperature changes on Beast and Diamonback go, they're definitely there on warm nights. You can really feel them on Diamondback.

That's really interesting about the temperature changes. I hadn't noticed, but when I went, it was already cool and rainy. Still hopefully going to make it out this year, aiming for August once I'm out of training for my new job.

I enjoy being on a traditional old school wooden roller coaster that can fly through the tracks but not beat you up with violent jack hammering and turns that provoke uncomfortable high lateral G's. I look at Beast as an out of control trip through the wilderness.

I love everything about this description, Zach.

Speaking of rough, how's Racer feeling? Went to the park quite a bit last year, and all year there was this one bit (on each side) right before the turnaround that was absolutely agonizing. Like, noticeably shaking violently and rattling that rivaled Mean Streak on its worst day bad. No matter the load, seat, or day, it was always painful.

That's really interesting about the temperature changes. I hadn't noticed, but when I went, it was already cool and rainy. Still hopefully going to make it out this year, aiming for August once I'm out of training for my new job.

Uhg... I'm going to step outside myself and get really corny here. In addition to the temperature changes on Diamondback, you can also see the urban surroundings on the lift and crest of every large hill. One thing that really stuck out on my last warm visit was watching the urban skyline disappear over the tree filled terrain while feeling the temperature change diving into the valleys. I've yet to ride Nitro or Behemoth, but from a B&M hyper standpoint, Diamondback is the full package day or night. The drop over the midway, the jog out away from the park, and the splashdown complete the visuals.

I'm awful at ranking coasters but Diamondback is one of my favorite B&M hypers for sure. It's right up there with Apollo's Chariot and (lol) Raging Bull for me and if you asked me my favorite 3 different times I might give you 3 different answers.

I'm awful at ranking coasters but Diamondback is one of my favorite B&M hypers for sure. It's right up there with Apollo's Chariot and (lol) Raging Bull for me and if you asked me my favorite 3 different times I might give you 3 different answers.

I'm sending this quote to your mother.

Just a quick rundown on my visit to KI Sunday.

Weather good, tad cool, but not bad. Crowds minimal. I'm a platinum pass holder so got some early ride time on Mystic Timber before park opened. It was running great.

Had lunch at the new Coney BBQ. Had the rotisserie chicken, mac & cheese and cole slaw. Good food, but it"s not cheap, but what food place in an amusement park is?

Rant time. What is up with The Beast? If they add any more trim to the thing it will soon be an angel and not a beast. I rode it when it first opened in 1979, yes I'm old, and it was a beast then. An out of control beast. Yes I know it's getting old and there is a lot of wear and tear on it, but do we really need all the trims? It used to be one of my favorite wooden coasters, but it slowly sliding down the list. Any more when I visit the park, it's on my maybe list to ride. Night rides for sure.

And while i'm ranting, I'm not sold on renaming Top Gun/Flight Deck to The Bat. I rode the original Bat. This is not The Bat. I know they are paying homage to the original, but it will never be The Bat to me,

My count for only being there a few hours.

2-Mystic Timbers

2-Diamondback

1-Banshee

1-Top Gun/Flight Deck/The Bat

1-The Beast

1-Train

1-Boo Blasters

1-Eiffel Tower

I was watching old videos of The Beast from the early years recently thinking it absolutely hauled through the course due to comments similar to the one above and it seemed as if the train barely made it to both the second lift and the station. I think you only notice the trims more because it carries a faster pace now and hits the harder.

I could be way off but it doesn't feel different to me from riding in the 90's until now and the original videos don't show crazy speed. What I do know is my ride on preview night it was probably the smoothest ride I had in a long time and it felt like we were going faster than usual. That could be due to first ride of the season though.