Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 928: New Breakers Edge Water Coaster construction photos
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The playground is where I spend most of my days

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby UrbanLegend » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:57 pm

I had figured the strips were there since the track was painted in the first place. The paint in those places is going to get worn off anyway, so why bother painting it? Saves a few bucks.
-Did you just say you have the right to be an attorney?
-Well, everyone has the right to be an attorney, if they want to.

I make music: https://tigercastle.bandcamp.com

Racing for the sky

Postby coasterlover420 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:04 pm

Pretty sure all Intamin coasters have those strips
~Signature~

I'll drink donkey urine before I'll drink a Pepsi.

Postby coasterferg » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:43 pm

What does everybody think of the Fast Track punch card thingy? I can't say I'm too impressed. You only get to jump to the front of the line ONCE for the rides on the card. From a picture cited on Screamscape the cards have Stormrunner, Sidewinder, Wildcat, Wild Mouse, Lightning Racer, Comet, Great Bear, and TrailBlazer.

I'll probably buy when I go in June just becuause it will be a rare trip for me, but for something that costs about the same as a Six Flags Q-bot yet you can only ride each ride once, the punch card seems pretty crappy... :?r
Coaster Count as of March 2018: 348

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:51 pm

coasterferg wrote:What does everybody think of the Fast Track punch card thingy? I can't say I'm too impressed. You only get to jump to the front of the line ONCE for the rides on the card. From a picture cited on Screamscape the cards have Stormrunner, Sidewinder, Wildcat, Wild Mouse, Lightning Racer, Comet, Great Bear, and TrailBlazer.

I'll probably buy when I go in June just becuause it will be a rare trip for me, but for something that costs about the same as a Six Flags Q-bot yet you can only ride each ride once, the punch card seems pretty crappy... :?r

I have never been to the park before so this would work out great for me. Having only one day to spend it would mean I get a chance to do everything at least once. For people who go to the park multiple times per year it is not such a great deal.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:03 am

I like the punch card option as it is a happy medium that appeases two groups.
Those who want to make a credit run through the park.
Those who get upset with people using a cut the line system to ride multiple times over an over.

I've purchased the Quick Queue at both Busch Gardens during Halloween Events just to assure I get rides on everything.

However, I wouldn't purchase if priced higher than $25, if higher priced I would expects less limitation on the number of uses.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:53 am

coasterfreak101 wrote:^^They already did a pull-through with a reach envelope, there isn't really a need for them to run trains through as well. When they did the Maverick pull-through, I know that they attached the reach envelope to a train with only two cars for the pull-through. But since they already sent the reach envelope around, there's no reason for them to do it all over again, so the next logical step is testing!

The pull through is also to check how the trains can articulate through all the curves in the track. I remember back when they were doing the Xcelerator pull through that a lot of attention was paid to the joints between the cars. On this ride, they might also want to check how close the outside seats get to each other while the train is articulating. Then again, on KK I don't remember them doing a pull through with real cars. We'll have to see, but that two-car train on the track looked awfully like what they might use for a pull through.
DISCLAIMER: Any information about rides presented here as fact has been taken from publicly available sources. The author readily admits that the rides may have been implemented differently than stated in the such sources. Any opinion statements are based on the author’s experience as a mechanical engineer and are not based on any insider knowledge or the wish to contradict those with such knowledge.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby Magnum PA » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:52 am

ahecht wrote: but that two-car train on the track looked awfully like what they might use for a pull through.

Or that the picture was taken before they put the rest of the cars on.
This is where I brag about how many roller coasters I've ridden because it shows how much I know about them.
This is where I list the number of steel coasters I've ridden, which is inflated with kiddie coasters, so that my count looks higher.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:03 am

gisco wrote:
coasterferg wrote:What does everybody think of the Fast Track punch card thingy? I can't say I'm too impressed. You only get to jump to the front of the line ONCE for the rides on the card. From a picture cited on Screamscape the cards have Stormrunner, Sidewinder, Wildcat, Wild Mouse, Lightning Racer, Comet, Great Bear, and TrailBlazer.

I have never been to the park before so this would work out great for me. Having only one day to spend it would mean I get a chance to do everything at least once. For people who go to the park multiple times per year it is not such a great deal.

I feel that way about Quick Queue at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. I don't feel compelled to buy it because I visit the park pretty often during the season, but it is handy if I have to hit Howl-o-Scream on a Saturday night with guests.

I agree that the punch card is OK for someone who's never been to the park before.

What is this, Joisey?

Postby Swimace » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:39 am

I have to agree that I'm underwhelmed with Hersheypark's skip the line feature.

IMO, there are three stand out coasters at Hersheypark: Storm Runner, Fahrenheit, and (soon) Skyrush. The skip the line pass only allows you access to one of these. While I understand Skyrush not being on the pass for its opening season, I think that Fahrenheit should be on there, especially since you can only use it once per ride and only a limited number are sold, so it wouldn't affect the stand by line too greatly.

So what... I can pay $50 to skip the line once on the boomerang? The Wild Mouse? I guess Great Bear is a plus... Meh.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:15 pm

Hershey is still new with the line skipping thing so once they figure it all out I am sure they will make improvements. Currently, I do not like what they are offering. I wish more parks would do like Cedar Fair and The Great Escape and just have a bracelet you buy and can use anytime all day by just going up the rides exit.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...

Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Wooden: Iron Rattler

TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!