SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 578: Kraken Unleashed Media Preview photos & video posted
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:41 pm

Today Theme Park Review was invited to preview Kraken Unleashed, the new virtual reality experience taking over the classic Kraken B&M floorless coaster at SeaWorld Orlando. This new offering brings an added level of story to the otherwise straightforward coaster and manages to retcon the presence of Journey to Atlantis in the park to form a thematic corner in which the two attractions are now more closely connected. The coaster's queue structures have been lightly refreshed to take on a new theming; gone are the Mediterranean architectural influences and in their place are metal and futuristic design elements that indicate that this is a scientific research facility.

Once inside of the coaster station, the loading and dispatch process has been updated to reflect the updated restraints and most importantly, the securing of the VR headsets. Kraken Unleashed is not a mandatory experience, allowing riders to opt out of the virtual reality in favor of the more traditional coaster experience. At the end of each ride, ride attendants will clean each headset with a sanitation wipe before putting it in the secure box attached to the coaster restraints. It is one of the few VR coaster experiences around the world that does not have an age restriction, rather relying purely on the guest's height to determine if they are eligible to ride based on a 54 inches height restriction. The over the shoulder restraints have been modified to feature a new grip as well as metal bars that hold up the resting container for the VR headsets. At the beginning of each ride, the ride attendants assist riders with securing their headsets and adjusting the lens to ensure that riders get the most visual clarity out of their virtual reality experience. At the end of each ride, ride attendants will clean each headset with a sanitation wipe before putting it in the secure box attached to the coaster restraints.

Looking at these processes and the added work required to load, unload and dispatch trains certainly impacts the operation. Kraken has traditionally had multiple trains in operation and has had a solid hourly capacity, but now with the above-mentioned causes for delays, the dispatch times are significantly higher than what most past riders will remember. This will likely present a challenge for SeaWorld, especially during the busy Summer ahead. It has yet to be confirmed if the other trains used by Kraken previous have been/will be updated for this new experience but SeaWorld will be launching a new virtual queueing option with the grand opening of Kraken Unleashed, which will hopefully help the park in reducing wait time for this coaster.

From a detail and story standpoint, Kraken Unleashed succeeds in some unexpected ways. It was fitting that my first VR coaster would also be the first major roller coaster I rode as a child growing up. Kraken Unleashed brings a compelling and fast-paced story that synchronizes audio, motion and the maneuvers of the floorless coaster's track layout to bring together an immersive experience that caught me by surprise. There were few moments where the VR shown didn't pair perfectly with the train's movements (those moments came most towards the end of the coaster) but aside from that, the VR film managed to integrate a good number of the coaster's more uniquely-felt moments.

Kraken Unleashed ties together two of the park's thrill attractions, built in the heyday of SeaWorld Adventure Park when the focus was on thrill rides and not on theming. With this update, there's a slight increase in theming throughout the queue to help ground the new story. It manages to tell a new and exciting story that explains why Journey to Atlantis is present in the park. With the only other VR coaster experience currently offered in Orlando being Freedom Flyer VR at Fun Spot America, this new experience stands out as a quality plussing of a classic but in some ways tired coaster. If SeaWorld Orlando can nail down their operating procedures to focus on reducing dispatch times, I believe that this could be a big draw for the park, providing an influx of new and repeat guests eager to see the changes to this notable coaster.
IMG_9745.JPG
We visited SeaWorld Orlando this morning to check out Kraken Unleashed!
IMG_9746.JPG
We're in the right place!
IMG_9744.JPG
About to head in!
IMG_9748.JPG
The park signage has been updated to highlight Kraken Unleashed!
IMG_9755.JPG
The entrance and queue for the attraction have been refreshed to reflect the new story as seen within the VR experience.
IMG_9763.JPG
The inside of the station has been given some new tech upgrades as well to help keep the dispatch times down.
IMG_9767.JPG
We were pleasantly surprised! Kraken Unleashed is a really good VR experience! And it ties into Journey to Atlantis in a really neat way!
IMG_9770.JPG
A look at the side profile of the modified seats on Kraken Unleashed.
IMG_9773.JPG
The story of Kraken Unleashed retcons the presence of Journey to Atlantis in SeaWorld by explaining how the city came to the surface during your Kraken Unleashed ride experience.
IMG_9799.JPG
Guests have the option to ride Kraken Unleashed without the VR headsets for a more traditional coaster experience.
IMG_9837.JPG
The Kraken Unleashed VR experience synchronizes the visuals with the coaster's maneuvers to provide an immersive ride.
IMG_9842.JPG
The Kraken Unleashed queue has been updated to feel more like the scientific research facility seen at the start of the VR experience.
IMG_9844.JPG
The KRKN Launch Station is where your submarine will depart Launch Bay Alpha to begin your Kraken Unleashed experience.
IMG_9847.JPG
The former Mediterranean architectural elements have been covered with research facility design elements to help set the setting for the ride's new story.
IMG_9849.JPG
The company behind this expedition appears to have several tours available for guests to enjoy.
IMG_9850.JPG
IMG_9853.JPG
Subtle changes for those that knew the former queue design, but they do make a little bit of difference.
IMG_9854.JPG
Noted!
IMG_9856.JPG
Also noted!
IMG_9859.JPG
Another look at the updated Kraken Unleashed entrance.
IMG_9863.JPG
A full rundown of notes for potential riders of Kraken Unleashed...
IMG_9882.JPG
This is still the Kraken you know and love, but with even more fun thanks to the new VR experience!
IMG_9893.JPG
The old Kraken cave has been updated with the removal of the old eggs but the addition of the Kraken's tentacle.
IMG_0853.JPG
The Kraken Unleashed station has been given some tech upgrades including the same kind of dispatch monitor as found in Mako's station.
IMG_0852.JPG
The addition of the VR headsets adds a significant amount of effort in getting guests ready for dispatch and as a result, the dispatch times for Kraken will inevitably increase.
IMG_0854.JPG
Do you see our Rider Cam POV video? If not, stop what you're doing, scroll to the top of this post and watch it all the way through!
IMG_0860.JPG
Signage throughout the park reminds guests that the new experience is now available to enjoy at SeaWorld Orlando.
IMG_9899.JPG
Journey to Atlantis and Kraken Unleashed are now more closely tied in story thanks to the new VR experience!
Kraken Sub Base.png
Dive! Dive! Dive!
Kraken Kelp Forest.png
When Kraken Unleashed was first announced, this image was shared from the ride experience and many assumed that this was the namesake Kraken... But they were wrong.
Kraken Lava Field.png
Without spoiling anything, this scene is a significant part of the story of how Journey to Atlantis ends up above water.
Kraken Volcano Climb 1.png
You explore the ocean waters alongside these submarines along your journey.
Kraken Volcano Climb 2.png
A dark and ominous drop off is never a good thing for a story to have... And here it is no different.
Kraken Unleashed RPOV Inverted.jpg
The Kraken dispatch team manages to ensure that the VR headsets are snug and secure at all times.
Kraken Unleashed Voyage.jpg
Kraken Unleashed Logo.jpg
Special thanks to SeaWorld Orlando for inviting us to try out Kraken Unleashed. With ability to enjoy the classic coaster experience with or without the new VR headsets, this refreshed offering plusses Kraken in many way.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:43 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:04 am

jedimaster1227 wrote:At the beginning of each ride, the ride attendants assist riders with securing their headsets and adjusting the lens to ensure that riders get the most visual clarity out of their virtual reality experience. At the end of each ride, ride attendants will clean each headset with a sanitation wipe before putting it in the secure box attached to the coaster restraints.

This right here is the part that I sort of question...

Based on what I've been told, all this happens WHILE YOU'RE SITTING IN YOUR SEAT, correct? On the Six Flags and Europa Park version of VR, all of the "adjustment" and "cleaning" process is done BEFORE and AFTER the guests board the train, which cuts down on the operational part of it significantly. So you can already adjust your VR headset to fit your head BEFORE the airgates even open, and you hand your headset to someone OFF of the ride to clean, so that the next group of people can start boarding without waiting.

It would seem to me that having the adjustment and cleaning as part of the actual boarding process of the ride would significantly impact dispatches and I wonder why they didn't try to move this process to being outside of the actual "boarding the train" process as to not slow things down even further. The dispatches are bad enough at Six Flags, I can't image what they would be like there if they had these additional processes on top of that.
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:11 am.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby MIAfan88 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:17 am

I'm not a fan of VR coasters, but this looks amazing.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby anonymouscactus » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:42 am

The new night time show that premiered last night looks really nice for a SeaWorld Production. I approve. They are really trying and stepping up their game in so many ways, unfortunately I don't think it will ever be good enough at this point for the park to really succeed... which is a shame

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:36 am

robbalvey wrote:It would seem to me that having the adjustment and cleaning as part of the actual boarding process of the ride would significantly impact dispatches and I wonder why they didn't try to move this process to being outside of the actual "boarding the train" process as to not slow things down even further. The dispatches are bad enough at Six Flags, I can't image what they would be like there if they had these additional processes on top of that.

I'll take a shot at it for the sake of discussion -

Perhaps they want to eliminate any possibility of the VR animation getting out of sync based on changing seats? With the Kraken setup the correct headset is always in the correct seat. If you had 128 headsets (enough for 3 trains' worth plus another full load being set up before boarding), I'd bet that it would be a chore to keep them all in the correct order, especially if the team on the platform needs to keep moving fast and just plug whichever headset in the nearest charger. If a guest decides at the last minute, "I want to do the VR experience now" the operator would probably have to spend more time setting up the experience for their specific seat, and then spend the time adjusting the lenses anyway. Keeping everything restricted to individual seats that never change eliminates that and the operators only have to focus (ba dum tss) their efforts on focusing the headsets so guests can see.
A new urban amusement park? Check out this project that I've been working on!
Check out my portfolio on Wordpress!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:35 pm

A.J. wrote:
robbalvey wrote:It would seem to me that having the adjustment and cleaning as part of the actual boarding process of the ride would significantly impact dispatches and I wonder why they didn't try to move this process to being outside of the actual "boarding the train" process as to not slow things down even further. The dispatches are bad enough at Six Flags, I can't image what they would be like there if they had these additional processes on top of that.

I'll take a shot at it for the sake of discussion -

Perhaps they want to eliminate any possibility of the VR animation getting out of sync based on changing seats? With the Kraken setup the correct headset is always in the correct seat. If you had 128 headsets (enough for 3 trains' worth plus another full load being set up before boarding), I'd bet that it would be a chore to keep them all in the correct order, especially if the team on the platform needs to keep moving fast and just plug whichever headset in the nearest charger. If a guest decides at the last minute, "I want to do the VR experience now" the operator would probably have to spend more time setting up the experience for their specific seat, and then spend the time adjusting the lenses anyway. Keeping everything restricted to individual seats that never change eliminates that and the operators only have to focus (ba dum tss) their efforts on focusing the headsets so guests can see.

Is this even how this works? I was under the impression with all the other VR coasters I've done that something triggers the VR to start when the ride ops sends the train, and that is what starts the animation and syncs it all up.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby anonymouscactus » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Let me preface by saying I have never done a VR coaster experience and I can't say for sure this is how it works. This is based on what I believe I remember reading about the technology.

I have no idea how the Kraken headsets work as they appear to be a completely different system, but for the Six Flags coasters with the Samsung VR headsets, I believe I remember reading that the headsets sync to a 'black box' on the train via Bluetooth, and the box itself knows where it is on the track due to various Sync Points on the track itself which tells the black box controller 'I just passed X point on the track'. This accounts for variations in speed due to weight of the train, weather conditions, or if the train were to say stop on the lift hill, the video could resume when it passes over the next sync point.

I'd imagine there is a similar system in place on Kraken with some sort of sync on the track itself to account for variations, and that it wouldn't be a static video length / it would slightly speed up or slow down the video at various points, or jump cut occasionally without the rider really noticing.

I could be way off, but having operated Kraken myself on cold windy days vs warm full trains without wind, there is a pretty hefty variation in runtimes, so I'm curious how the system accounts for that, if at all, or if they would get more out of sync (but not enough for the rider to notice) as the ride goes on.

Does anyone have more information about the setup of Kraken's VR or can confirm my understanding of the Six Flags VR coasters?

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:28 pm

The Kraken Unleashed station has been given some tech upgrades including the same kind of dispatch monitor as found in Mako's station.

The coasters at Busch Gardens Williamsburg have similar monitors now, as well.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:29 pm

robbalvey wrote:Is this even how this works? I was under the impression with all the other VR coasters I've done that something triggers the VR to start when the ride ops sends the train, and that is what starts the animation and syncs it all up.

The whole "specific seat" thing would probably have to happen because the ride motion is different depending on whether you're in the front or back of the train. I personally am not familiar with how these work. However, based on my own experiences, I would suspect that it functions in a similar manner to NoLimits in that there are 32 (in the case of Kraken) different "viewing points" for the ride, and each seat assigned to its corresponding viewing point. Though, you could argue that you could reduce it to 8, one per row, for the sake of simplicity.

I just think that viewing an animation where you're sort of hung over the edge, but in actuality are being yanked over because you're in the back seat, would probably cause a bit of motion sickness. After all, what causes motion sickness is when what you're seeing doesn't match up with what you're feeling.
A new urban amusement park? Check out this project that I've been working on!
Check out my portfolio on Wordpress!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:24 pm

A.J. wrote:
robbalvey wrote:Is this even how this works? I was under the impression with all the other VR coasters I've done that something triggers the VR to start when the ride ops sends the train, and that is what starts the animation and syncs it all up.

The whole "specific seat" thing would probably have to happen because the ride motion is different depending on whether you're in the front or back of the train. I personally am not familiar with how these work. However, based on my own experiences, I would suspect that it functions in a similar manner to NoLimits in that there are 32 (in the case of Kraken) different "viewing points" for the ride, and each seat assigned to its corresponding viewing point. Though, you could argue that you could reduce it to 8, one per row, for the sake of simplicity.

I just think that viewing an animation where you're sort of hung over the edge, but in actuality are being yanked over because you're in the back seat, would probably cause a bit of motion sickness. After all, what causes motion sickness is when what you're seeing doesn't match up with what you're feeling.

Yeah but....the calibration step didn't start on the Six Flags rides until after you were seated either. The difference is you still got your headset and put it almost all the way on before the air gates opened. So when you sat down all you had to do was pull down the restraint, then pull the headset down a tiny bit from the top of your head and there were QR codes on the back of the seats in front of you that calibrated your headset to your specific position.

This way head seats are not tied to one seat or row. No sorting required.

The cleaning also occurred off ride.

I also question the headset staying with the seat. Adds a ton to the actual loading/unloading process.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!