Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 953: Hersheypark teasing 2019 addition!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby anonymouscactus » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:42 am

Great report. Cool that you got to talk with a lot of the staff. Bblbz look disgusting.
Last edited by anonymouscactus on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:47 am.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby anonymouscactus » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:42 am

Nevermind, I can't read. Or post correctly today. Or edit my posts right. Delete me!

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:32 pm

So looks like Hershey has announced that in addition to adding Triple Tower to the Christmas Candy Line ride lineup they'll also run Sidewinder this year, bringing the total number of coasters operating during the event to 6 (for those taking notes thats: Wildcat, SDL, Cocoa Cruiser, Laff Trakk, Wild Mouse and now Sidewinder). They need to bite the bullet and just run Great Bear.

http://www.hersheypark.com/seasons/christmas.php

Oh what fun it is to ride...more than 50 of your favorite rides, including 6 coasters! Plus, for the first time ever during Hersheypark® Christmas Candylane®, enjoy Hershey Triple Tower™ and Sidewinder.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby coneyislandchris » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:06 am

boldikus wrote:So looks like Hershey has announced that in addition to adding Triple Tower to the Christmas Candy Line ride lineup they'll also run Sidewinder this year, bringing the total number of coasters operating during the event to 6 (for those taking notes thats: Wildcat, SDL, Cocoa Cruiser, Laff Trakk, Wild Mouse and now Sidewinder). They need to bite the bullet and just run all the damn coasters since they don't actually close any sections of the park outside of The Boardwalk.

Fixed that for you, Boldy. :)

On a related note, we're visiting this weekend, and I noticed online it says they changed the Sweet Start early entry access to include Kissing Tower Hill. Can anyone confirm if that means ALL the rides in that section or just select ones? I haven't been on Great Bear in about ten years at this point, and I definitely wanna change that.
That coaster dad [308] and that coaster kiddo [159]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Twisted Timbers. Lightning Rod. Wicked Cyclone. The Wild One. Goliath (SFGAm).

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:47 am

Not sure about that one. I do know the towers are open for it. Are you in the Hershey FB group? They'll know.

Also agreed they should just open all the coasters but with the Intamins as finicky as they are/can be I'm not holding my breath. But since the towers will be open for Candylane, and GreatAdv running four of their five B&Ms. Great Bear should be running.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:02 am

^ Can they run it, sure. Are they going to go out of their way if they don't have too? No.

Hershey's Christmas event pulls in plenty of money and is more family oriented. Unless they are changing their marketing to thrill seekers they won't have to open any of the major steel coasters.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:49 am

Jcoaster wrote:Unless they are changing their marketing to thrill seekers they won't have to open any of the major steel coasters.

Two years ago when Great Adventure started doing Holiday in the Park they opened coasters during the event for the first time ever. One of them was Laff Trakk which was new and probably would have been running regardless of what Great Adventure did but it's no coincidence that they decided to run Wildcat and Looper for the first time the same year Holiday in the Park opened.

Last year they decided to throw in the Wild Mouse for the first time, this year they're adding another coaster. Christmas Candylane started in 1983. Clearly they're responding to what the competition is doing.

While it's definitely a family event they clearly think it's worthwhile to keep adding coasters to their Christmas lineup.

Postby Jcoaster » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:51 am

I agree with that although they will draw the line at Great Bear and never run any of the Intamins in winter weather.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:58 am

Jcoaster wrote:I agree with that although they will draw the line at Great Bear and never run any of the Intamins in winter weather.

Based on what?

Every time there's speculation about a holiday event at any park anywhere people talk about how it can't happen. Then it happens and people say they can't run their coasters. Then they run their coasters and say they can't run certain coasters and list a bunch of reasons. Then they run those coasters and they move on to the next coaster.

You might be right, but based on what we've seen there's no reason to confidently say that they'll draw the line at a specific coaster. I could absolutely see them running more and more coasters down the line. There's a B&M floorless running in Massachusetts this winter and B&M inverts running in St Louis and New Jersey this winter (and running really well by the way).

Postby Jcoaster » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:03 am

Im going off the basis of the Intamins are less durable than the B&M's in cold weather from what we have seen which is why the B&M's have been running during winter events while Intamin's haven't.

I remember seeing Intamin's have a minimum degrees requirement to run while B&M's will run in the middle of a Blizzard.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!