TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I went to the park on Saturday and up until about 3 the park was really quiet. Got on most of the coasters at least twice after getting in the park around 11 and slowing down when lines started to get long around 4. Diamondback still kicks absolute a$$ in the front, same with Banshee. But obviously the main thing to note is Mystic Timbers.

Got two rides on this awesome coaster, one in the front and one towards the back. Really like what theming there was to the ride and overall thought the Rivertown looks really good except for the section around Tomb Raider. That box just ruins the area and that area in general doesn't feel right. Next thing I noticed was how fast the line moved, ride ops were great and dispatches were fast. Getting on the ride, the trains seemed different from the ones on American Thunder and Thunderhead where they have cushioned seats where I can describe the material on MT's as similar to a B&M hypers or most modern steel coaster padding.

The drop is absolutely awesome, and is just a ton of fun. The airtime coming off the short turn over the lift was a ton of fun followed by the awesome set of hills and turns before the turn around. I can't wait till the trees grow in more and the track ends up being more covered. The returning air is good but the ride seems to be over so quickly after the turnaround. Heading into the shed had some good audio and theming and for a transfer and storage track it was pretty good. I got Maneater my first time and got both the tree and bat endings.

My overall opinions of the ride are super solid. I think it's not only a great family coaster but one of the best GCIs, probably my second favorite non-RMC wood coaster behind the Voyage. The airtime and smoothness are unparalleled by anything by Outlaw Run and Goliath and I found it a quite bit more fun and exciting than Thunderhead. Great addition to my home park and will be enjoying it again this Sunday and many other times this year.

Only thing I really noticed after not being at Kings Island for close to a year was the severe lack of ejector airtime, but that ultimately is super small and me being an entitled "enthusiast" I do hope though that whatever coaster KI adds next it was have some ridiculous ejector but overall very happy with the current shape of the park.

Only thing I really noticed after not being at Kings Island for close to a year was the severe lack of ejector airtime, but that ultimately is super small and me being an entitled "enthusiast" I do hope though that whatever coaster KI adds next it was have some ridiculous ejector but overall very happy with the current shape of the park.

While it still doesn't qualify as "ejector", if you're looking for airtime at Kings Island and you're riding Diamondback in the front and not the back then you're doing it wrong.

While it still doesn't qualify as "ejector", if you're looking for airtime at Kings Island and you're riding Diamondback in the front and not the back then you're doing it wrong.

I know, I ride backseat nearly every time I go as well as front. The airtime is great floater the entire first half but front has better airtime after the MCBR.

God I love Diamondback.

Both Mystic Timbers and Diamondback are great airtime filled coasters. Mystic Timbers surprised me with how many times it could sustain its airtime. Diamondback, alone, is the coaster incarnation of pure bliss (and nobody can tell me otherwise). Ejector airtime is always fun, but you really can't go wrong with sustained floater plus comfortable seats.

Diamondback surprised me, especially that first drop. I'm so used to Nitro that when I visited I didn't think it'd be so different, but the first drop kept taking me by surprise.

Now if only they got rid of those stupid trim brakes...

If everyone's still okay with "shed spoilers," I'll take a wild guess below...

Were they referring to the glowing eyes that appear "magically" the moment the brakes release the train? Similar to the Son of Beast logo?

Diamondback surprised me, especially that first drop. I'm so used to Nitro that when I visited I didn't think it'd be so different, but the first drop kept taking me by surprise.

Now if only they got rid of those stupid trim brakes...

And the pointless seat-belts.

I’m planning a trip to KI on May 15 and 16. Unfortunately, my body started telling me last year that it doesn’t like as big a dose of coasters as it used to. I’m trying to figure out whether it’s the G forces or the intensity that is causing the problem. Here was my reaction to some rides last year:

Anaconda (KD): No problem

Avalanche (KD): Last part way too intense

Back Lot Stunt Coaster: A couple of parts were bordering on too intense.

Batman: Way too intense

Dominator (KD): Way too intense at the end of the day

Fahrenheit: No problem early in the morning

Great Bear: Way too intense at the end of the day

Mr. Freeze: Way too intense early in the morning.

Riddler's Revenge (SFOT): Early in the morning: 1st ride OK, 2nd ride was not fun

Storm Runner: 2 rides late in the day were OK.

Thunderbird (Holiday World): No problem

Wooden coasters: No problem

Would anyone venture an opinion whether intensity or G forces are causing me a problem? Once I know, I’m trying to evaluate whether Diamondback and Banshee at KI will work for me. Thanks.

^^You shouldn't have any issues with Diamondback. Banshee's another story; if you decide to ride it, I'd highly recommend going for the front row, in one of the center seats. I would not recommend Firehawk, as that ride might just do you in for the day.

For me Mystic Timbers feels like the most intense coaster Kings Island has. I love it almost feels like a small version of the back half of Voyage. The only other coasters I consider to feel like its intense or fulling a lot of forces is Banshee mainly when you enter the bottom of the massive bat wing. Invertigo may give you fits also but i never ride that piece of poo.

So i will be at the park on Sunday. How has early entry been for Mystic Timbers. Think i will be getting to the park around 9 so at 930 i can get to the ride quick.

From what I've seen on Friday and Saturdays, ERT hasn't been that bad. Maybe a 5-10 minute wait if i had to guess. You may be in luck on Sunday though as its a possibility for it to rain!

Any advice on a Friday visit in early June (the 9th)? Will the park be really busy? Will Fast Lane be a necessity? It will be my first visit to KI, and likely only visit for at least 3 years or so. I should be able to make it right around opening. Is there a routine/order I should follow for the rides? What's the best food?

So what is the SOB reference on Mystic Timbers I've heard a few people mention? I must have missed it on my 10+ rides.

It appears that nobody is going to answer this for us

I figured it out, I think.

There are red eyes on the right side as you are listening to the music.

Also, the things that play on the screens are nods to former rides. (Not sure if anyone has mentioned that fact)

I’m planning a trip to KI on May 15 and 16. Unfortunately, my body started telling me last year that it doesn’t like as big a dose of coasters as it used to. I’m trying to figure out whether it’s the G forces or the intensity that is causing the problem.

Would anyone venture an opinion whether intensity or G forces are causing me a problem? Once I know, I’m trying to evaluate whether Diamondback and Banshee at KI will work for me. Thanks.

Hey there.

I am a 4th year returning Banshee crew member. My advice is this:

Ride in the first 4 rows of the train. It will not be as intense. The further back you ride, the more intense it will be. Of the 15 B&M inverted coasters I have ridden, our drop in the back is the most intense. Also, you will want to catch Banshee on a HOT day. It tends to run better and smoother on hotter days. When it is cold out, it will be a tad rough.

My advice for Diamondback is to ride it first in car 5. That would be rows 9 and 10. It is smack middle of the train, and provides nice smooth floater air, and is not as intense as front ofr back. HOWEVER, row 16 is the place to sit if you want airtime on every drop.

Was at KI for the first time last Saturday. I was going to post last weekend but the trip really took a lot out of me and Sunday ended up with me being dead on the couch for the most part. I won't go into the details of the stupidity on my part that preceded arriving at about 4PM, but we did get there.

We rode (in rough order):

[*]Back Lot Stunt Coaster - That was a good fun warm-up. I always need a warm-up ride that is not full of airtime or inversions to get me in the mood.

[*]Mystic Timbers - I honestly didn't realise it was new until we got in the line (I'm not from around here). Good thing we got in the line when we did because it kept building after us. Great ride. My wife loves a good woody

[*]Flight of Fear - I didn't know what to expect but I really enjoyed it. Could have been a bit darker inside with more Space Mountain type effects but maybe that wouldn't suit it.

[*]Firehawk - It was OK. Something about the restraints that didn't sit well with me. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get back on it, but if I was near it and it had a short queue I would consider it.

[*]Banshee - We weren't going to bother because we had ridden Silver Bullet at KBF about 5 or 6 times when we were there a couple of years ago and Raptor at CP a couple of times last year. Figured it was just another install of the same coaster but I was mistaken. The best of the three I have ridden.

[*]The Racer - I wasn't expecting much but it was generally fun. I'd go on it again especially when it has no queue like we had.

[*]Adventure Express - I didn't even know it existed because it didn't show up on the app, but my daughter was looking at the printed map and pointed it out. Was well and truly dark by this time so not quite sure what to make of it. Seemed like a fun little ride.

[*]The Beast - What we mostly came for. People were suggesting we might need chiropractors after but I didn't think it was that back (Mean Streak last year and Ghost Rider a couple of years ago were far worse IMHO). Most disappointing part was we were stuck in line for well over an hour after a couple of breakdowns and we thought we might be able to manage one more ride on Mystic Timbers after it. We did get back seat though...not sure if it's a good or bad thing.

We had been in line for Diamondback at one stage but there was a breakdown pretty early on from when we got in the queue so we gave up. Never got back to it and from reading this thread I guess we missed out on something decent. Not to worry...I am sure we will be back as we have Platinum passes and it's not a huge drive from Detroit. Given that we did not leave the park until 11PM the drive home was tough. Lesson learned - it was too much travel for one day (when the stupidity of the start of the trip is taken into account).

Is there anything you suggest I really missed out on apart from Diamondback that I should have in the plan for the next time?

CG