Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

Tix on sale, for Chinese Lantern Festival at the PNE in Dec!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:43 pm

Today was the day that the Vancouver Pride Society holds it's annual Gay Day at our home park, Playland, prior to our Pride Weekend in August (parade on Aug.03).

There's an area for gathering together, with live music and of course, the all-important Beer/Refreshment Garden, lol. And everybody is asked to wear a red shirt, as per the usual request at every Gay Day in every park ever held, around the world, heh heh. A lot do, and a lot.... well, don't LOL. But it's all for having as great time in our park here, today.

Unfortunately, I didn't see any of our great drag performers in this early afternoon, to entertain both us and the unsuspecting other people at the park, lol. They most likely had a big night of entertaining the night before, and would probably show up later. Much - later. <grin>

:)

I decided to take my little mini-digital camera over there and try my hand at taking (only) 20 high res photos with it. This camera I bought during the TPR UK Tour two summers ago, off a rack at a rest stop shopping place. Never broke it out of it's clamshell holder until this summer.

And as you'll see, some of the pics need a lot more... um... centering than I ended up with. A terrible little "view finder" (hah) with it, but I did my best. And no backscreen for either previewing or seeing what you took. Had to wait until I got back home and downloaded it all.

So I apologise in advance, for the heads that have been un-ceremoniously chopped off "a bit off the top" as I found out, when I downloaded. And all those front pavement shots! <sigh> I'll get it, eventually. :smile:

Enjoy.
GayDay08.jpg
First of all - this is the camera in question. Ain't it a cutie? Needs work on centering, etc. I'll learn...
GayDay08_00.jpg
Our massive expansive entrance to Playland. Doesn't look very 'gay' from here... Not much red I see. And a good "road shot," heh heh.
GayDay08_01.jpg
Our Vekoma CorkScrew goes a bit red for today. Note the big piece of pavement there in front? This park is not known for it's landscaping, lol.
GayDay08_02.jpg
A bunch of yellow here. Some red on it, but not a lot to notice. No red shirts to see either, darnit.
GayDay08_03.jpg
I see some red over there. But not much. And more blue in front, here. Hmmm.
GayDay08_04.jpg
Wait! Here's the new Honey Bee Express chugging along, which has some nice red trim on it.
GayDay08_05.jpg
There's a couple of big purple and yellow umbrellas. Not much red, though here. Except on the train.
GayDay08_06.jpg
Now I see some gold, and some silver in back. Still not much "red" to be found. I'll keep looking...
GayDay08_07.jpg
Our drop tower, Hellevator, has some red going right up through it. And the ferris wheel of course, is multi-colored. And more pretty pavement to see.
GayDay08_08.jpg
Wait! What's that beyond this basketball pavement, the hedge and the big rainbow flag (which always has red in it)? "Crave" huh?Must check that out!
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:12 pm.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby Corkscrew » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:59 pm

Nice to see a TR of Playland! Nice job on the pictures, it's tough using tiny cameras like that.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:28 pm

^ Thanks Corkscrew. And yes, it was a tiny little headache to figure out, LOL. But once in a while, I got a fairly good shot. Even Mario who took my pic got me excellently "centered", heh heh...

~-~-~-~-~-~-~

So I went around the hedge, which took me near our log flume ride, and Voila! There was the entrance to a nice little area set aside for gathering, a few cocktails, some entertainment... and Pride-sharing, lol.

Again, apologies in advance for the couple of head-chopped shots, lol.

:angel:
GayDay08_09.jpg
Here's Mario, Cindy and a friend of theirs, working the entry table.
GayDay08_10.jpg
Two guys in red (yay!) with Will and Michael who were running the Pride Society Merchandise booth. And our great big Hellevator tower in back.
GayDay08_11.jpg
Looking to the entertainment stage. And some green grass! Sort of. Purple trash container, too. Excellent Pride Themeing, LOL.
GayDay08_12.jpg
But THIS is really what we're all here for - beer and "refreshments". It's just not Pride without a Beer Garden, hmm?
GayDay08_13.jpg
Looking 'beyond the hedge' (wasn't that a movie, lately?) to our great, rocking wooden Coaster. And here's a woman in red! (o: Bathroom sign couple "themed", too LOL.
GayDay08_14.jpg
And here's me! Wearing my pink TPR Europe 2008 Tour t-shirt. Not exactly red, but hey - pink IS the new black, right? (I read that, somewhere)
GayDay08_15.jpg
Here's Alex and Tim who are giving out information about the Pride Society. Hey guys! Thanks for doing this.
GayDay08_16.jpg
Definitely more red shirts gathering here, as the day goes on.
GayDay08_17.jpg
Glen, his bf Dan, and their friend Richard. Enjoying the afternoon with drinks, music and good friends. Dan's Gay Days shirt says "Anaheim" on it. Possibly from a GayDay at the Disneyland parks? Didn't ask - didn't tell, LOL!
GayDay08_18.jpg
And with it running it's Red Train today, our Coaster is 50 years old this year! So a Happy Birthday with many more years of great riding to come! And a Happy Vancouver Pride, everyone!

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby Corkscrew » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:43 pm

Once again, good job with the camera you had!

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Photo TR: Playland goes GAYland in Vancouver today!

Postby darklingscribe » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:36 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:And as you'll see, some of the pics need a lot more... um... centering than I ended up with. A terrible little "view finder" (hah) with it, but I did my best.

You don't need to apologize Bill. The mere fact that you are trying to embrace digital will soon mean that you'll no longer have to worry about how much film you've got left on future TPR trips.

A great trip report for your first foray into digital.

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:26 am

^Agreed. No apologies necessary. Taking time to share your adventure with everyone is what counts here. =)

"Basically A Homosexual God!"

Postby rllrcster » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:40 am

That was fun Bill. One of my top 5 parks I have yet to get to!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:36 pm

^ Top 5 parks, Miles?

:?r

What are the other four, may I ask?

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:41 am

Miles, want to take a trip to Vancouver????? I would love to get up there and ride that great coaster again and I am sure Bill would be the perfect host!
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

"Basically A Homosexual God!"

Postby rllrcster » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:11 pm

^Oohhh, a weekend trip sounds fab to me! Let's discuss.

^^ Indiana Beach, Mt. Olympus, Valleyfair, and Chessington off the top of my head.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!