Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 962: Hersheypark announces 2019's Reeses Cupfusion
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:10 am

All coasters have a minimum recommended temp to run. I have consistently read here and elsewhere that B&Ms have a minimum temp of 40 degrees to run. Great Adventure (and now New England) runs them anyway.

Intamins are finicky for sure but we can't really assume that Great Adventure is not running them because they can't. Obviously they aren't supposed to run the B&Ms but they are anyway. And they're generally running well. Obviously Toro runs like sh*t in the cold and will valley just before the brake run, but we don't know if Kingda Ka *can't* run. I think a lot of it has to do with staffing and decorating those areas.

As far as Hershey running their B&M and Intamins, the event has always been geared towards families but Bill raises a very good point that they've obviously been adding more to the lineup in response to HITP.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:20 am

Jcoaster wrote:Im going off the basis of the Intamins are less durable than the B&M's in cold weather from what we have seen which is why the B&M's have been running during winter events while Intamin's haven't.

I remember seeing Intamin's have a minimum degrees requirement to run while B&M's will run in the middle of a Blizzard.

B&M's have a temperature limit (according to Busch Gardens, Cedar Fair and others), Six Flags just found a way to run them anyway. Dollywood has eased way up on their B&M also and stopped cutting the Wild Eagle line when they cut the other coaster lines. Last year they would run it down into the 20's (after it reached the start up temperature). Parks pay attention to what other parks are doing.

The most exciting thing about the recent Christmas Event boom is that the increased competition is forcing every park to run more rides and make their events better. Hershey went over 3 decades without running a coaster, Great Adventure and Six Flags America started doing it and now they're running 6. Busch Gardens Williamsburg always used to run one coaster but last year they added a second (Tempesto) and I wouldn't be that surprised if they added InvadR this season. Dollywood started running Wild Eagle in way lower temperatures last year. As more and more parks run more and more coasters the competition will take notice.

As for the Intamin comment, I think the main reason we haven't seen an Intamin running is because the chain that's really being aggressive with this (Six Flags) hasn't had an event in a cold weather park where they had an outdoor Intamin coaster in a portion of the park that they would want to open anyway. For Six Flags New England to run Superman they would need to open and staff the entire park and in the event of snow they couldn't plow the entrance to the area so they'd need to shovel a sh*t ton of stairs. For Great Adventure to do it they would need to open the entire Golden Kingdom or all the way back to Plaza De Carnival and staff / decorate all of that. For Six Flags America to do it they would need to open Gotham City and figure out a way to decorate a field with no buildings or trees and staff a ton of extra things.

I've ridden Superman in New England, El Toro and Kingda Ka in the low 30's during Fright Fest and in the spring, it just doesn't make sense for them to open those areas for Holiday in the Park.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby amy_mel » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:25 am

Skyrush in sub 30 degree temps????? Even I would pass on that one. My hands would be too numb to hold on!

Postby boldikus » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:17 am

^ That's what gloves are for!

10665049_10207634403132506_9082570495290779997_n.jpg
Who needs to hold on anyway?!

I think its hilarious that so many enthusiasts scoff at the idea of riding coasters in the cold, yet people do all sorts of activities outside in the cold in winter months - skiing, snowboarding, sledding, etc. Just bundle up, its fun!!

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby njcoasterguy34 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:24 am

^ I don't do any of that stuff. I stay nice and warm inside my apartment.
Only one word describes Green Lantern: "OW!"

Postby boldikus » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:27 am

You sound like a ton of fun.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Jason Maier » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:47 am

boldikus wrote:^ That's what gloves are for!

10665049_10207634403132506_9082570495290779997_n.jpg

I think its hilarious that so many enthusiasts scoff at the idea of riding coasters in the cold, yet people do all sorts of activities outside in the cold in winter months - skiing, snowboarding, sledding, etc. Just bundle up, its fun!!

Coastering in the fall/winter is way more enjoyable than getting scorched in July/August . . . (BTW, my favorite cold weather coaster is Roar at SFA)

I masturbate to pictures of Hercules.

Postby ImNotOneOfYou » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:46 pm

boldikus wrote:^ That's what gloves are for!

Or just don't hold on :Pr
Peek a boo!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:37 pm

I LOVE that more and more parks are opening their doors for the winter holiday season. I agree that Hershey opening yet another coaster is a way to stay relevant within the amusement park world.

I think they know people come to ride these rides. People are going to ride them regardless if its 100 degrees or 20 degrees. I went to Great Adventure the first year they had their holiday event and I think it was a well done event with a great number of rides open. Also, the weather changes consistently especially in the MD, PA, DE, VA area. One day in the winter it can be 30 degrees and the next it can be 60 degrees. When I went Great Adventure's event it was in the mid 50's all day. Perfect temp to ride all of the rides in a hoodie.

Will we see eventually where every ride is open? That is definitely a possibility but they need bodies to run them rides.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Sven18 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:36 pm

alilstronger wrote:I LOVE that more and more parks are opening their doors for the winter holiday season. I agree that Hershey opening yet another coaster is a way to stay relevant within the amusement park world.

There is more to do in the winter than ride coasters in 20 degree weather. April thru October is plenty. People need to diversify their hobbies.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!