Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

P. 105: Portobello replacement concept art released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Re: Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

Postby DirkFunk » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:51 am

I don't think anyone is confused as to why Blizzard Beach hasn't ever gotten a new slide complex or that Typhoon Lagoon only sparingly gets them, but that fact doesn't really change my personal opinion that their slides are generally somewhat archaic in design compared to most regional water parks and that I lack any real enthusiasm to go due to that combined with the heavy crowd loads that hit it every day. I'm sure lots of families are happy going to it and it makes money. They should: their maintenance budget is obviously greater than most water parks' annual cap ex to be fair on the costs, but they're also like the first and second most visited aquatics facilities in the world IIRC.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:17 am

I don't care about water parks at all, but the level of theming on that slide is seriously impressive.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Location: Ypsilanti, MI (four hours closer to CP than my old home)

Postby cparkes92 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:04 am

DirkFunk wrote:I don't think anyone is confused as to why Blizzard Beach hasn't ever gotten a new slide complex or that Typhoon Lagoon only sparingly gets them, but that fact doesn't really change my personal opinion that their slides are generally somewhat archaic in design compared to most regional water parks and that I lack any real enthusiasm to go due to that combined with the heavy crowd loads that hit it every day. I'm sure lots of families are happy going to it and it makes money. They should: their maintenance budget is obviously greater than most water parks' annual cap ex to be fair on the costs, but they're also like the first and second most visited aquatics facilities in the world IIRC.

Maintenance is higher because of (a) their seasons (BB and TC are both open 9-10 months of the year, with their rehabs staggered so they're not going on at the same time) and (b) the number of people that ride their slides per day
Top 10 steel: Millennium Force, Incredible Hulk, Maverick, Banshee, Raptor, Top Thrill Dragster, Valravn, GateKeeper, Kraken, Rougarou
Top 5 wood: Shivering Timbers, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Mean Streak (RIP)

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:12 am

I think Volcano Bay will do 2 things to the Disney Waterparks:

- Raise the cost to be more inline with the Disney theme parks
- MyMagic+ For the waterparks

Fixed cause I'm an idiot
Last edited by Rollercoaster Rider on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:37 pm.
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club.
Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club
Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club
Joined January 30, 2015

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:20 am

Speaking of Disney water parks, I've been to both Typhoon Lagoon, and Blizzard Beach. Both were good parks, but nothing I can see us going back to visit for a few years. There's more interesting things to do than the water parks. I don't know why neither of the water parks are a big draw for us, their just not.

That being said, the new slide sure does look great. I love very heavily themed water slides... but still not enough for me to want to make a trip back just yet.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:57 pm

Rollercoaster Rider wrote:- A Version of Volcano Bay's Wristbands

Let's not forget that these special Tapu Tapu Volcano Bay Wristbands are (from what I understand) made by Accesso and just a custom Prism band. I'm sure if Disney decides to add Fastpass Plus to the waterparks it will do it with magic bands their own way.

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:40 pm

SharkTums wrote:

Let's not forget that these special Tapu Tapu Volcano Bay Wristbands are (from what I understand) made by Accesso and just a custom Prism band. I'm sure if Disney decides to add Fastpass Plus to the waterparks it will do it with magic bands their own way.

Fixed cause I'm an idiot
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club.
Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club
Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club
Joined January 30, 2015

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:09 pm

Rollercoaster Rider wrote:I think Volcano Bay will do 2 things to the Disney Waterparks:
- MyMagic+ For the waterparks

Don't you already use your MagicBand at the Disney water parks to get in and to pay for stuff? I thought the touch points at retail, F&B, and the park entrance have been there for a while, have they not?
Last edited by robbalvey on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:10 pm.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:15 pm

SharkTums wrote:

Let's not forget that these special Tapu Tapu Volcano Bay Wristbands are (from what I understand) made by Accesso and just a custom Prism band.

This is what I was led to believe. While neither party seems to confirm or deny this fact (just like Disney will never tell you that Vekoma supplies the hardware for their coasters, etc...) the Tapu Tapu band looks eerily similar to the Accesso Prism band, and I just cannot see Universal spending the kind of "Disney Money" for their water park system, especially when Accesso already has their system in place as many water parks and Universal already has an existing relationship with Accesso for their Express Pass....
bands.jpg
Last edited by robbalvey on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:18 pm.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:43 pm

Has anyone here ever used those at a waterpark? I'm pretty familiar with some of Accesso's other products's (Q-bot, Q-Smart etc.) but I don't think I've seen these in action anywhere.

Seems like if Disney wanted to bring Fastpass+ to the water parks they would have already done it by now, so I'm guessing it's not high on their priority list.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!