Rail Blazer At Six Flags St. Louis

Mystery coaster of Eureka, MO.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Captain Coaster Nerd!!

Rail Blazer At Six Flags St. Louis

Postby JamesMC » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:58 pm

I recently visited Six Flags St. Louis and rode River King Mine Train. The ride (for those of you that haven't been there) was half of a set of (semi-)racing mine trains.

When I first visited the park in the early eighties in my early teens, the side that is now open used to be closed the majority of the time, while the other side (which has since been relocated to another park and called Big Bad John-and was the far better ride) used to be the default running part of the ride.

In 1983-84 (I forget) the side that is now currently open was re-imagained as a stand up coaster with new trains called Rail Blazer. The ride did not run well (guests per hour) and had a tragic accident where a rider was (apparently) thrown from her restraints, fell a couple stories and died from head trauma, all within the first 8 weeks of it's debut.

The ride was shut down immediately, and only opened again (with the former mine train set-up) because the other side of the ride was relocated/sold to make room for Ninja.

My question/challenge is this- even though it had a brief run at the park, why can't I find ANY pictures of Rail Blazer anywhere? (Other than the picture from that year's brochure-which I actually have that park-brochure for myself in a shoebox somewhere).

I've seen old You-Tube footage of the accident report, and I've see one or two pictures of riderless trains from that era- but surely someone, somewhere has photos or possibly even videos of this ride in action.

I know the ride had a troubled and brief history, but for the curiousity aspect and/or nostalgia- does anyone have any more real info/pics about the ride when it still existed?

Thanks for any info/pics/videos in advance.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby MisterP » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:06 am

I'm from St. Louis and remember that time very well.....my guess is that Rail Blazer existed for such a short time that no one on this particular site was there to:

A. take pictures of the ride during the short time that it ran

and

B. post them on this particular (or any other) theme park site 25 years later

not a big mystery, really.....

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby jrkstl » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:19 am

Slight correction, JamesMC - Railblazer did in fact reopen after the tragedy, but it only remained Railblazer for the debut year, which was 1984.

On my one visit that year, I rode it several times. Due to the accident, operation was down to a single train, and each standing position saw a lockable waist belt that could only be opened by a special key. There was approximately 10 (no joke) ride ops on the platform, and I saw multiple ops taking notes on a clipboard. Due to the slow loading, and probably due to the unpleasant ride experience, the park made the wise decision to change it back to the Mine Train. The "Big Bad John" side remained in operation through 1987 and was SBNO through the next season. The park placed the one-season-only Condor within a portion of the coaster, and during the season that side saw the drop after the second lift cut off in half.

Ride experience on Railblazer? Think of what it would be like to stand in a fiberglass shower stall, and to have someone shake said shower stall back and forth violently, and then try it with a toilet seat over your head. Yeah, not so pleasant.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Olsor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:31 am

Railblazer pictures are definitely scarce. There's a few pictures here:

www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Reef/6776/SFStL.html

And Shane (of Shane's Amusement Attic) had a clip of some news coverage of the accident.

From Shane's Amusement Attic

Captain Coaster Nerd!!

Postby JamesMC » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:57 pm

Thanks for the info/corrections about the ride.

We were supposed to go the year it was in operation, and after hearing about the accident we (my family-I was only 15 or so) changed our plans and we went to either Cedar Point or King's Island instead.

I am still surprised that there aren't more pictures of Rail Blazer in operation. If anyone's got some or knows where to find 'em, please post the links. Or, if you had a chance to ride, please post your review.

Thanks again!

James

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Rail Blazer At Six Flags St. Louis

Postby daclown81 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:54 pm

My dad riding the Rail Blazer before it was removed from the park in St. Louis
003c.jpg
My dad riding the Rail Blazer before it was removed from the park

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:07 pm

Thanks for sharing. Those trains look so awkward, especially the leg restrains.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby megametal » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:10 pm

I want to know why they thought turning a mine train into a stand-up coaster would be a good idea... Mind control from Togo? Sadism?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:36 pm

Here ya go....
railblazer1_128.jpg
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby Wes » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:40 pm

That looks brutal.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!