TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Honestly I thought Ragin Cajun was an absolute blast. During Holiday in the Park it's their best steel coaster by default.

It's a great little coaster. Since they do not fill the cars when my partner and I ride together we sit on the same side and it spins like crazy.

Okay. I have a bunch of random thoughts and I can't think of anywhere better than here to put them. Between 2000 and 2006 (maybe 07), I attended SFA well over 50 times. It was and still is my home park; I only live about 30mins away. I always enjoyed my time at SFA, even if I only went for an hour. But I always had some major jealousy whenever I attended most other major parks. Back in the day, I'm pretty sure the forums I frequented the most were the ThrillNetwork ones, but I also was on every SFA fan site there was. Well, I just spent a few hours catching up on several years worth of posts in this thread, and it's so funny (and depressing) that the rumors leading up to the annual announcements, and disappointment that follows when it's just something trivial, is nearly identical now to what it was 10+ years ago. A few pages back someone mentioned adding a path between Batwing and Roar or Mind Eraser. God, I vividly remember discussing that crazy idea (that's not actually crazy) back in 2003.

I did actually go back to SFA for the first time in October for FF. It was interesting seeing all the little changes all at once. But it was essentially the same park, but with slightly rougher rides and faded paints. Batwing, SRoS, JJ, WW, and the RODEO (love that thing) still brought a smile to my face though.

This next part isn't SFA related, but I feel like throwing it out there. In the early 2000s I was privileged enough to get to travel around and ride coasters across the us; I got my count pretty close to 300. It felt like it was my life. I don't know exactly when, I think sometime when I went off to college, the hobby almost completely faded away. Well, something flipped in my head like a week ago and it's all rushing back. I am as completely immersed and obsessed as I used to be. I just hate that its happening right as the season is ending!

So I went to opening day of HITP yesterday. It was a overcast day . . . temps around 56 in the afternoon, dipping to about 50 after sundown.

Of course, no S:ROS, Batwing, Joker's Jinx and WW:LOT

But I still got in a good day . . .

Wild One - 9x

Roar - 6x

Apocalypse - 4x (I know, keep your head back on stand ups, doesn't always work. I did yell out 'Ouch, my balls!' one of my rides)

Of course, I saw the stunt show twice and the show in Mrs. Claus's Cafe (and consumed six Hot Chocolates)

Some pics . . . .

20171118_135616.thumb.jpg.d4606c4b4a278e618a165d114483926c.jpg

Main Street Christmas Tree

20171118_140025.thumb.jpg.72c320ab4b31267bfbbfc375206c2099.jpg

100 years strong!

20171118_150204.thumb.jpg.3c26b5080931988c14cb5110620411e7.jpg

Friends don't let friends ride Vekoma SLC's (shouldn't that be one of the Commandments of Roller Coasters?)

20171118_150411.thumb.jpg.c7a00c44f88dd55bf40d244fc50a50c1.jpg

Me and Daffy . . . .

20171118_181749.thumb.jpg.1ff0d802765a1a4562ded926c3599e9e.jpg

She's spunky!

Friends don't let friends ride Vekoma SLC's (shouldn't that be one of the Commandments of Roller Coasters?)

1. No, actually hats and other ear protection are far more effective on Reindeer's Flight/Mind Eraser/Ear Burner than on Apocalypse.

2. No, if I have any Commandments it's don't rag on a ride just because it's a bit long in the tooth. You can to be funny as long as it's understood it's just to be funny.

1. No, actually hats and other ear protection are far more effective on Reindeer's Flight/Mind Eraser/Ear Burner than on Apocalypse.

2. No, if I have any Commandments it's don't rag on a ride just because it's a bit long in the tooth. You can to be funny as long as it's understood it's just to be funny.

I should have said in my picture that my Mind Eraser comment was in jest

Fifty eight dollars for a gold pass, and free parking at all six flags parks now... It's crazy. I used to buy the season parking pass at SFA, but you still had to pay for parking at other Six Flags parks. I'm going to check out HITP next Sunday, and I'm looking forward to it.

We went down to North Carolina for Thanksgiving to visit Brit's family and took a break from the unending hell of I-95 on Thanksgiving weekend to pop into the park for a few hours on the way home.

We got there until a little before sundown and left around 6:30 so we had a chance to ride some rides, grab dinner and check out the lights. I won't bother with a full trip reports but I figured I'd comment on a few things.

- The park has 2 "main" Christmas shows which is pretty cool since Great Adventure really only has one. We have no interest in singing and dancing shows, but we did check out Christmas Crashers, the holiday stunt show over by the Scrambler. Like last year's show, this one was incredibly corny and low budget, but it was cute and definitely fun to watch. There are only four people in the cast, and I recognize a lot of them from last yera's show but I have no complaints and they did a great job.

- We managed to get on a ton of rides. The park seemed decently crowded by SFA standards, but all rides had wait times ranging from 0-5 minutes. We rode every coaster in the park (including Fireball) aside from Mind Eraser and Apocalypse because they're f*cking terrible. In addition, we got a re-ride on Roar to end the night and a ride on Voodoo drop and Zydeco Zinger.

- Roar and Wild One were both running very well. Roar is quickly becoming my favorite ride in the Holiday in the Park section of the park. Our first ride on it a few years ago was awful, but they've done some re-tracking and it's been running great the last few years. We also got a front seat ride on Wild One. We had no idea the coaster was 100 years old this year, but it's running smooth and awesome! Great job by SFA to take such good care of these coasters.

- Chop Six is terrible. If the rumors are true and Great Adventure replaces Panda Express with this sh*t, that's a real shame. Yes, it's on the dining plan but I wish these parks would offer non-terrible food for people who don't mind paying a little extra for something that's actually edible. I don't expect Knoebels, but holy crap.

- The lights looked awesome. I wasn't a fan of the fact that they don't actually turn them on until after it's already dark out but once they came on they were stunning. Main Street, the North Pole and Silent Night were definitely the best areas.

- Ragin Cajun and Voodoo Drop are tremendously underrated. For it's size, Voodoo Drop packs way more of a punch than it has any right to. As for Ragin Cajun, holy sh*t does that thing spin like crazy.

Overall we had a blast. Holiday in the Park is outstanding, and definitely my favorite time of year to visit SFA despite Gotham City being closed. It really makes the place feel like a small, family park and it has an entirely different vibe than it does in the summer.

A few pictures...

IMG_7983.thumb.JPG.490e9a628d6127ad78b8aae27e2b1c46.JPG

Happy Holiday in the Park!

IMG_7962.thumb.JPG.8e2f1f1f92e4f6d576e64f6920f89ade.JPG

Hanging out with Santa!

Just a couple of coasters, coasting along. PS: During Holiday in the Park, Fireball is somehow the best looping coaster in the park by default. Imagine that...

IMG_7978.thumb.JPG.188bedb7fbbc8bc47854278309e4930e.JPG

The lights in the "North Pole" section are fantastic.

IMG_7979.thumb.JPG.f0b8f05fdf4fb904cb1c832e7a415609.JPG

And I love how the park went through the trouble of changing so many ride and shop names.

IMG_7977.thumb.JPG.522017753fe32c954592ebbb45ce3338.JPG

... like this one

IMG_7974.thumb.JPG.628f4168bd73c4f6f0e8a87a55d46a0e.JPG

Happy 100th! Does this make Wild One the oldest "operating" coaster in America?

IMG_7975.thumb.JPG.d9718771e7651f842a8d52765bcc765e.JPG

There's a tree lighting ceremony on this tree that's new for this year. It's a really clever way of saving money on their electric bill since now they don't actually have to turn the lights on anywhere in the park until it's been dark for 30 minutes. lol wtf?

IMG_7982.thumb.JPG.4393d1ac5ca468f843e14087d577f2b4.JPG

Goodnight from SFA!

Edited by coasterbill

Great report! Glad they were able to make Six Flags America look nice for once.

All kidding aside, I'm glad to hear Wild One is still running well. I do wish that coaster were still in my backyard at Paragon but I guess all those rich people love having their condos on Nantasket. It must be amazing to have a drop tower for Holiday in the Park so you can enjoy all the lights on the ascent.

Great report! I've always thought the non-Gotham City areas of SFA looked "fine" if only they could make Gotham City somehow replicate it. I may need to check out Holiday in the park sometime next year. Would this year but probably still need to drop some lbs before I try riding a PTC train.

Nice photos sir . . . and yes Wild One is the oldest operating coaster in the US now (as Leap the Dips was MIA this year)

edit: When I was there on Saturday, I did make 2 trips on Apocalypse and Mind Eraser. I took the proactive step of donning my earmuffs on both rides (yeah I got bonked around, but well . . . protection helps)

Chop Stix is great!

When I want my drink refilled and don't want to wait in a line because nobody is eating in there.

My teenager was there Saturday. She raved about how well Roar and WO were running. I asked her if rode RC and she said her friend's mom rode with them and it spun more than ever. I wonder if they squirted some WD-40 in there because it seems like the reports are that it is spinning more.

So if SFNE's Mind Eraser is getting new Riddler paint to go with the new cars I wonder if SFA's ME will get new cars and a new name that fits that section. Like not even paint it just call it Coyote Coaster.

A minderaser retheme and new trains is well overdue. Hopefully for the 2019 season if we’re not getting a new coaster.

After months of hype and speculation and the DIppin' Dots guy said JJ is being removed and I heard a worker saying he can't wait until the stand up coaster is gone and I saw a guy with an RMC shirt poking around ROAR and me just saying hey man, can we get that path???

The New for 2019! announcement will be a new sign and name for Mind Eraser.

Great report! Glad they were able to make Six Flags America look nice for once.

All kidding aside, I'm glad to hear Wild One is still running well. I do wish that coaster were still in my backyard at Paragon but I guess all those rich people love having their condos on Nantasket. It must be amazing to have a drop tower for Holiday in the Park so you can enjoy all the lights on the ascent.

Thanks! While objectively I guess Superman is the best ride in the park, I sort of feel like Wild One is their signature ride. It's the only ride in the park where there isn't a better version of the same ride elsewhere (well... I guess Roar is unique now too) and while I know nobody outside of the enthusiast community knows or cares, I personally don't mind skipping some of those objectively better rides to re-ride Wild One. It's an absolute blast.

Nice report! The lights look really great. Voodoo Drop is awesome, and glad to hear it getting some love from you. It's small, but its got a nice little bit of force to it.

I couldn't believe that thing was actually good. It's so short I was really wondering why they even bothered, but the drop was surprisingly awesome. I guess that just goes along with Intamin's pattern of making rides that should be ridiculously f*cing stupid way better than they have any right to be (looking at you, Skull Mountain).

Awesome photos! That sucks to hear about Chop Six. I held out hope that it'd at least be an at-best decent replacement, but looks like it's not meant to be.

Yeah, it's PURE sh*t. I guess the chicken is fine. It's way worse than Panda Express (which is average at best anyway), and probably the worst Chinese food chicken I've ever eaten in my life but for a theme park it's fine. It blows my mind that they could screw up white rice though. It was completely inedible. If you drown white rice in soy sauce and it still sucks, that's almost a miracle. You could drown cardboard in Soy Sauce and it would be good.

Would this year but probably still need to drop some lbs before I try riding a PTC train.

The seatbelts on those Wild One and Roar trains are awful, even for a PTC train. I don't know how they are in terms of length, but they're impossible to buckle with so many layers on and I would imagine it would be a similar situation for anyone trying to squeeze into the train. The buckle itself is like 2 inches from the side of the train and they don't extend any further plus they're the annoying old airline style buckles that take forever to buckle when you can't see the thing. I'm not saying someone who has to squeeze into the train can't ride, but it might be a process. The ride ops had to assist basically everyone. The tighter the squeeze, the longer it took. Replacing them with seatbelts from this millennium would speed up dispatch times a lot, but this park clearly doesn't care.

Nice photos sir . . . and yes Wild One is the oldest operating coaster in the US now

Awesome! I thought so, but I wasn't sure. It's a great ride.

protection helps

F*ck yeah it does

^^ Your trip reports just keep on coming and coming Bill, awesome !! So the whole Gotham section was closed off? Which includes their top 3 coasters (that statement is debatable however).

Thanks! And yup, they cut the pathway right at Wild One. On one hand it's a shame since (as you mentioned) most of the best coasters in the park are in the back but at the same time it's so ridiculously ugly back there that I sort of like it. Without that desolate sh*thole in the back of the park, Six Flags America is actually pretty nice and almost charming. When coupled with the great Christmas lights, it doesn't even feel like the same park. It feels like a small, intimate family owned park. Even if they wanted to, they would never be able to decorate the back of the park and make it look good so I'm cool with it.

Chop Stix is great!

When I want my drink refilled and don't want to wait in a line because nobody is eating in there.

Nice photos sir . . . and yes Wild One is the oldest operating coaster in the US now

Well... maybe... I dunno... but only on a technicality. Really, Wild One (as it currently stands) has about as much connection to Giant Coaster as Twister at Knoebles has to Mr. Twister (the former coaster at Elitch Gardens that Twister is based on). The layout has changed significantly, the trains are new(er), and when the ride was moved, little (if any) of the actual hardware from the ride moved from MA to MD. Besides, the ride has had too many modernization and just "feels" too new.

There should be a clear designation between "oldest operating" (which I guess Wild One could claim) and (in my opinion), the more prestigious honor, "oldest continually operating" (which I believe would go to Kennywood's Jackrabbit and Seabreeze's Jackrabbit now).

But of course, that's all just personal opinion...

Thanks! While objectively I guess Superman is the best ride in the park, I sort of feel like Wild One is their signature ride. It's the only ride in the park where there isn't a better version of the same ride elsewhere (well... I guess Roar is unique now too) and while I know nobody outside of the enthusiast community knows or cares, I personally don't mind skipping some of those objectively better rides to re-ride Wild One. It's an absolute blast.

Wild One was my favorite coaster when I visited, but that's because Ride of Steel pulled an Intamin and was down for the day. I have ridden the mirror image at Darien and can say that coaster is superior though, so unless SFA ran their's into the ground, Wild One would probably me my second favorite ride in the park.

Well... maybe... I dunno... but only on a technicality. Really, Wild One (as it currently stands) has about as much connection to Giant Coaster as Twister at Knoebles has to Mr. Twister (the former coaster at Elitch Gardens that Twister is based on). The layout has changed significantly, the trains are new(er), and when the ride was moved, little (if any) of the actual hardware from the ride moved from MA to MD. Besides, the ride has had too many modernization and just "feels" too new.

There should be a clear designation between "oldest operating" (which I guess Wild One could claim) and (in my opinion), the more prestigious honor, "oldest continually operating" (which I believe would go to Kennywood's Jackrabbit and Seabreeze's Jackrabbit now).

But of course, that's all just personal opinion...

From what I've read, it was only the lift hill motor/chain and the cars (the current PTC trains came aboard in '97) that came with the former 'Giant Coaster' when it was purchased (reconstructed by Dinn Corporation). And the coaster didn't operate in '85 (Paragon Park closed in '84 and the coaster sold in '85) and '91 (Wild World wasn't open at all because of $$$ issues).

You are correct in that Kennywood's and Seabreeze's Jackrabbit's are the oldest CONTINUALLY operating coasters (as Leap the Dips is MIA this year, and was also MIA from 1986-May 1999)