SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 608: Craft Beer Festival & Jack Hanna Weekend report!
Users viewing this topic: Lotologist492 and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:46 am

It all looks wonderful - love the great selection of local craft beers.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:29 pm

15 tickets for $60 is a no brainer, here = Sold! Probably, twice. :)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:01 pm

Everything looks awesome, but I think I'd most enjoy the wild boar sausage. I actually have had that before thanks to a friend who likes to hunt and share what he's hunted. Sea World's version looks great.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:09 am

I looked on the SeaWorld Orlando website, but unlike BGT, didn't see anywhere they have posted ride refurb closings for this year. Does anybody happen to know this information, where to find it, or whether the coasters at SWO even go through the scheduled downtime? Thanks!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby The Geek Mojo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:49 am

I was a SeaWorld Orlando Saturday and it's hard to imagine that this park is struggling...Cause it was packed! Every show was full, all the rides had wait times and the pathways were jammed. Lines for food and drinks were even long. It was this way at Busch Gardens too on Sunday. Both places were incrediaby crowded. People still love these parks! So, I'm not a believer of people who say attractions are being shut down for cost cutting measures. Maybe, there's a plan for future development in those areas of the park. Getting tired of people assuming shit and acting like there's a problem. SeaWorld looks to be doing just fine!

Also, Journey to Atlantis is open again! Was happy to see that this past weekend. But, the Sky Tower is back to charging money again. $2 a ride if you're not a pass holder.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:22 am

The Geek Mojo wrote:Getting tired of people assuming shit and acting like there's a problem. SeaWorld looks to be doing just fine!

Yup. Just fine.

Untitled.jpg
5 Year SEAS stock price, which is made even more pathetic by the strong upward trend in the market over this same period of time.

SeaWorld reports that their attendance and revenue are down in Q3 2017
SeaWorld reports that their attendance and revenue are down in Q2 2017
SeaWorld (SEAS) Q1 2017 Loss Wider Than Expected
SeaWorld sees drops in attendance, revenue in Q4 2016
Crappy Q3 2016 Conference Call Transcript
SeaWorld shares sink to record low as attendance keeps falling Q2 2016
SeaWorld reports net loss, says Florida attendance down (Q1 2016)
... and so on, and so on

But yeah. SeaWorld is doing fine! I too am sick of people "assuming there's a problem" just because the stock price is tanking in an otherwise spectacular market and the park has been directly reporting major attendance and revenue drops every single quarter for years. Fake news!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:37 pm

The Geek Mojo wrote:Also, Journey to Atlantis is open again! Was happy to see that this past weekend. But, the Sky Tower is back to charging money again. $2 a ride if you're not a pass holder.

Hopefully it will be open when I'm there in 2 weeks. It was closed back in November. I really wanted to get the views of the B&Ms from the air.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Postby The Geek Mojo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:45 am

coasterbill wrote:
The Geek Mojo wrote:Getting tired of people assuming shit and acting like there's a problem. SeaWorld looks to be doing just fine!

Yup. Just fine.

Untitled.jpg

SeaWorld reports that their attendance and revenue are down in Q3 2017
SeaWorld reports that their attendance and revenue are down in Q2 2017
SeaWorld (SEAS) Q1 2017 Loss Wider Than Expected
SeaWorld sees drops in attendance, revenue in Q4 2016
Crappy Q3 2016 Conference Call Transcript
SeaWorld shares sink to record low as attendance keeps falling Q2 2016
SeaWorld reports net loss, says Florida attendance down (Q1 2016)
... and so on, and so on

But yeah. SeaWorld is doing fine! I too am sick of people "assuming there's a problem" just because the stock price is tanking in an otherwise spectacular market and the park has been directly reporting major attendance and revenue drops every single quarter for years. Fake news!

I get this reply. It makes sense you would say this in reply to my post. I agree with the stock going down and attendance dropping. But I was talking about attractions being closed. There hasn't been any confirmation on why attractions are closed. There is confirmation on layoffs. But when people say an attraction is being closed down because of that, it isn't confirmed. It's a possibility, but not confirmed. That was my point.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:04 am

Your post never implied that you were specifically talking about ride closures, just the fact that you went and the park was busy that particular day so "SeaWorld looks to be doing just fine!"

Either way though, even if you're just referring to ride closures... come on.

They talk at length about their (in their words) "cost reduction efforts" on their conference calls. On their Q3 call Marc Swanson stated that they had identified an additional 25 million in potential cost savings and "fully expect to achieve $40 million in net fixed cost savings by the end of 2018". Eventually you run out of people to lay off.

Do you honestly expect a "confirmation" on that? They're not going to state openly that they're closing rides for budget and not reducing ticket prices.

They've closed

- Theater by Zagora Cafe
- Gwazi
- Rhino Rally
- Terrace Restaurant
- Bird Gardens Gift Shop
- Tidal Wave
- Curiosity Caverns/ Jambo Junction
- Questor
- Jungle Flyers
- Wild Surge
- Treetop Trails
- Curse of DarKastle

...and others and left them sitting unused, and that's just their East Coast parks.

They've also cut back operating hours, cut back on show times, replaced Blue Horizons with a cheaper show, fired the mimes from the Clyde and Seamore show and closed tons of food stands. They haven't replaced any of these things (except Blue Horizons with a cheaper show). They have re-opened a few things seasonally.

Obviously these are budget moves. They speak openly about their cost reduction efforts and they haven't replaced any of these things. Hell, they haven't even been able to afford to remove most of them. They just leave things sitting around because they have no money.

Of course they're budget cuts.

Postby The Geek Mojo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:13 am

coasterbill wrote:Oh come on. They talk at length about their (in their words) "cost reduction efforts" on their conference calls. On their Q3 call Marc Swanson stated that they had identified an additional 25 million in potential cost savings and "fully expect to achieve $40 million in net fixed cost savings by the end of 2018". Eventually you run out of people to lay off.

Do you honestly expect a "confirmation" on that? They're not going to state openly that they're closing rides for budget and not reducing ticket prices.

They've closed

- Theater by Zagora Cafe
- Gwazi
- Rhino Rally
- Terrace Restaurant
- Bird Gardens Gift Shop
- Tidal Wave
- Curiosity Caverns/ Jambo Junction
- Questor
- Jungle Flyers
- Wild Surge
- Treetop Trails
- Curse of DarKastle

...and others and left them sitting unused, and that's just their East Coast parks.

They've also cut back operating hours, cut back on show times, replaced Blue Horizons with a cheaper show, fired the mimes from the Clyde and Seamore show and closed tons of food stands. They haven't replaced any of these things (except Blue Horizons with a cheaper show). They have re-opened a few things seasonally.

Obviously these are budget moves. They speak openly about their cost reduction efforts and they haven't replaced any of these things. Hell, they haven't even been able to afford to remove most of them. They just leave things sitting around because they have no money.

Of course they're budget cuts.

You have a good point. But what about the new additions?

- Mako
- Cobra's Curse
- Electric Eel
- Wavebreaker
- InvadR

Hell, they're even giving Sesame Place a new coaster. I think we should give SeaWorld more credit. I think getting old attractions shut down is sad...But they're still adding new stuff. I think people focus so much on the negative about SeaWorld and forget about all the positive. And I like Blue Horizons replacement!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!