TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Even though I doubt Joker's Jinx will be removed in the near future, and I'm still very skeptical about V2 being removed and sent here, an Impulse coaster would be a fitting replacement for a Spaghetti Bowl launch coaster. And in my opinion, it would be an upgrade! Just day dreaming, though.

Wtf. No it would not be a fitting replacement for a full circuit inverting coaster. Full Circuit>Shuttle. Never will an intamin impulse be better than a premier spaghetti bowl.

The Premier spaghetti bowl isn't that great unless it's in the dark like Flight of Fear. Not only is the Intamin launch much better but you get a real drop.

Yeah, spaghetti bowls are good, but definitely prefer the impulse coasters I've been on. Also, Six Flags America doesn't even have a shuttle coaster, so it would fill another important spot in their lineup while still having a launched coaster. I didn't bother responding right away because the full circuit>shuttle comment just broke my brain. Yeah, let's replace all the impulse coasters with kiddie coasters and Pinfari loopers!

They can even bring back the Two Face theme.

If you take the GP into consideration, nobody is going to want to ride a rollercoaster that launches forwards and backwards several times. It's super repetitive and has no major gimmick to it like a 100 mph launch or 400 ft spike.

I think the last few years have proven that you don't necessarily need a huge gimmick to market a ride.

CGA managed to market Patriot (a super basic coaster.. heck, they even advertised it has the first Floorless coaster in the park when they have Flight Deck...), both SF and CF have been able to market basic flat rides over the years, and several other instances.

If, for whatever reason, SFA would receive a relocated Intamin Impulse (which I doubt in the first place), I don't think they would have any issue at all marketing it. Heck, going backwards is a gimmick in itself.

"Nobody is going to ride [x] coaster" is an extremely broad generalization to make and is quite far from the truth, from what I can gather.

If you take the GP into consideration, nobody is going to want to ride a rollercoaster that launches forwards and backwards several times. It's super repetitive and has no major gimmick to it like a 100 mph launch or 400 ft spike.

There are no words for this...

Wtf. No it would not be a fitting replacement for a full circuit inverting coaster. Full Circuit>Shuttle. Never will an intamin impulse be better than a premier spaghetti bowl.

1. There is no rule book that says a full circuit coaster is better than a shuttle. Coaster riding is subjective. What you like might not be what someone else likes. Personally, if I had Jokers Jinx and Possessed sitting in front of me and could only ride one, I'd ride Possessed. Cry about it.

2. Stop assuming you know what everyone else is thinking, because you don't.

Shoot, their new swing isn't even put together yet? I haven't had a chance to ride one of those..oh well.

I'll be in town next weekend - I'm assuming it's a better idea to visit on Sunday the 30th vs Saturday the 29th, right? Or are weekend crowds the same on both days?

Shoot, their new swing isn't even put together yet? I haven't had a chance to ride one of those..oh well.

I'll be in town next weekend - I'm assuming it's a better idea to visit on Sunday the 30th vs Saturday the 29th, right? Or are weekend crowds the same on both days?

1. I was hoping WW:LOT would be ready by Memorial day weekend . . . .

2. I typically go on Saturdays, early season isn't really that crowded, but as it gets to summer . . . crowds do increase

Both local school districts were off last week and this and so they were open during these two weeks. Saturday you might get early opening week crowds because kids' friends are talking about how they went over break. Sunday night is a school night after a break so families will likely be too tired to be out in force unless it is crazy good weather. I would go Sunday but it should be a marginal difference.

The "big rides" should be walk on early. Maybe hit Wild One quick first and second because while it's a good coaster and 100 years and all you will be happier with watching a couple of Superman and Batman trains early and riding those as opposed to waiting for WIld One a bit later in the day.

It's not predictable, but generally Sunday is better by a long shot, Saturday is the only really bad day of the week, any park, any weekend. Last week at KD, Monday was more crowded than Sunday. I also think SFA is affected worse when crowded.

I'm looking at potentially booking a trip to BGW/KD summer 2018 with a Base of Operations in Williamsburg. Since SFA is close-ish, what are the odds I'd collect all credits/decent flats arriving at 1 pm with no Flash Pass in 1 day. Is it worth it to make the 3 hour drive?

I'm looking at potentially booking a trip to BGW/KD summer 2018 with a Base of Operations in Williamsburg. Since SFA is close-ish, what are the odds I'd collect all credits/decent flats arriving at 1 pm with no Flash Pass in 1 day. Is it worth it to make the 3 hour drive?

The odds are great because the ride lines at this park are generally nonexistent but it's REALLY important to note that the stretch of I-95 between 295 in Richmond and the 495 DC Beltway is one of the most congested highways in America and you should definitely plan on sitting in traffic. I still think you could easily scoop up the credits, but you should definitely expect traffic so be a little flexible with your plans. If you have a GPS / phone with built in traffic and it says to take 301 then do it, but 301 sucks too.

PS: I'm not sure where you live or if you're flying or driving but EZ Pass is a really good thing to have for this drive. Most car rental companies will offer the option to use it, and it allows you to use the 95 express lanes if they're open in your direction. Sometimes they can be really beneficial and can easily shave 30 minutes to an hour off of your drive. It all depends on traffic though, sometimes you don't need them but you want the option to use them just in case.

^I have to reiterate just how bad this stretch of highway is. Although I've been to KD and SFA multiple times, on one trip I decided to do both in the same day. Never do that. In its own day, I would say the drive up to SFA is definitely worth it if you have never been. The park gets a lot of hate but it is actually fairly nice now and has a few stand out coasters. You probably won't want to go back any time soon, but it is a lot of fun on a first visit.

The odds are great because the ride lines at this park are generally nonexistent but it's REALLY important to note that the stretch of I-95 between 295 in Richmond and the 495 DC Beltway is one of the most congested highways in America and you should definitely plan on sitting in traffic. I still think you could easily scoop up the credits, but you should definitely expect traffic so be a little flexible with your plans. If you have a GPS / phone with built in traffic and it says to take 301 then do it, but 301 sucks too.

This is absolute truth. That stretch of highway never fails to give me full-blown road rage and make me wish for flying car or transporter technology. A few weekends back, I was driving from BGW back home to NYC, and left the park at 2 PM with the anticipation of being home before 9 PM. I arrived closer to 11, and the majority of that extra time was spent in traffic jams on that stretch.

If you're expecting a 3 hour drive from BGW to SFA, plan for 4, and don't be surprised if it turns into 5.

I am 13.3 miles from the gate and GOOGLE says it should take me 24 minutes. I have made under 20 but it has also taken me an hour on Rt. 3/301. If you have a SF pass it makes sense and is doable if you want to get in WIld One at 100 years old.

My advice would be enjoy the time at BGW, especially if you get a deal on a two day ticket. Theoretically, when WW gets built you should be able to see the monument in DC which could be a cool thing. But that ain't opening soon.

It doesn't matter what time of day we've tried to make it through that stretch, we have always hit traffic. Midday, sure that makes sense. But we got stuck in an hour of traffic at midnight since they did roadwork in the dumbest manner possible. They reduced everyone down to one lane. Traffic was flowing. They then opened it up to all lanes for a 2-3 mile stretch only to compress it back down again, which caused another nightmarish merge.

People say Southern California is bad. Honestly in my 3 trips there, traffic hasn't been anything like the area around DC.

I am 13.3 miles from the gate and GOOGLE says it should take me 24 minutes. I have made under 20 but it has also taken me an hour on Rt. 3/301. If you have a SF pass it makes sense and is doable if you want to get in WIld One at 100 years old.

My advice would be enjoy the time at BGW, especially if you get a deal on a two day ticket. Theoretically, when WW gets built you should be able to see the monument in DC which could be a cool thing. But that ain't opening soon.

Opening Mid May

Opening Mid May

I doubt mid May. Closer to June/July from what I've seen

Nope, I'll try to find the press release from the PR person. Definitely will not be July. No park in history, from what I know, has opened a new ride in July.

Great Adventure did in 2014, but that was because of state imposed delays.

It does seem like they're behind schedule, but the footer is what takes the most time with these rides. The tower and test cycles can be completed in two weeks.

I was at the park yesterday for a short time. It was only for about 3 hours, but we got a lot done since the park was empty. There obviously wasn't much progress with the star flyer. The operations were still slow even though they've been trying to improve that chain-wide, but it didn't matter since there were no lines. I actually had a really fun time because it wasn't a long visit, so it didn't get too boring. Rides:

Wild One x 5 - Front row twice, back row, second-to-last row twice. It's running so well for a 100 year old coaster! The awesome out-of-your-seat airtime and amazing laterals were great as always. It just hauls ass from beginning to end. It's definitely by far the best ride here, and the main reason to go here.

Voodoo Drop

Bourbon Street Fireball - This actually ran a longer cycle than El Diablo usually does. There was at least an extra loop going in each direction.

Zydeco Zinger - My brother wanted to ride this. We were both laughing at how bad it was since we were cramped into the seats, and it was incredibly forceless. It's nothing like the Moby Dick or Rock Star rides.

Jokers Jinx - Still has a hideous peeling paint job, but it's quite a bit of fun. Still prefer Intamin impulse coasters!

Superman: Ride of Steel - Back Row. Great airtime and speed like always. They seemed to fix the seat belts so that they aren't more restrictive than the actual restraints. Speaking of restraints, this would be such a better ride if the shin guards had a little padding or didn't try to shatter your bones!

Batwing - Back row. Not quite as intense as I remembered. Still good.

Roar x 2 - third row, second-to-last row. When I went last season, about half of it was re-tracked. Now most of it is re-tracked, and it's even better! Who knew SIX FLAGS AMERICA of all places would take such care of their woodies that they're the two best rides in the park! Fun twisties and laterals, and some airtime too. Also has a good pace, except for the two airtime-less hills after the first big turn.

Rodeo - Such a nice family ride.

If there's nothing going on during a day later in the season, I'll probably stop by for Wild One, then Adventure Park USA to ride their Schwarzkopf Wildcat.

Supposedly, I've read that the longtime performer/current head of entertainment Brad Irish is leaving SFA. True or not?

His FB page says he left SF with people posting goodbyes and best of luck in China... I'm thinking true.

Supposedly, I've read that the longtime performer/current head of entertainment Brad Irish is leaving SFA. True or not?

His FB page says he left SF with people posting goodbyes and best of luck in China... I'm thinking true.

Ah ok . . . I was asking because someone posted a video of the stunt show from the 23rd and noted it was his last show.