Europa Park Discussion Thread

P. 158: Dark ride sections to be added to Whale Adventures
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a culture ho

Re: Europa Park Discussion Thread

Postby Noxegon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:22 pm

^Seatbelts are there for a reason. Calling for them to be cut out (i.e. cutting out safety parameters) in favor of faster dispatch times isn't sensible.

Indeed not -- but are the belts actually required with the GCI restraint design?

I don't know the answer to the above, but I point the reader towards the many coasters out there that run with lap bars only.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby AstroDan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:26 pm

Well, there is no way that EP would run a coaster with a throughput of 850 per hour - such as Troy or each side of Joris en de Draak.

Blue Fire next door achieves a 1,700 per hour throughput and the lowest throughput coaster at EP is their wild mouse which still achieves over 900.

Quite how they plan to increase throughput is going to interesting. A MCBR perhaps?

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Xcoaster » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:18 pm

^ Mid-course probably. Heck, maybe even some kind of pre-lift dark ride section. If any park can keep the lines down, they can.

Anyways, so Europa Park continues to further distance itself from any "competition" it may have had in the theme park world. Just when I thought the world's best theme park couldn't get any more awesome, they add what will probably be yet another excellent coaster. It's almost overkill.

EDIT: Also, judging from the announced stats, this sounds like it'll be second only to Mountain Flyer at Knight Valley for GCI's tallest and fastest design, and about even in length with their other big coasters. That's assuming google didn't trick me at the conversions...

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Nozzy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:53 pm

I just visited Europa Park past October during study abroad, and already wanted to return (blue fire is my #1). But with the new hotel and coaster, all the more reason to go back. I'm actually not too surprised at the GCI announcement, as I noticed a few months ago that MACK lists GCI as a partneron their website, so it makes sense that GCI would be the one to put a woodie into Europa Park. I don't know how they plan to have that throughput, but I'm certain that if any park can, it's Europa Park.

DumbTums

Postby RollerCoasterSmi » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:59 am

Noxegon wrote:
^Seatbelts are there for a reason. Calling for them to be cut out (i.e. cutting out safety parameters) in favor of faster dispatch times isn't sensible.

Indeed not -- but are the belts actually required with the GCI restraint design?

I don't know the answer to the above, but I point the reader towards the many coasters out there that run with lap bars only.

This is precisely my point is there any reason that they need to be there? There are loads of other wood coasters without seat belts. Knoebels cut the seat belts out, so why couldn't Europa Park? Is a park like Europa Park really going to allow something that will slow up the boarding process? I think not, I mean none of their other coasters have seat belts.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby dragonskeep » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:03 am

I don't think removing the seatbelts is an unreasonable suggestion in theory. I think that most parks use the seatbelts to protect themselves from their guests. People do all kinds of stupid things on wooden coasters like stand up,turn around backwards and then die. I will reinerate that many coasters run fine with just seatbelts but some of these GCI coasters are getting quite twisty and may need the additional restraint.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby msep003 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:39 am

RollerCoasterSmi wrote:
Noxegon wrote:

This is precisely my point is there any reason that they need to be there? There are loads of other wood coasters without seat belts. Knoebels cut the seat belts out, so why couldn't Europa Park? Is a park like Europa Park really going to allow something that will slow up the boarding process? I think not, I mean none of their other coasters have seat belts.

The TUV in Germany are very very Strict !!!

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Baffles » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:50 am

But we are talking about the park that dispatches coasters without checking restraints as they trust their engineering to ensure you are safe. As mentioned, none of their coasters have seatbelts, and if you have an accident, you are responsible. Love the German way..

Will be very interesting to see how they do this.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby DandAyr » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:54 am

Olov wrote:And the stats says it'll cross two other roller coasters so I would guess the location will be somewhere between Blue Fire and Atlantica.
Google Maps
Ah it's great to be able to follow another 2012 project!

Only problem is that is an old satellite picture - that gap you highlight is where the splash ride Whale adventures in Iceland zone got put. Would not think they would put a coaster on top of it and not sure if enough room left there you could get in a station and storage.

Maybe at back of Greece - then silverstar and another (posieden or pegasus) would be close enough to be the two it goes by ?

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Solid Gold » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:04 am

I think the theme of the ride (Nordic Gods) would put it going into the Icelandic section of the park. The splash battle and kid's stuff I believe only take up about half of the land in that satellite pic. Europa has probably planned these last four additions to Iceland in order to fit all of these attractions, including the new woodie on the back side traveling near Blue Fire and Atlantica.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!