Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 670 - Hersheypark Announces "Laff Trakk" for 2015
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Re: The Hersheypark Discussion Thread

Postby DougMJr » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:48 pm

309752_10150475159570930_500510929_10998361_784781024_n.jpg-1736826241.jpeg
Viewed 959 times

Is it wrong that this picture sorta turns me on? I'm so confused.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby talonec » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:20 pm

As a UCLA alum, I am very happy with the paint job :br

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby xmichellex » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:33 pm

I didn't think the colors were going to look as awesome as they do, the yellow is a great shade... this coaster is going to look amazing running through the park!
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Top Thrill (CP), i305 (KD), Kumba (BGT), Cali. Screamin' (DCA)
Top 5 Wood: El Toro (SFGAdv), Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), Lightning Racer (Hershey), Beast (KI), Yankee Cannonball (Canobie Lake)
Total Credits: 141

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby UnderCoverDrummer1 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:49 pm

The colors are definitely the bright contrast that the Comet Hollow area of the park needed. Between the dark blue of SDL, the black/grey of GB and the white of Comet, that section of the park was looking rather drab compared to other areas.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby GigaG » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:52 pm

Cool coaster, but I don't like the new intamin track. I've always had a spot in my heart for box track, and it is kinda sad to see its demise. My first looping coaster (Shockwave @ SFOT), giga (MF) and strata (TTD) that I rode were Intamins with box track. MF used to be my absolute favorite ride ever, and when I was younger I considered being a piece of its track for Halloween. Seriously.

RIP box track,

GUACAMOLE IS MY FRIEND

Postby Fooz » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:36 pm

GigaG wrote:Cool coaster, but I don't like the new intamin track. I've always had a spot in my heart for box track, and it is kinda sad to see its demise. My first looping coaster (Shockwave @ SFOT), giga (MF) and strata (TTD) that I rode were Intamins with box track. MF used to be my absolute favorite ride ever, and when I was younger I considered being a piece of its track for Halloween. Seriously.

RIP box track,

Cheetah hunt was built after I305, and features box track almost exclusively it seems. I think we can expect it to stick around based on the type of ride. I like the look of the skyrush track though, to me it says "serious buisiness".

Maveshark Team Leader and awesome dude!

Postby coasterkyle » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:58 am

GigaG wrote: My first looping coaster (Shockwave @ SFOT), giga (MF) and strata (TTD) that I rode were Intamins with box track.

Shockwave at SFOT is a Schwarzkopf just an FYI =)
Credits - 144 Favorites 1.Skyrush 2.Maverick 3. Phoenix

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby swiver » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:04 am

coasterkyle wrote:
GigaG wrote: My first looping coaster (Shockwave @ SFOT), giga (MF) and strata (TTD) that I rode were Intamins with box track.

Shockwave at SFOT is a Schwarzkopf just an FYI =)

Kyle, I don't think I would have been able to live to see tomorrow if I hadn't read that absolutely riveting comment of yours. I had NO IDEA that Shockwave at SFOT was a Schwarzkopf, WOW! Now I can finally die a happy man with that top secret information.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby mr. cockblock » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:42 am

Fooz wrote:
GigaG wrote:Cool coaster, but I don't like the new intamin track. I've always had a spot in my heart for box track, and it is kinda sad to see its demise. My first looping coaster (Shockwave @ SFOT), giga (MF) and strata (TTD) that I rode were Intamins with box track. MF used to be my absolute favorite ride ever, and when I was younger I considered being a piece of its track for Halloween. Seriously.

RIP box track,

Like Cheetah Hunt, Green Lantern at SFMM was built after I305 and it also uses the "box track". So like Fooz said I think its far from gone and the track type is probably just preference of the park where the coaster is being built.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:41 am

The new track is used to minimize supports for large-scale rides that would require a large number of support columns, which then need a large number of footers poured as well. At some point in scale, you break even with the cost of production of the bulkier track and the cost saved on supports and footers, and after that it makes sense financially and physically to use the double-spine track. So the box track isn't gone, but we're not going to see it used on anything of this scale with these forces being applied to the track.
Last Ride: El Toro (SFGAdv)
Next Ride: Skyrush (HP)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!