Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 976 - Chocolatetown & New Roller Coaster for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:56 pm

I got meaty A$$ thighs and I love every second of Skyrush. The only time its bothered me was riding repeatedly (like 7 times) one day a few years back. Just a ride or two? Not at all.

My advice to all that are hesitant to ride Skyrush is as follows: ride in the front and center seats for the most controlled ride - you can see whats coming and you're not on the wing. The further back in the train the more insane it is - the back left is the death seat. I think you should take a ride just to say you did it but it might turn you off to the thing forever. It's absolutely wild back there. I've come to appreciate the front of Skyrush much more. Its very forceful but it rides very different than it does in the back rows.

Anyways, anywhere you sit - hold on to the grab bars and tuck your legs under the seat for some leverage. Ride the entire thing like that. Don't even try to go hands up since the forces are so wild and the restraint so minimal you'll be tossed around so much you might hate it.

As far as the tightness of the restraints, they always pop open a couple inches when you hit the brake run.

Regardless of your hesitation, you gotta do it. You really gonna go all the way to Hershey and not ride one of the best and most polarizing coasters anywhere?

X > X2

Postby X2coasterfreak » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:12 pm

boldikus wrote:Anyways, anywhere you sit - hold on to the grab bars and tuck your legs under the seat for some leverage. Ride the entire thing like that. Don't even try to go hands up since the forces are so wild and the restraint so minimal you'll be tossed around so much you might hate it.

So true, ah man this makes me miss Skyrush so much. I love it when a coaster can make me lose control of my body, and Skyrush is really good at doing that. The quick transitions between extreme negative and extreme positive forces can throw you around like a rag doll in the best way possible, especially on that Stengel Dive. This is a coaster that can not be missed on a trip to Hershey, it's seriously world class.
Credit Count: 415
338 Steel 77 Wood

Steel Vengeance/Intimidator 305/Skyrush/Maverick/Twisted Timbers
Lightning Rod/Outlaw Run/Phoenix/El Toro/Wildfire

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Condor » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:19 pm

Skyrush is my #1 and I liken it to lifting weights. I wouldn't call myself jacked or anything, but I lift heavy about 4 times per week plus cardio and sometimes you just have to endure a little pain and discomfort if you want the flood of endorphins and the results that follow. Skyrush is the same way. It makes you earn it. That won't be for everybody and that's fine.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby VegasBaby » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:21 pm

boldikus wrote:I got meaty A$$ thighs and I love every second of Skyrush. The only time its bothered me was riding repeatedly (like 7 times) one day a few years back. Just a ride or two? Not at all.

My advice to all that are hesitant to ride Skyrush is as follows: ride in the front and center seats for the most controlled ride - you can see whats coming and you're not on the wing. The further back in the train the more insane it is - the back left is the death seat. I think you should take a ride just to say you did it but it might turn you off to the thing forever. It's absolutely wild back there. I've come to appreciate the front of Skyrush much more. Its very forceful but it rides very different than it does in the back rows.

Anyways, anywhere you sit - hold on to the grab bars and tuck your legs under the seat for some leverage. Ride the entire thing like that. Don't even try to go hands up since the forces are so wild and the restraint so minimal you'll be tossed around so much you might hate it.

As far as the tightness of the restraints, they always pop open a couple inches when you hit the brake run.

Regardless of your hesitation, you gotta do it. You really gonna go all the way to Hershey and not ride one of the best and most polarizing coasters anywhere?

I am an average height and build (5'10", 180lbs) and didn't have an issue with the Skyrush restraints. They are tight for sure, but I wouldn't call them painful. As Boldikus stated above, they release a little in the brake run and that was the only time I ever noticed how tight they were. Also, this is not a hands in the air type ride. And I am totally a hands in the air guy, but not on Skyrush. I love sitting in the rear wing seats and hanging on for dear life. It's the only coaster I've ever ridden where I felt like i was going to get thrown off the ride. It's defintely something you have to experience for youself as words don't do it justice. (That's me in the red shirt below.)
Picture-hpsk-20150618-0001553.jpg
Coaster Count: 208 Last Coaster: Superman Krypton Coaster
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) El Toro 6) Twisted Colossus 7) Maverick 8) Lightning Rod 9) Mako 10) Storm Runner

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby prospekt88 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:44 pm

I'm 6'0" 180 lbs, pretty skinny legs but a little muscle from playing hockey over the years. Skyrush absolutely kills my thighs every time. I don't think comparing it to i305 is fair because for me with Skyrush it's not the intensity that's the problem, it's purely the restraints digging into my thighs. If you put i305's restraints on Skyrush I'd have no problem with the ride at all. I really want to love the ride, and everything else about Hershey is amazing, but I can't. I still give it at least one chance in a different seat each visit but haven't found one that's even remotely enjoyable.

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:49 pm

6' 1" - 175lb. I've ridden Skyrush around 20 times. I don't find the restraints noticeable, but not uncomfortable. I actually find the straight bar thigh sections of Maverick, I305, and Storm Runner to be be more uncomfortable.
Chasing Airtime
Steel Vengeance|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Twisted Timbers
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Wildfire

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Satans Hockey » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:04 pm

prozach626 wrote:I apologize, because I know it's been a topic of conversation before, but I'm curious what the body types are for the members above who have differing opinions of the comfort level of Skyrush. I'm a medium frame slim guy with a little gym/running/cardio muscle on my legs. Emily is the same.

Is Skyrush more comfortable for slim guys or dies it jive better with guys who have a little more meat? I'm really apprehensive about Skyrush with the mixed reviews. Emily love and I love B&M hypers for their re-reideability and we just had a conversation last night where she vowed I305 to be awesome for exclusively one ride per visit... I was tapped out at 4-5. Don't misinterpret these comments are dislike toward Intamin, since we love MF and Maverick.

I'd say I'm about the same as you so I think you'll be just fine.. ... And that's funny because my gf can't do i305 more than once either and I can do it a couple times. That ride kicks my A$$ after a few rides, idk if it's just because I'm getting older or maybe the combination of the heat since it's usually hot there but I definitely can't marathon it. We both love MF and I definitely love maverick more than she does though she'll still go on that one a lot.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Satans Hockey » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:08 pm

boldikus wrote:Anyways, anywhere you sit - hold on to the grab bars and tuck your legs under the seat for some leverage. Ride the entire thing like that. Don't even try to go hands up since the forces are so wild and the restraint so minimal you'll be tossed around so much you might hate it.

See this is what was my main purpose of going back to Hershey was for because I kept reading everyone here talking about it lol when I went in 2014 I couldn't remember if I kept my hands up or not but I knew I definitely didn't sit in the last row on the left but I went yesterday and rode it hands up and legs out and it was the most bat shit insane experience I've ever had on a coaster and I loved every second of it. I totally thought I was going to end up in the water below at some point haha

I definitely recommend giving it a shot at least once, it definitely took me a bit of will power not to grab the bars cause I thought I was done for haha
Last edited by Satans Hockey on Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:19 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:15 pm

and that's why I hated it.

I ride coasters for fun, not to feel like I'm going to die.

(and yeah, I was on a back wing seat).

I will give it another try later this summer when i go back to Hershey, but will NOT be towards the back, and will NOT be in a wing seat. But I'll give it another shot.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

boldikus wrote:Regardless of your hesitation, you gotta do it. You really gonna go all the way to Hershey and not ride one of the best and most polarizing coasters anywhere?

It was probably poor wording on my part, because there is no way in Hell I won't give the ride a try or three as long as it's open. I just hope that I enjoy it.

Satans Hockey wrote:... And that's funny because my gf can't do i305 more than once either and I can do it a couple times. That ride kicks my A$$ after a few rides, idk if it's just because I'm getting older or maybe the combination of the heat since it's usually hot there but I definitely can't marathon it.

Right there with you, bro. I305 is an insane ride and very fun, but it almost leaves you with a drained/hangover feel when you ride it a few times.
Last edited by prozach626 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:32 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!