TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Six Flags America (SFA), this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

February 24th, 2005 - water to be upgraded/expanded to Hurricane Harbor - SEE BELOW!

July 5th, 2005 - Woman dies of heart at Hurricane Harbor

December 18th, 2006 - Tony Hawk Halfpipe announced for Hurricane Harbor in 2008

May 24th, 2008 - Tony Hawk's Halfpipe opens today

July 30th, 2008 - Frightorium (haunted house during Fright Fest) suffers seriuos fire damage

April 4th, 2009 - Thomas Town announces for 2010

February 10th, 2010 - Details of Thomas Town announced

May 13th, 2010 - Rumor of a Tony Hawk Big Spin (which never materializes)

April 8th, 2011 - Zoomazon Falls waterslides to be installed in 2011

June 9th, 2011 - SFA announces that Skull Mountain will permanently close in 30 days

June 13th, 2011 - First rumor that Iron Wolf will be moved from SF Great America

September 1st, 2011 - It is confirmed that Iron Wolf is being moved and renamed Apocalypse

September 4th, 2011 - Skull Mountain demolition pictures

December 7th, 2011 - Rick Howarth to become park's new president!

April 2nd, 2012 - Apocalypse track work completed

June 7th, 2012 - Apocalypse Media Day

August 30th, 2012 - Bonzai Pipelines Announced!

January 10th, 2013 - Small fire reported near bumper cars building

July 5th, 2013 - The local NBC affiliate is reporting that SFA will now more easily be able to build rides over 200 feet high

August 28th, 2013 - Park to get new Mardi Gras themed land with two new rides!

August 29th, 2013 - Ragin Cajun moving from SFGAm to SFA

June 20th, 2014 - Rajun Cajun opens, station still a work in progress

August 28th, 2014 - Bourbon Street Fireball announced for 2015

April 6th, 2015 - SFA season opens with Joker's Jinx under repair

September 3rd, 2015 - Splashwater Falls (interactive play structure)

September 1st, 2016 - Wonder Woman: Lasso of Truth (Star Flyer) announced

August 31st, 2017 - Wahoo River to replace Castaway Creek

August 30th, 2018 - conversion of Apocalypse to Firebird, with floorless trains announced

August 29th, 2019 - Harley Quinn Spinsanity announced for 2020

Original Post:

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/america/P ... 22405.html

Two new big slides, a new beach area, new restaurants, new paint, and new name: Paradise Island no more.

-kip-

All I can say is THANK GOD! That waterpark has not been updated since I moved to Maryland nine years ago, unless you count that Crocodile Cal's Beachhouse as an update. A lot of those rides needed serious refurbishment, and hopefully, with this facelift, they'll get it. The only thing I have to complain about is the fact that they're changing the name to Hurricane Harbor. It's so predictable. At least with Paradise Island, it was somewhat original. Well, at any rate, it will definitely be more fun to go to this year.

Good lord, not ANOTHER Tornado! Thats 5 Tornado's opening this year at SF parks alone (SFSTL, SFDL, SFAW, SFKK and now this one). Plus Michigans Adventure is getting one. At this rate, every SF park will have a Tornado by 2008.

Still, its nice to hear SF is adding something to this slightly forgotten park, should be nice to see.

That waterpark certainly needs some new rides. Now I'm really sad that I didn't get a season pass to SFA for Valentines Day. Glad to see though that this waterpark and SFDLs are finally getting some much deserved attention; though it does affect my market up here in Derek's Garden Hose Kingdom North.

Derek "Still like the Toilet Bowl ride the best!" Ruth

Good lord, not ANOTHER Tornado! Thats 5 Tornado's opening this year at SF parks alone (SFSTL, SFDL, SFAW, SFKK and now this one). Plus Michigans Adventure is getting one. At this rate, every SF park will have a Tornado by 2008.

Sorry to be anal, but this just bothers me. SFAW is not getting a Tornado. Splashtown is.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

BOWIE, MD - (December 17, 2007) - Six Flags America invites everyone to “skate the wake” this summer as it announces a truly awesome water adventure at its Hurricane Harbor water park for the 2008 season: the first ever Tony Hawk’s Halfpipe! This edgy waterslide, branded after the superstar skateboarder Tony Hawk for its similarity in shape to that of a skateboarding halfpipe and its intense experience, offers a new form of watery thrills for the entire family!

“We are ecstatic to be adding Tony Hawk’s Halfpipe to our already stellar water park lineup. This is a water ride that teens, tweens and parents alike can enjoy,” said Six Flags America park president, Terry Prather. “This incredible ride is the highlight of a family entertainment package for 2008 that is unsurpassed in this region!”

Tony Hawk’s Halfpipe stands four stories tall and sends Guests flying down one side of the halfpipe’s “ramp” and up vertically to the other on one and two person inner tubes. This first-ever Tony Hawk water slide allows riders to experience on water what skateboarders experience on dry land: zero gravity!! As riders go barreling down one part of the ramp toward the other end, they’ll experience the sensation that speed plus their own weight may possibly carry them over the edge – very skateboarder-esk! The frictionless surface helps create a free-fall effect as riders slip and slide forward and in reverse, up and down the U-shaped “slide with no sides” attraction. But just before cresting over the edge…water spray jets actually push the tube forward as Guests continue to “skate”- aka “slide”- to the bottom.

“I am honored and excited to be involved with this new water park ride,” said skateboarding legend, Tony Hawk. “The Tony Hawk Halfpipe waterslide is a great way to emulate the fun of skating a huge halfpipe with the thrill of riding an amazing waterslide! I can’t wait to try it myself!”

Sprawled over almost 25 acres, Hurricane Harbor at Six Flags America is FREE with paid park admission. It is one of the largest water parks in the Mid Atlantic with 38 water rides and attractions, a kiddie section called Buccaneer Beach and one of the largest wave pools, Hurricane Bay, in the country!! Tony Hawk’s Halfpipe is sure to generate even more excitement for Harbor Guests with plenty of room for onlookers to observe all the fun if riding is not part of their park agenda.

This season, Guests can enjoy Tony Hawk’s Halfpipe at Hurricane Harbor, along with a summer concert series featuring today’s leading recording artists, a variety of new shows and special events for one low price by taking advantage of the ultimate value, the Six Flags America Play Pass. The pass is just $49.99 and pays for itself in just one visit! Visit sixflags.com today to purchase the ONLY pass to totally rad fun this summer!!

Preparing for its ninth season of non-stop fun, Six Flags America opens for the 2008 season on Saturday, April 26. Six Flags America is located 40 minutes south of Baltimore, 15 minutes east of Washington, D.C. and 20 minutes west of historic Annapolis, MD.

Please feel free to visit the Official "Tony Hawk's Halfpipe" Page Here: http://www.sixflags.com/america/rideswaterpark/TonyHawksHalfpipe.aspx

I've done one of these in a Spanish waterpark and I'd like to say they are a huge thrill!

There are point where you feel you're about to fall out the tube backwards just before you do actually fall back to earth. This will be a great attraction to an already awesome water park!