Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

FINAL DAY for Boxing Day Sale Price of 2018 Pass!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:40 pm

2018 Playland Season Passes are now available, with a $20 off deal, if you buy now, before Christmas Day.
(Although in several years past, they have extended the offer, practically to the end of January! But - no promises here)

http://www.pne.ca

Santa has a special treat for those on his ‘nice’ list!

For the cost of less than three visits, get unlimited rides over the 80 operating days with a 2018 Playland Season Pass.

From now through December 24, 2017, save up to $20 on a Playland Season PlayPass.

2018 Playland Dates:

May 5 – June 10, 2018: Saturday, Sunday, Holidays
Jun 15-27, 2018: Daily
Jun 29-Aug 17, 2018: Daily
Sep 8-16, 2018: Saturday and Sunday

NOTE*** Playland PlayPass NOT usable during annual fair, The PNE.
PL17-Holiday-Season-Pass.jpg
I was amused that somebody had actually counted the number of DAYS that Playland was open, in 2018.
BugWhirled-2017-11.jpg
I think the Dads are having more fun on Bug Whirld, than their kids are! (o:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:38 pm

Since we got a teensy bit of snow today, and then it went away late this afternoon... <sighs>
Chinese Lanterns-canceled.jpg
Take note, if anybody thought it'd be cool to see these lights in actual snow, tonight!
ChineseLanterns04.jpg
It's called the PANDA WALL!... With InflaTAbLE PANDAS!...Truth!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:12 pm

Our Visit to the Chinese Lantern Festival at the PNE! (Part 1)

Well! That was a really unexpected treat, visiting the Chinese Lantern Festival on the PNE grounds. We had a ton of snow dumped on us the day before, and even though most of it was melting away by late afternoon, they decided NOT to open for that day. Which made our visiting today, a bit of a stress 'thing' for me. Since the tickets were open dated (people could any day they wanted to) I was afraid the place would get swamped from two days of people visiting.

But it didn't happen. At least for the time we were there, and we went literally a few minutes after it opened (at 5pm). When we finally left the place (6:30ish, and we didn't stay for shows OR food), crowds of people were starting to flow onto all of the paths. And with the herds of cameras and cute children, to be posed in front of some of these creations, coming towards us.... we had it so easy, with hardly anyone in our way, camera wise. And we left at the right time, too.

The first part is really cool, as they 'lead' you along a pathway that encircles the Japanese Garden there. Then it opens up towards the centre of the grounds and then you come upon..... :wink:

Here's the first part of our trip through the Lanterns of Lights.
CFL17-01.JPG
At the main gate of the PNE, they've put up this awesome archway entryway.
CFL17-02.JPG
David and myself,, in front of the arched pathway we go through to get to everything else.
CFL17-03.JPG
CFL17-04.JPG
One of the base panels up close.
CFL17-05.JPG
Some fun stuff along the way.
CFL17-06.JPG
Really fun stuff!
CFL17-07.JPG
Heya! Whassup?
CFL17-08.JPG
Just me, couple of flowers, and a Light-up Bug.
CFL17-09.JPG
They do a few setups for Christmas too. This was #1. The others were farther along...
CFL17-10.JPG
...But then - out of nowhere ~ Easter Display!
CFL17-11.JPG
Big Fish. And opposite this...
CFL17-12.JPG
...The Panda Wall!
CFL17-13.JPG
Panda, up close and personal.
CFL17-14.JPG
Another archway.
CFL17-15.JPG
CFL17-16.JPG
Ooooo, what's all this?
CFL17-17.JPG
Statue up close, opposite...
CFL17-18.JPG
Penguins!
CFL17-19.JPG
The Pagoda of Many Colours. But we especially liked the purples.
CFL17-20.JPG
CFL17-21.JPG
Swans.
CFL17-22.JPG
Penguins! Again!
CFL17-23end.JPG
"Go towards the light, my sons and daughters." (To be continued...)
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:51 pm.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:35 am

Chinese Lantern Festival ~ The Map

Here's the map that was given out to us at the Festival's Entry Gate. It's amazing how they wrapped a route all around the main PNE buildings that weren't being used. And when we got into areas like where Celebration Plaza (Beer garden, BBQ Fest) was, or the PNE Nightly Concert "Bowl" area... it felt surreal, like these places never existed at all. Which meant tons of room to put more of the lighted sculptures in!
CFL17-map01.JPG
The side of the map with show times (we didn't stay for any), and the list of the Hot Bar & Refreshments.
CFL17-map02.JPG
And there were several beverages there, one could have with added liquor in it!
CFL17-map03.JPG
The whole thing.
CFL17-map04.JPG
Where we started, at the Hastings Entrance. And worked our way North. (o:
CFL17-map05.JPG
Then over to the East, was the performance stage, the"Souvenirs" Tent, and many many more lanterns!
CFL17-map06.JPG
Ad for the Ferris Wheel. We didn't do it, as it was getting much colder, and we figured it
would be a lot colder "up there" and of course the wind flying at us as we went round
and round and round.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:46 pm

those lanterns are beautiful.

thanks for sharing what looks like a great evening out!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:59 pm

Translation: Part 2 of our Chinese Lantern Festival visit ... and ^ THANKS, Bert! It was! And there's more of them, too! :smile:

After getting up close to the massive Pagoda they had set up, we continued through scenes depicting school children, and the classes they took. Then we headed back through the Flying Fairies Gallery, on through the Chinese Lantern Gallery, and eventually came upon the Food Area of the Festival...

Or, "this is where the food trucks are parked." One had fried everything, including mini donuts. The second had foot long hot dogs (an ancient Asian delicacy, ha ha). And the third one there did have Dim Sum available! There was also the Hot Bar & Refreshments after that, in a sort-of log cabin building. But at the time, only one person working there, which already resulted in a rather long queue (10+ gp) just to get a drink. With or without booze in it. And this was only after the Festival had been open for an hour! So I passed, even though I did want to try something. But not to wait as long as it was probably going to take.

We continued up the path to the West Coast Wheel, and found the 3 elephants that had been on display at this year's PNE to promote the event. Took some photos, then went back down into the much larger area to our right, where the performance stage was....
CFL17-24.JPG
It almost looked like an Ice Pagoda.
CFL17-25.JPG
Swans, from the other side.
CFL17-26.JPG
School scenes.
CFL17-27.JPG
West Coast Wheel in the distance.
CFL17-28.JPG
Happy school kids.
CFL17-29.JPG
More school stuff.
CFL17-30.JPG
Coming back, to go through the....
CFL17-31.JPG
Flying Fairies Gallery.
CFL17-32.JPG
A flying fairy, close up.
CFL17-33.JPG
This setup is called "Kylin In Delight." I have no idea what that means. It was quite "glittery" in it's lighting.
CFL17-34.JPG
But this was hard to photograph, because there was at least one bright light shining towards
the camera, no matter which spot I picked. Oh well. Such is the life of light and lanterns!
CFL17-35.JPG
"Glitter and be gay?"
CFL17-36.JPG
We're being MOONED! With stars!
CFL17-37.JPG
A Single Slip of A Moon.
CFL17-38.JPG
A Butterfly.
CFL17-39.JPG
Chinese Lantern Gallery. Continuing through to the...
CFL17-40.JPG
... Butterfly Gallery. And through that as well.
CFL17-41.JPG
Christmas Scene #2.
CFL17-42.JPG
"Exotic Asian Cuisine" = A few food trucks. Only one had actual Dim Sum in it.
CFL17-43.JPG
Lit pathway up to the West Coast Wheel, if a ride was wanted.
CFL17-44.JPG
On this sign, we noticed the price to ride had been dropped, from $5 to $3 per person. But we still passed on it.
CFL17-45.JPG
One of the elephants they had on display at this past PNE, to promote the Festival.
CFL17-46.JPG
The other three.... I mean, two elephants also displayed back in August. And David. (o;
CFL17-48end.JPG
Just beautiful.
CFL17-47.JPG
Back down the pathway towards the darkness and lights. And then we made a right, at those two columns! (To be continued...)

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:02 pm

(translation: A final look at the) Chinese Festival Visit was mainly in the "Concert Bowl" area of the PNE, where nightly concerts play.
With a minimal crowd there when we were there, the taking of photos was pretty easy. I could back up and include the whole
display, rather than waiting and jockeying for position, so that no crowds of young ones were bolting in and out of the frame.

We knew this was probably the case, when crowds of people were coming in as we were leaving! The obvious best tip for one
of these 'events,' was the same as some theme parks - arrive early! The pace was much more leisurely, and we didn't feel
crowded in at all, the whole time we were there. Including taking photos! :smile:

After finally seeing all of the displays, statues and such, we went into a tent set up for "Sales." Unfortunately, there was nothing
to buy that connected to the Festival itself (not even post cards? <sad> ), but I did manage to find and buy a couple of things.

And then there was the "dinosaur parked outside," mainly for kids to get on and have photos taken. I tried to get on it for a shot,
but the height between the plastic stool and the "saddle" was too much for me to deal with. So I "sat side saddle," lol. And when I
was doing that, people started getting attracted to where we were. After I got off it, there a small queue already lined up with
kids and adults, wanting to do the same.

All in all, it was a great different kind of holiday event to attend, and we definitely want to do it again next year, if they have a
few new lanterns on display. We won't expect the whole setup changed. But a few new lanterns placed here and there would be cool.
CFL17-49.JPG
CFL17-50.JPG
Wow! A BIG Dragon!
CFL17-51.JPG
Ha ha! I will eat all your fortune cookies!
CFL17-52.JPG
Once again, a display that isn't Holiday-ish. But DINOSAUR...ish.
CFL17-53.JPG
A second entry way arch. Probably for people who worked there.
CFL17-54.JPG
Lilies and Lanterns.
CFL17-55.JPG
CFL17-56.JPG
Peace Doves. They were changing colours like a lot of the displays.
CFL17-57.JPG
Close up on a few doves.
CFL17-58.JPG
The Sea Scene!
CFL17-59.JPG
Complete with jelly fish and sharks!
CFL17-60.JPG
"Totems" on either side of the performance stage. I didn't take any photos of the stage.
It was pretty ordinary (read: boring), compared to everything around it.
CFL17-61.JPG
Christmas Scene #3.
CFL17-62.JPG
This was really something to see.
CFL17-63.JPG
And close up, the detail was amazing!
CFL17-64.JPG
Butt of Dragon.
CFL17-65.JPG
Inside the "Sales Tent."
CFL17-66.JPG
No real "souvenirs" of the event here.
CFL17-67.JPG
But the candy sculpting was really cool to watch.
CFL17-68.JPG
Gorgeous!
CFL17-69.JPG
Heading out.
CFL17-70.JPG
A look back at what we'd just seen.
CFL17-71.JPG
Some sponsors.
CFL17-72.JPG
Back to the archway entrance. HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:10 am.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:23 pm

Oops. Forgot to add my Dino-Pix! Here's the best two of what was taken, without me falling off it, LOL...
CFL17-me01.JPG
Looks easy, doesn't it?
CFL17-me02.JPG
Hi Ho, Dino!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:42 pm

:airtime: :airtimer:

AHA! Turns out I was right (again) about next year's Season Passes still being offered at a discount....

This Boxing Day Special rate on Season Passes is only available online. Season Passes will be available for sale at retailers in April 2018. The Boxing Day promo pricing expires at midnight on January 21, 2018. Pricing includes applicable taxes.

Still, it's nice to know there's still a bit of a discount on this. http://www.pne.ca
PL17-HolidayExt-1200x628.jpg
Coaster_09.jpg
Shhh. Coaster is sleeping until May, 2018. (o; (A postcard, taken several winters ago.)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:19 am

Wow - that event looks great, Bill!

And yes, I will take a hot buttered rum as well. :p

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!