Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 928: New Breakers Edge Water Coaster construction photos
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:40 pm

I've said that about Skyrush over and over. The airtime is bonkers but what makes it such a challenge to ride for most is that in addition to the upper body, your lower body is also out of control. I'm 6'2 and even on the inner seats can barely touch the floor. For a ride with such violent airtime and transitions, there's nothing holding you in but the edge of that airplane tray lapbar. I love the thing to death tho - that its trying to kill me is the big thrill. No other ride does it like Skyrush does. I long ago gave up trying to ride with my hands up. I find its best to just hang on for dear life, and to tuck my legs up under the seat. I've had very enjoyable rides like that, and now find the front to be a better ride that the back. I do get serious day after thigh pain if I ride a bunch in a row though.

And yes, there are two moments of airtime down the drop, most noticable toward the back of the train, namely the death seat (back left).

Also, nice report. I love Hershey and agree with most of what you posted. But next time post pics! ;)

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby amy_mel » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:08 pm

I have to agree with the others on Skyrush. I'm an adrenaline junkie and this coaster delivers every single ride. Only 2 of my kids will ride with me though and my oldest isn't a fan. After my first ride I said "I think that literally just tried to kill me for riding it". I could ride over and over all day. However I also don't have the problem with the restraint crushing my thighs. I'm 5'2 though so that may make a difference. I also said perhaps a different type of restraint or the ability to put your feet on the floor in the middle seats would make it more rideable for more people. All in all though it's my favorite steel coaster out there.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Password121 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:49 pm

I'll just chime in and say that I marathon Skyrush hands up because I'm cooler than everyone else and inherently better and...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But for real though I get the frustration but Skyrush is still my favorite coaster by quite a wide margin.
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby The Yeti » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:42 pm

zburns999 wrote:And because I forgot to mention it in my initial TR, I have to ask: has anyone else noticed that in the back half of the train, the first drop on Skyrush incorporates this (probably unintentional) little kick about halfway down the hill. You get the initial push out of the seat over the crown, and then about 2 seconds later comes this near-death-experience donkey kick type deal that is seriously the closest to death I've ever figured myself to be on a coaster (other than when my seat belt disconcertingly unbuckled at the beginning of Leviathan's first drop). That strange element really puts Skyrush's drop in a special place beyond my metaphorical Mount Rushmore of coaster drops (El Toro, Millennium Force, I305, Diamondback, Twisted Colossus in the back seat, etc.).

I've only ridden Skyrush three times, and I would say it's in my top 5, but I do need to ride it again to decide where it falls. The first drop is one of the clearest memories I have of the ride. In the back seat, after the initial yank of airtime and knowing the second one yank was coming, I just could not manage to keep my hands up. It is one coaster moment that actually scared me, but I absolutely love it.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby BigBad » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:05 pm

boldikus wrote:And yes, there are two moments of airtime down the drop, most noticable toward the back of the train, namely the death seat (back left).
I've definitely noticed both airtime moments down that drop, but are you suggesting that, on the first drop, you notice differences between the right and left wing seats?

My take on Skyrush is that its airtime makes it the finest coaster on Earth, and then it has to lose a couple of points because of uncomfortable harnesses and the sideways motions being rather unpleasant with so little against which I can brace myself, so it winds up as my #5.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:07 pm

Skyrush is my favorite coaster just because it is so damned out of control feeling (and I feel that I will end up somewhere out in the parking lot during some of those airtime moments.)

I'll agree with the "donkey kick" on the first drop. First time I rode, I was hands up....until about 1/4 of the way down the first drop.....when I screamed like a girl and held on for dear life :lmao: ;)

I masturbate to pictures of Hercules.

Postby ImNotOneOfYou » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:13 pm

If you can't handle Skyrush, Cocoa Cruiser is nearby :p :p
and i once waited 45 minutes for it
Peek a boo!

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:25 pm

BigBad wrote:
boldikus wrote:And yes, there are two moments of airtime down the drop, most noticable toward the back of the train, namely the death seat (back left).
I've definitely noticed both airtime moments down that drop, but are you suggesting that, on the first drop, you notice differences between the right and left wing seats?

No just that that second kick down the drop is more pronounced in the back as opposed to the front (tho I still feel it up there), but I did mention the left wing of the back row since that seems to be the "magic" seat as far as getting the craziest ride. Anywhere in the back is bonkers imo, but the back left I'll forever refer to as the death seat. It's a magic seat - but it convinces you death is imminent.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Genx24 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:54 pm

Boldikus is right. The back left seat was the craziest ride I ever experienced on a coaster. My first ever ride on Skyrush was in that seat; I was hanging on for dear life and enjoying every glorious second of it. Best coaster ever.
Skyrush/El Toro/Boulder Dash/Superman/New Texas Giant/Phantom's Revenge/Wicked Cyclone/Phoenix/Stormrunner/Xcelerator
Total coasters: 122

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:35 pm

I think the racer slide actually looks way more fun than the water coaster.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!