Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

P. 105: Portobello replacement concept art released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:07 am

IndoorSurvivalist wrote:Never mind I found a video. While this is certainly better than the one that was already there, doesn't seem to compete with the Blizzard Beach one on thrills or length

Why is it important for Disney to compete with something they already have?

I mean, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train isn't as long or as thrilling as Big Thunder, but yet that ride does just fine on it's own.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:52 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:32 am

I haven't looked at the pricing yet so I had no idea single day tickets to Volcano Bay weren't available at this point in time, but that's intersting, and it will be intersting to see how that plays out. I'm interested to see how the place works out logistically, with the whole park in the structure and ride a shuttle bus to the entrance plan. Seems like a headache to me but this is Universal.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:34 am

Aquatica will take over for Wet N' Wild with the locals market (which, hilariously, I hear Orlando locals themselves talk badly about) until/unless Fun Spot manages to actually develop a new water park in the area.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:42 am

^Yeah that's probably true, but at $108 for an Aquatica only annual pass compared to $125 for a Blizzard Beach and Typhooon Lagoon pass I know where I'd be spending my money if I were a local.

Actually Im close enough to be considered a local but I've got a boat load of water park days left from non-expiring tickets back when those things still existed, I should be set for a few years.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:49 pm

DirkFunk wrote:Aquatica will take over for Wet N' Wild with the locals market (which, hilariously, I hear Orlando locals themselves talk badly about)

Aquatica is "ok" and I've had a good time every visit, but I'm not rushing back.

The reality is this - locals here just don't seem to do water parks very often. I know very very few who frequent them and usually it's more of a "once a year MAYBE" kind of thing. I feel like we do a water park once every 2-3 years and for a "local" that seems about right.

Hilltopper39 wrote:I've got a boat load of water park days left from non-expiring tickets back when those things still existed, I should be set for a few years.

I actually have 14 water park days remaining on two non-expiring passes we've been holding onto since 2003. We'll have free Disney water parks for at least the next ten years! lol

In short, basically what I'm trying to say is that I don't think locals play a huge role in the water park attendance figures at all. And if I had to guess, the majority of "Orlando locals" going to any water park are probably going for very cheap if not free due to having friends or friends of friends that work at said resorts.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:51 pm.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:29 pm

robbalvey wrote:
Hilltopper39 wrote:I've got a boat load of water park days left from non-expiring tickets back when those things still existed, I should be set for a few years.

I actually have 14 water park days remaining on two non-expiring passes we've been holding onto since 2003. We'll have free Disney water parks for at least the next ten years! lol

Funny story last year I found two 3-Day children's tickets at my in-laws house that had to have been from around 1985, paper tickets with detachable daily admission tabs good at either Epcot or Magic Kingdom. One ticket had 2 tabs left the other 1, I took them to guest services and they gave me 3 single day park hoppers in exchange.

robbalvey wrote:In short, basically what I'm trying to say is that I don't think locals play a huge role in the water park attendance figures at all. And if I had to guess, the majority of "Orlando locals" going to any water park are probably going for very cheap if not free due to having friends or friends of friends that work at said resorts.

Yeah the more I think about it the more I agree with you but it is kind of interesting that they open a new attraction at a water park now, 2 months ahead of Volcano Bay's opening, considering that between almost 60 years of operation of BB & TL Disney has added a new attraction to either park once. I'm just curious as to why a family raft slide at Typhoon Lagoon and why now? Maybe some contractor at Disney Springs blew a job and said okay we owe you one...... and Disney said "what if we had a waterslide laying around, how much to have it installed......".

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:55 pm

^Typhoon Lagoon and BB both seem to be on the one new attraction every 10-15 years plan and this coincides with that. I really believe that Disney does not see Universal as competition as much as enthusiasts seem to believe. Disney is not 'reactionary' towards anything Universal is doing. They have long, long term plans and seem to stick close to them.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:57 am

I've been to Blizzard Beach, but not Typhoon Lagoon. This new raft ride sounds like fun, and I like how Disney is incorporating a story line into the ride (you don't see this at water parks).

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:25 am

robbalvey wrote:The Disney parks and Volcano Bay are more parks that people do as part of their resort stay. (And when I say 'resort stay' I don't always always mean people who are staying at a hotel on property, but people who have bought into multi-day tickets at a park resort.)

There's the kicker. I enjoy water parks so I'd be in that minority that would go to Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach or even Volcano Bay on a regular basis. However, most tourist-y type people seem to relegate Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach to that awkward "day 4" or "day 5" of their Disney Vacation as an off day after romping around the four major parks once.

I feel like if Disney were really "worried", if you could call it that, about Volcano Bay, we would be seeing new developments in their water parks on the scale of, say, Star Wars Land, Pandora or New Fantasyland. They know that people will always go to their water parks. That's why I think that they can be okay with a small, consistent base of attendance over the course of however many years, with the occasional "nice" new attraction that augments the existing offerings without any super-huge "whizz-bang".
A new urban amusement park? Check out this project that I've been working on!
Check out my portfolio on Wordpress!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Garet » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:09 am

I adore water parks and yet even though I barely do them here in Korea, because people wait 2-3 hours for even normal slides, whenever we look into doing Orlando we find that the maximum length we could probably get is a 2 week vacation. When we look at all the theme park to do, and considering it'd probably be a once in a life time trip, the water parks don't even cross our minds when factoring in all the parks, plus days where we can revisit ones we want re-rides or can't fit it all in and/or leaving empty days to move things in case of weather. I think Disney know what they're doing when they only add to those parks now and again. ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!