Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

My FRIGHT NIGHT came to a (not so) Scary End!
Users viewing this topic: bert425 and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

Postby Evan-500 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:55 pm

SoCalJasonland wrote:PNE looks fun. Does PNE get any additional rides during the fair or is it just what they normally have?

The PNE brings in West Coast Amusements who fills out the ride selection with a bunch of travelling flats.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:07 pm

^ I'm not totally disagreeing with you, but to myself, "a bunch" is not what keeps showing up year after year
during the PNE. Last year's fair, for example, we had a second scrambler, the lame (IMhO) Haunted House dark ride,
a second but much shorter Starflyer, a round up, that thing called Orbiter (see photos), and three flats that are
already here, because of Coaster not opening until mid-June: the Octopus, Tilt-A-Whirl, and Alien Abduction/Starship 3000.

Also, most of these brought in flats don't really sit in Playland itself. They sit on the perimeter of it, and within what's called
Celebration Plaza, home of a giant tented bar, Rib Fest, another performance stage...and a few flats.

There were also two walk-thrus that are staples here every year: Mardi Gras house (mirrors and slides) and Toon Town, both
of which (other clones of) I have seen in much better condition at other parks. And a small children's flat (flying helicopters?).

I really don't consider it worth the $$$ to pay to enter the Fair, deal with several thousand people everywhere, and then wait in
lines without shade (if it's that sunny and hot which it has been in the past) for flat rides, you could easily, practically walk on,
during Playland's season, before the Fair, or in the weekends in September, after the PNE closes. And you pay a higher Ride Pass
at the PNE than you do during Playland's season.

I do however, keep my options open, for buying single tickets, if by some great chance, they bring in a really new flat ride
that's unique and (probably) able to scare the pee out of myself, lol. That ride, I would buy tickets for. You can buy individual
# of tix for one ride. But not tickets/pass for everything else. Only the Orbiter, which is a relatively new flat for WCA still,
although it's been at the Fair for at least four years now. I would consider buying tix for Orbiter, at this time.

^^ Your choice I understand. But mid June through July would be much better to enjoy what's here already. And West Coast Amusements
in my Not So Humble Opinion, keeps bringing back old, OLD flat rides that are about ready to be trashed. They really need to "up"
their selection. The Orbiter is a good first step.

Prices for everything at the PNE (entry tickets, ride passes, deals etc.) : http://www.pne.ca
IMG_5300.JPG
Orbiter - pretty purty, hmm?
IMG_5301.JPG
The shorter StarFlyer with Orbiter.
IMG_1198.JPG
Oh yeah, this too.
IMG_1199.JPG
The kids' Heli Ride.
IMG_1220.JPG
This thing. I predict they will bring it back. Whee.
IMG_1347.JPG
Round Up
IMG_1196.JPG
IMG_1197.JPG
Actually, all of these flats and "houses" look much better at night with lights glowing.
IMG_6367.JPG
These three are already in place. Maybe. Could be moved for other flats. We'll see in a couple of weeks.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Evan-500 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:00 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:^ I'm not totally disagreeing with you, but to myself, "a bunch" is not what keeps showing up year after year
during the PNE. Last year's fair, for example, we had a second scrambler, the lame (IMhO) Haunted House dark ride,
a second but much shorter Starflyer, a round up, that thing called Orbiter (see photos), and three flats that are
already here, because of Coaster not opening until mid-June: the Octopus, Tilt-A-Whirl, and Alien Abduction/Starship 3000.

Also, most of these brought in flats don't really sit in Playland itself. They sit on the perimeter of it, and within what's called
Celebration Plaza, home of a giant tented bar, Rib Fest, another performance stage...and a few flats.

There were also two walk-thrus that are staples here every year: Mardi Gras house (mirrors and slides) and Toon Town, both
of which (other clones of) I have seen in much better condition at other parks. And a small children's flat (flying helicopters?).

I really don't consider it worth the $$$ to pay to enter the Fair, deal with several thousand people everywhere, and then wait in
lines without shade (if it's that sunny and hot which it has been in the past) for flat rides, you could easily, practically walk on,
during Playland's season, before the Fair, or in the weekends in September, after the PNE closes. And you pay a higher Ride Pass
at the PNE than you do during Playland's season.

I do however, keep my options open, for buying single tickets, if by some great chance, they bring in a really new flat ride
that's unique and (probably) able to scare the pee out of myself, lol. That ride, I would buy tickets for. You can buy individual
# of tix for one ride. But not tickets/pass for everything else. Only the Orbiter, which is a relatively new flat for WCA still,
although it's been at the Fair for at least four years now. I would consider buying tix for Orbiter, at this time.

^^ Your choice I understand. But mid June through July would be much better to enjoy what's here already. And West Coast Amusements
in my Not So Humble Opinion, keeps bringing back old, OLD flat rides that are about ready to be trashed. They really need to "up"
their selection. The Orbiter is a good first step.

Prices for everything at the PNE (entry tickets, ride passes, deals etc.) : http://www.pne.ca

Well you basically confirmed what I said by "a bunch" haha! They really do bring in a bunch, but I never did say they were worth it ;)

The last few years that i've gone to the PNE I haven't done any rides, just the fair food, drinking, shows etc. The rides are too busy.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:13 pm

^ Yeah, that is true. Your "bunch" is my "several" LOL. And like I said, I will only ride a new ride if it's a) NEW and
b) Unique, etc. And buy the individual tickets for it. I think Coaster is '10 tix' by the way. Must check on that when the fair opens.

I did enjoy watching everybody else go crazy in Playland, from the Ride Side Bar in Playland itself. It's only open during the
Fair, and the Adult Nights they've held, and Fright Nights. Great little bar, good staff, and great front views of humanity with
big stuffed POOPS, LOL! A really fun place to just people-watch in the midway and carnival games.
IMG_5116.JPG
The Ride Side Bar during last year's PNE.
IMG_5625.JPG
Ride Side Bar, renamed the SANITARIUM, during Fright Nights, 2017.
IMG_5308-.JPG
Like I said. Taken at the Ride Side Bar, my last day at the Bar (and the Fair) during the PNE.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:48 pm

Dragons are coming to the PNE!

Lost World of Dragons - NEW!

Garden Auditorium | Open Daily | 11am – 10pm

FREE with admission

"For thousands of years, one magical, mythical creature has captured the hearts and imaginations of cultures throughout the world. The Lost World of Dragons celebrates the wonder of dragons and gives visitors of all ages the thrill of seeing them brought to animatronic life. Visitors will be immersed in the stories of dragons, which appear in the lore and history of nearly every region and culture, from Norway to ancient China, where the creatures were revered and regarded as a symbol of good luck. Interactive displays invite visitors to engage all their senses. Photo opportunities include “Smaug’s Lair,” where visitors are eyed warily by the beast nestled in piles of gold and treasure."

www.pne.ca
DragonsWorld.png

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:47 pm

Every year, the advertising dept. of the PNE tries to come up with new and interesing campaigns
to "sell" Playland. This year was no different, but they didn't put as many paper ads up in usual
places like bus stops, or our rapid transit stations. So it was very hard finding them, this year.

Nonetheless, I copied these 3 images at the PNE site, which sort of gives you an idea of how they
advertised the park, before the Season started...
Ad03.png
Ad01.jpg
Ad02.jpg

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:46 pm

:b :br

Knights of Valour - NEW

Agrodome | Daily | 1, 3, 7pm during the PNE

FREE with admission

"Prepare yourself for entertainment worthy of a King and Queen. With full contact, un-choreographed, real live jousting, this is a thrilling show of horsemanship, bravery and chivalry like you’ve never seen before. Come and see your knights in shining armour as they ride into battle – it’s positively medieval!"
KnightsOfValor.png

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:35 pm

:b :br

Street of Dreams - A 360 Fabrication Classic and Custom Car Show - NEW!

Miller Drive | Open Daily | 11am – 11pm during the PNE.

FREE with admission

"There is something nostalgic about classic cars, custom hot rods, trucks and bikes.

Walk the Street of Dreams – a classic and custom car show is unlike anything else you experienced. This invitational exhibit is not your Sunday cruise. Stroll through Vintage Lane to see timeless classics given a new lust for life; eye up the hot rods in Camshaft Court, housing enough power to rip rubber from the rims. Lifted Lane will contrast the low-and-slow at Scraping Pavement Pullout. Cruise by the ‘muscle’ on Three Second Stretch, all alongside two-wheeled chrome on Pipes Place.

Street of Dreams – A 360 Fabrication Classic and Custom Car Show is an invitation-only event featuring the best of the best."
StreetOfDreams.png

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:22 pm

:br :b

POPnology - NEW!

Rollerland Building | Open Daily | 11am – 11pm during the PNE

FREE with admission

"This interactive, engaging exhibit makes the connection: how technology has been influenced by movies, books, television, art, and futurists. Which science fiction today will become reality tomorrow? POPnology takes us from fantasy to the reality of driverless cars, robots, drones, 3D printers – and into the future. POPnology not only chronicles our progression from science fiction to science fact, but also illuminates emerging technologies that are just now showing up on our cultural radar. Check out the DeLorean (from Back to the Future), Hal 9000, a 3D printed car, robot displays featuring Baxter, and more!"

http://www.pne.ca
POPnology.png
MidwayShotAdvert.png
Note: The red "See What's New!" button does NOT take you anywhere, lol. The PNE link is above. (o;

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:18 pm

Went and spent a couple of VERY WARM hours at the park earlier. Checking up
on how PNE setup is going, etc. It opens in three days! :smile:

Plan to hit the park one more time, tomorrow. Then, I CASH IN those Ice Ball tickets!
IMG_7006.JPG
Hmmm. More flats down. Last minute maintenance before The Fair opens, I'm guessing.
IMG_7023.JPG
IMG_7008.JPG
Mardi Gras fun house is back.
IMG_7009.JPG
So is the Oktoberfest fun house.
IMG_7010.JPG
Ooooo tacos and totchos!... Totchos? ...Yeah, Totchos!
IMG_7011.JPG
That's all forest fire smoke over there, covering the mountains.
IMG_7012.JPG
Smoky in the burbs.
IMG_7014.JPG
A smaller wheel is sighted.
IMG_7015.JPG
Right down there is where the Haunted House dark ride (yawn) is going.
IMG_7018.JPG
IMG_7019.JPG
Nice little carousel.
IMG_7020.JPG
Bathrooms in The Mist.
IMG_7007.JPG
One last Whee for today.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!