Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

P. 681 - Wahoo River to replace Castaway Creek in 2018
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Postby vacoaster09 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:28 am

Six Flags America's Facebook posted new photos.

Looks like it might have a preshow in there.

Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:46 am

For those interested, Apocalypse is starting to let riders ion at 2pm. You have to visit a booth out front and get a ticket for an hour time slot, and that's when you ride! Seems like a good system.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Double-posting, but just wanted to spread my report to whoever checks this thread. Which really is only like four people I think, but hey, that's something! The report is here:

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62681

And here are some pictures (more after the jump)!

DSCN2525.JPG

DSCN2530.JPG

DSCN2534.JPG

DSCN2536.JPG
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Location: El Toro, back seat, crossing over what used to be Rolling Thunder

Postby Oryp » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:28 pm

Just got back from the park, got on Apocalypse 4 times, three of which were in the front row. The themeing is nice and they had the fireball effect working, which surprised me. The ride was smoother than I anticipated, but still bumped my head a few times. One time, the train in front of me got stuck on the brake run, do we were stopped on the lift for a few minutes. Roar was running the best that I've ever seen, and I actually put my hands up for the first time on that particular ride. For the first time ever, I actually kind of enjoyed Mind Eraser, and even went back for a reride. Overall a good day, and I liked Apocalypse. It fits in well with the rest of the park. It's definitely a step in the right direction for SFA.

Oryp
Count: 199
Skyrush | Intimidator 305 | Maverick | Superman: The Ride | Millenium Force
Outlaw Run | El Toro | Boulder Dash | Thunderhead | Phoenix

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby CoasterRollin » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Oryp wrote:The ride was smoother than I anticipated, but still bumped my head a few times. One time, the train in front of me got stuck on the brake run, do we were stopped on the lift for a few minutes. Roar was running the best that I've ever seen, and I actually put my hands up for the first time on that particular ride.,

Hahaha, I was on that train! It was my first ride, then what do you know? Technical difficulties. Oh well, it's to be expected.

I agree completely about both Apocalypse and Roar.

Apocalypse was a fun ride! It was definitely smoother than I anticipated too. In the front row, the first half of the ride (up until the "flat bit") is silky smooth and from my neck down, the entire ride rode smoothly. It was mainly just a few head bumps here and there, as Oryp said (exit of the upward spiral through the loop, entrance to the corkscrew, some other places near the end). The back row had a little more head banging, but the "defensive riding position" did the trick.

And yes, Roar is running the best I've ever seen. I thoroughly enjoyed it on all 4 of my rides today. To me, the bumpiness was at a level where it actually added character to the ride.

One minor note - I'm usually a big fan of S:ROS, but today the blue train had a good case of the "rattles." Still great speed and air time though.
Last edited by CoasterRollin on Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:46 pm.
QueerRudie wrote:In the name of the Lord, Our Saviour, Anton Schwarzkopf... Amen.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby CardCraze » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:11 pm

Six Flags America Fans: OPEN CASTING CALL for Video/Photo Shoot! If you would like to be considered for our APOCALYPSE video shoot on Monday, June 4 from 7 am – noon email keymessagepoint@gmail.com, subject line: FACEBOOK. Include your name, age, address and phone number PLUS a photo of yourself by 9 pm TONIGHT! If under 18, you must be accompanied by parent or guardian. Must be 54” + tall and READY TO RIDE. Details will be provided following your email.

Six Flags FaceBook. They only posted it about 5 minutes ago, so I imagine they mean 9pm CST or PST.

EDIT: Six Flags has deleted the post.
Parks Visited in 2015: None so far!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby djwcaw » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:06 am

Here's my quick review of Apocalypse...
Was there yesterday for opening day on Apocalypse (yes we survived the Last Stand!) Big crowd at the entrance to the ride as everyone wanted to try it out but only the season pass holders were allowed admittance. Amazing how the site was transformed. The track, trains, queuing areas and station look really great. Apocalypse will clearly be a highlight draw for the park in years to come. Here's my quick grades...
Thrill B- - was comparing it to Georgia Scorcher a much more recent B&M standup down in Six Flags Atlanta - Scorcher just has steeper drops, more speed, variation and thrill factor. Apocalypse is a fun coaster...but doesn't have a HUGE lasting ride impression. Front row is clearly best I think as time passes...Superman, Batwing and Jokers Jinx will still be the top ride coasters in the park.
Theming A - for a Six Flags park...this is a home run. The 'Terminator' type post-war apocalyptic theme is done very well considering the size/layout of the site. Best part after speaking with a technician there was that quote 'there is alot more to come.' (with regards to theming and this could rise to an A+)
Effects - Had some 'Terminator' type music blaring all around the ride. Fireball just a great effect with the bass audio. Nice audio, lighting (sirens/wail on police truck, rotating lights on entrance columns.) This is a ride that draws all passerbyers in and makes you pay attention (sight and sound.)
Comfort B- better than expected...but still a stand up coaster. The barrel rolls are somewhat hard on shoulders.
Overall B+ - For a 'hand me down' coaster....SFA has done an amazing job. It's a lot of fun and the presentation/theming of the ride make this a must attraction at SFA.

See my pics at bottom of this thread page - http://www.sfafans.com/showthread.php/6587-Six-Flags-America-adds-Apocalypse-Coaster-for-2012/page35

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Ed Farmer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:13 am

CoasterRollin wrote:
Oryp wrote:Apocalypse was a fun ride! It was definitely smoother than I anticipated too. In the front row, the first half of the ride (up until the "flat bit") is silky smooth and from my neck down, the entire ride rode smoothly. It was mainly just a few head bumps here and there, as Oryp said (exit of the upward spiral through the loop, entrance to the corkscrew, some other places near the end). The back row had a little more head banging, but the "defensive riding position" did the trick.

I'll keep writing this until I'm blue in the face (blue on my fingertips?)- It was nowhere near as awful as you would be led to believe if you sampled posts about Iron Wolf. If the ride beat you up, it's more than likely that you're completely relaxing your neck muscles and letting the ride's forces decide where your head goes. Fly a kite or take up gardening instead.
"Next, we are going to solicit the children of strangers so that we can go on a ride designed for children. This is so I can post online and impress other people who are very good at procuring unfamiliar children in order to go on rides designed for children, and thus have a higher arbitrary number than me."

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby andybarnes84 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:06 am

So it would seem they've taken most of the theming elements from SFMM including the music and entrance arch and applied them to this. I'm guessing that this theme could be seen at other properties over the next couple of years to save costs.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby vacoaster09 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:21 am

Seems as though SFA's apocalypse took on more of a Radioactive theme of destruction as opposed to SFMMs. Too bad we don't have one themed on cannibalism because that would be free adventising right now.
Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!