Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 953: Hersheypark teasing 2019 addition!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3467
Joined: 05 Jul 2012
Location: On a two man ride with Flume Dog
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:31 pm

double.

Can I park my donkey here?
User avatar
 
Posts: 49
Joined: 04 Feb 2017
Location: Mount Joy, Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby Card » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:34 am

prospekt88 wrote:I'm 6'0" 180 lbs, pretty skinny legs but a little muscle from playing hockey over the years. Skyrush absolutely kills my thighs every time. I don't think comparing it to i305 is fair because for me with Skyrush it's not the intensity that's the problem, it's purely the restraints digging into my thighs. If you put i305's restraints on Skyrush I'd have no problem with the ride at all. I really want to love the ride, and everything else about Hershey is amazing, but I can't. I still give it at least one chance in a different seat each visit but haven't found one that's even remotely enjoyable.

Geez... if I took my Flintstone vitamins and tossed a few weights around more often, I'd swear you and I were twins. I'm a scrawny puke at 6'0" 170 lbs, also play hockey, and would also find Skyrush enjoyable if it weren't for the bloody damned restraints. The problem is that the contact area is so narrow compared to the likes of say the clamshells found on B&M hypers. Even the restraints found on Maverick and I305 would be an improvement.

(Man, Skyrush and I305... say what you will about Intamin, but they know a thing or two about building coasters that are frickin' muhvuggas.)

And yeah, I still ride Skyrush at least once when I get a chance to get to the park, but I'm skipping that back left seat going forward. Oh. My. God.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...
User avatar
 
Posts: 80
Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Location: Long Island
Gender: Male

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby prospekt88 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:03 am

^Good to know it's not just me haha.

That is a good point about the contact area being so narrow. If that contact point was a couple inches closer to my waist and further from my knees I think it would be way better. But where it lies right now is pretty close to halfway between my waist and knees and it feels like its trying to rip my upper leg in half everytime I leave the seat, which is pretty much the entire ride.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3467
Joined: 05 Jul 2012
Location: On a two man ride with Flume Dog
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:13 am

Card wrote:
prospekt88 wrote:I'm 6'0" 180 lbs, pretty skinny legs but a little muscle from playing hockey over the years. Skyrush absolutely kills my thighs every time.

Well, if I've learned on thing it's that 170-180 lbs is hockey playing weight. I'm 5'10 or so and 175. Although I'd probably drop to 150-160 lbs if I didn't try so hard to maintain what little bulk I have.

Online
Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 4238
Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Age: 25

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:21 am

prospekt88 wrote:^Good to know it's not just me haha.

That is a good point about the contact area being so narrow. If that contact point was a couple inches closer to my waist and further from my knees I think it would be way better. But where it lies right now is pretty close to halfway between my waist and knees and it feels like its trying to rip my upper leg in half everytime I leave the seat, which is pretty much the entire ride.


I think the minimal contact point adds to the intensity of the ride. I'm about 5'10", 165 pounds. The restraints are tight, but I have no issue for one ride. I will start to feel it after 4-5 rerides in a row if the crowds are light enough such that I don't have to leave the train.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Image
Most Recent Trip Reports- Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo DisneySea

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3467
Joined: 05 Jul 2012
Location: On a two man ride with Flume Dog
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:29 am

I'm really surprised Hershey or Intamin haven't tried to do something about the restraints with all of the common complaints. I mean apparently you have one kick A$$ ride that's almost intolerable for a lot of people to ride. If an enthusiast can't stick it out, I'm curious how the non coaster nerd looks at it. Do you hear the typical groans on the brake run as other uncomfortable coasters?

Online
Nothing beats Cali coasters
User avatar
 
Posts: 2699
Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Location: Ocean Beach, CA
Gender: Male
Age: 25

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby chickenbowl » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:39 am

prozach626 wrote:I'm really surprised Hershey or Intamin haven't tried to do something about the restraints with all of the common complaints.


They have. They added extra padding and implemented a slight hydraulic release on the brake run.

prozach626 wrote:If an enthusiast can't stick it out, I'm curious how the non coaster nerd looks at it.


Little known fact: Enthusiasts are almost ALWAYS bigger complainers than the GP and are pretty wimpy when it comes to "comfort."
Image
Chasing Airtime
Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Expedition GeForce|Medusa Steel
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Wildfire

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3467
Joined: 05 Jul 2012
Location: On a two man ride with Flume Dog
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:42 am

^Yeah, I guess that second part is true. Seems like your average person isn't desirous of marathoning rides, either. I have a few friends and their families who were perfectly content with riding everything at Cedar Point one time.

I know about the padding, I just question its effectiveness. I guess the bottom line is that I'll have to wait until July to truly form an opinion, but I was trying to get a feel in advance.

As far as the middle and wing seats go, do you get to queue up separate for either one, as opposed to queueing up as a traditional four across? For example, Diamondback/Intimidator vs. Fury/Apollo's Chariot.
Last edited by prozach626 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:47 pm.

Online
I wrote the book about donkeys!
 
Posts: 428
Joined: 28 Mar 2016
Location: New York City
Gender: None specified

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby Satans Hockey » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:50 am

prozach626 wrote:As far as the middle and wing seats go, do you get to queue up separate for either one, as opposed to queueing up as a traditional four across? For example, Diamondback/Intimidator vs. Fury/Apollo's Chariot.


It's all the same queue but the rows are large and you enter from the left side of the train so if you took the two seats on the left side of the train the other 2 people behind you can still take the right 2 seats and don't have to climb over you or anything.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...
User avatar
 
Posts: 80
Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Location: Long Island
Gender: Male

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby prospekt88 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:16 pm

chickenbowl wrote:
prozach626 wrote:I'm really surprised Hershey or Intamin haven't tried to do something about the restraints with all of the common complaints.


They have. They added extra padding and implemented a slight hydraulic release on the brake run.

prozach626 wrote:If an enthusiast can't stick it out, I'm curious how the non coaster nerd looks at it.


Little known fact: Enthusiasts are almost ALWAYS bigger complainers than the GP and are pretty wimpy when it comes to "comfort."


Eh, I usually go to the park with my brother who hates the thing even more than I do. We can ride Wildcat all day too. You won't hear us complaining about SLCs or Boomerangs. As I have said I love i305 and El Toro, so it has nothing to do with intensity. But Skyrush is pure pain. So I do think it's valid to wonder why the park hasn't done a little bit more to prevent this issue.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron