Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

P. 105: Portobello replacement concept art released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Re: Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:24 pm

The WDW monorails were last updated in 1991 so something's going to be happening with them in the not too distant future. Maybe they'll pull a Disneyland and simply replace the trains and perform structural upkeep on the existing beams.

There's road construction happening at WDW that appears to be aimed at creating a dedicated Busway down the middle of Buena Vista Drive. The Disney Springs end is already done and it looks like they're aiming to complete this all the way back to World Drive. That should make the buses run a little more efficiently. Maybe the same will come to World Drive in conjunction with whatever's going to happen up at the MK toll booth area now that the race track is history.

Adding a new gondola system of sorts should make it that much easier to get around along with the ground improvements.

Planning on retiring to Radiator Springs

Postby Skramp » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:48 pm

coasterbill wrote:
MagicAngel94 wrote:Does the monorail close in case of rain and bad weather?

No, and this would be the one drawback with the Skyway system. Assuming this is a modern enclosed Doppelmayr (or something similar) it would need to close for severe weather. They can run in rain, but they generally can't run in lightning or high winds. The wind limit is generally pretty high on these modern lifts though, it's not like we're dealing with the Cedar Point Sky Ride here.

Still, I think this is a minor drawback to an otherwise awesome idea.

Would it be something like the Ober Gatlinburg system? Maybe on a larger scale? Be interesting to see how many gondolas they can run at one time.
Who was that again?

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby 99er » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:23 pm

PeoplemoverMatt wrote:There's road construction happening at WDW that appears to be aimed at creating a dedicated Busway down the middle of Buena Vista Drive. ..... Maybe the same will come to World Drive in conjunction with whatever's going to happen up at the MK toll booth area now that the race track is history.

Osceola Parkway heading towards Animal Kingdom is getting a bus lane as well as an overpass at Victory Way to keep traffic flowing at the entrance to Wide World of Sports. The construction that is happening at the MK toll plaza is another overpass to keep traffic moving to the resorts without vehicles having to pass through the toll plaza. Its basically to ease congestion in the morning and to route resort traffic away from the parking lot/tolls.
-Chris

Remember, if you're arguing on the internet, you've already lost.
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby ALT2870 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:36 pm

Skramp wrote:
coasterbill wrote:
MagicAngel94 wrote:Does the monorail close in case of rain and bad weather?

No, and this would be the one drawback with the Skyway system. Assuming this is a modern enclosed Doppelmayr (or something similar) it would need to close for severe weather. They can run in rain, but they generally can't run in lightning or high winds. The wind limit is generally pretty high on these modern lifts though, it's not like we're dealing with the Cedar Point Sky Ride here.

Still, I think this is a minor drawback to an otherwise awesome idea.

Would it be something like the Ober Gatlinburg system? Maybe on a larger scale? Be interesting to see how many gondolas they can run at one time.

I would see it being built by either Lietner-Poma or Doppelmayr-(CTEC still?) Probably just your run of the mill gondola (with a Disney touch) like you would see at a ski resort. Interested to see if this plays out. Personally I think it could be a huge risk depending on the system. Typical gondola's don't run much past 50 MPH and even at that speed it can be a snail crawl. Gondola's are much more acceptable to wind then chairs since the wind can't move through the cabin. Lightning also plays a huge factor but I know lightning protection systems exists so that might not be an issue. But when they run, they can move more people then just about anything else, and you don't have to wait long. The amount of cabins would depend on the line length.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:41 pm

Probably not a coincidence Disney filed permits for work to upgrade Caribbean Beach...

I Love Donkeys!

Postby IndoorSurvivalist » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:53 pm

ALT2870 wrote:Typical gondola's don't run much past 50 MPH and even at that speed it can be a snail crawl.

50 MPH? That would be insanely fast for a gondola.

Gondolas typically go around 6-8 meters per second, which would be around 13-18 MPH.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:54 pm

ALT2870 wrote:Typical gondola's don't run much past 50 MPH and even at that speed it can be a snail crawl.

50 MPH on a gondola ride?! Sign me up for that!! That's going to be the most insane ride of its type!! :br

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:40 am

I'm assuming they meant 50MPH winds.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:53 am

Jew wrote:I'm assuming they meant 50MPH winds.

But that takes the fun out of everything. :(

I was really looking forward to that 50mph gondola ride!! :lol:

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:31 am

Hong Kong and Sentosa in Singapore have some pretty beefy systems that this could be modeled after with multiple large cabins traveling simultaneously. I assume that's what would be used here.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!