Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 953: Hersheypark teasing 2019 addition!
Users viewing this topic: VegasBaby and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby VegasBaby » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:40 pm

hoppedup wrote:Preview is an awesome feature! We had a little trouble getting in and were able to get:

Comet
Skyrush
Superdooperlooper
Great Bear
Trailblazer
Storm Runner
Fahrenheit x 2
Wildcat
Laff Trakk
Lightning Racer

We got the last ride of the night on LR. Most everything was a walk-on or station wait. Laff Trakk was only real wait at about 20 minutes. Fun, but one and done.

Wildcat should be burned to the ground. Truly awful.

Looking forward to re-rides on many of the others tomorrow.

The Preview night is a great feature at Hershey and everyone should take advantage of it, especially since the park is open until 10pm. We went a few years ago in mid-June and the park really emptied out around 8pm each night. I did the preview night by myself bc the wife and kids were tired and I got about 5 rides each on Skyrush, SR, and Fahrenheit in about 2 hours. The early entry is great too if you stay at one of the Hershey properties, it's basically like an hour of ERT on Skyrush, Comet, and SDL.
Coaster Count: 187 Last Coaster: Fu11 Throttle
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) Twisted Colossus 6) Maverick 7) Top Thrill Dragster 8) Mako 9) Lightning Rod 10) Storm Runner

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:36 am

What time do the gates close? What I mean is do you have to be there by a certain time for pass preview?

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:43 am

You don't have to be there at a certain time, but they won't let you in until two and a half hours before the park closes. So you can go in any time you want after 7:30 PM on most days, as the park closes at 10 PM.

Weekends when the park closes at 11 PM, you get three and a half hours (same 7:30 PM entry time). If you're staying at one of their resorts you get even more time.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Zand » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:30 am

The last few times I've been to Hershey have all been weekends and it works great. Buy a ticket for Sunday and you have 3 1/2 hours for preview Saturday. Not to mention the last couple times I've been they've kept rides near the center open an extra 30+ mins (including Fahrenheit) so that's even more of a bonus. I find the crowds to be surprisingly manageable on Saturday nights there. Skyrush will have a big line but LR, Wildcat, SDL all very short lines and even Storm Runner was a walk on last time I was there.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby steamedturtle » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:49 am

Made our first trip to Hershey in 9 years, and I just had to share some thoughts on Skyrush.

It took a few rides on Skyrush for it to click, and for me to “get it,” and realize its brilliance. Thankfully, I was able to get a lot of rides in, including some stay in my seat night rides.

The air time is up there with the best of them. I don’t know if it’s stronger than El Toro or not, but due to the open-air seating, and the way the restraints are, it feels like it’s trying to throw you out to your death, which is hilarious! The first drop in the back seat at night made me giggle in a way that only a Steel Vengeance night ride has this year - for a split second, I really thought I was going to die. Instead of you coming up against a traditional lap bar, which you know will hold you in, you feel yourself sliding out of the restraints; it’s a unique sensation on a coaster.

Yes, the restraints are uncomfortable. On my first few rides, they were so uncomfortable, and the sensations were so unfamiliar, it distracted from the ride. But once I learned the layout and could prepare myself properly, I really started enjoying it. Skyrush demands active participation, which not everyone is going to be down for understandably. But I do think it would be better if the lap bar simply came down across your lap, rather than your thighs. Thankfully, while you're sitting on the brake run, the restraints actually pop open about an inch or two, to provide relief before you roll back into the station.

The rest of the park was great too. We went on Monday. The weather was beautiful, the park was pretty packed, but the lines weren't bad at all. Lot's of parents with strollers... Stayed the full 12 hours.

A few photos:

GB.jpg

GB2.jpg

SC2.jpg

SR.jpg

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:42 am

^ Skyrush is amazing.

In other Hershey news...

After 3 riders fall off rafts, Hersheypark reminds people how to ride new water coaster
That headline :lol: :lol:

Hersheypark confirmed Monday that three riders of its new water coaster, Breakers Edge, fell off the rafts since the ride began operating May 26. The riders all ended up in the ride's slide area, which Hersheypark spokeswoman Kaylee Dugan said is much like a water slide. None of the three was injured, therefore Hersheypark was not required to report it to the state Department of Agriculture, which oversees inspections of rides, Dugan said.

"Like all amusement rides, Breakers Edge requires that riders adhere to the required ride protocols -- such as, in this instance, holding on to the raft's handles during the ride," Dugan wrote. "We are aware of 3 occurrences when a rider let go of the raft handles and ended up on the ride's slide area."

Still, the state Department of Agriculture says Hersheypark did report the incidents, even though they didn't meet the threshold for required reporting, which is having a rider sent out of the park for medical assessment or treatment.

Shannon Powers, Agriculture department spokesman, confirmed there were three instances reported by Hersheypark in which riders fell off of the raft when they weren't following instructions to hold on.

"The park added lifeguards as a precaution after a rider fell off the raft during the testing period," Powers said.

The Breakers Edge ride was inspected and approved before it was open to the public, Powers said. The ride was inspected May 25 and June 22, which were required monthly inspections, she said, adding that the park may do more frequent inspections of its own.

The ride has passed all safety tests and is inspected by park operations and maintenance personnel daily, Dugan said in an email.

Guest safety is a priority at the park, Dugan said.

"As we do with every ride, we are monitoring usage and the ride's operations daily, which will allow us to make ongoing refinements and improvements to the ride and rider experience," she said in the email.

I won't be surprised when they install seatbelts.

Postby prozach626 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:32 pm

I always love the common sense copy/paste safety statement. It's good to see that the park is covering their A$$ and also standing its ground vs. shutting the ride down indefinitely to add bubble wrap.

Postby cal1br3tto » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:55 pm

boldikus wrote:"After 3 riders fall off rafts, Hersheypark reminds people how to ride new water coaster"
That headline :lol: :lol:

Yeah, that is low key hilarious.

prozach626 wrote:

I always love the common sense copy/paste safety statement.

Not saying this to personally disagree, but just to randomly riff of that: I f--king hate those statements, to the point of irrational ire. Conversely, I love that 1 in 100 article or press release where a park has good cause to say something like that, but doesn't (or it isn't obnoxiously and condescendingly overemphasized).
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby amy_mel » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:06 pm

After my first ride on the water coaster, I can see how some people would instinctually take their hands off the handles. It continuously sprays water in your face the entire ride. They also make children ride behind the parent. My 8 year old was extremely nervous about it. I stressed to her no matter what to not let go but it was nerve wracking with her being where I couldn't see her without turning around. In the end she kept her eyes closed and I yelled back to her what was coming next. She held on but she said she wanted to let go to wipe her face. I'll probably ride again (minus the 120 minute wait some days) but she says she won't.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Condor » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:29 pm

steamedturtle wrote:It took a few rides on Skyrush for it to click, and for me to “get it,” and realize its brilliance. Thankfully, I was able to get a lot of rides in, including some stay in my seat night rides.

Yes, the restraints are uncomfortable. On my first few rides, they were so uncomfortable, and the sensations were so unfamiliar, it distracted from the ride. But once I learned the layout and could prepare myself properly, I really started enjoying it. Skyrush demands active participation, which not everyone is going to be down for understandably.

This is exactly how I feel. I rode it 23 times over two days this week and it only cemented why it's been my favorite for so long. Active participation is the perfect way to describe it. I had to devise a method for riding it, but once I figured it out, it reached a thrill level that nothing else has quite matched for me. This is why Skyrush is so polarizing and why I love it.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!